Is the Nomad a no brainer?

frankaudio

I know that the ops question was about the nomad being a no brainer, which for me it was. It's exactly the unit I was looking for.

My suggestion is to seriously look at your needs at the moment and think about your wireless investment. Good wireless is essential for me, and in most of the work I do I could do a lot more with good wireless and lower end mixers and recorders than the other way around. That's just me and my jobs though. Yours will likely be different.

http://wanderingear.net

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have both a 302 and a Nomad 6, and I love them both. If I was renting, though, I sure wouldn't want to rent a Nomad unless I had plenty of time to learn how to use it first - it wasn't very intuitive (at least for me) to learn, and the manual is from the 2.61 version. BUT, I say the Nomad is a no brainer.

" if I were to make a Mac/PC analogy, "A

Mac is a PC made by Apple >:(

Perhaps a MAC OS vs Windows analogy ?? ::)

" Most recorders these days mix, but not all mixers record. "I

would say that some recorders also mix, but few mixers also record. ^_^

" There is nothing intuitive about a 788T or 744T unless it was set up for you and you just need to press record. I found the Fostex machines *easier* to get running, but that's because they have 5000 external switches and dials, "

My "film school" students have the same experiences of SD vs. Fostex 8)

As I read this thread, I keep thinking about SD 552... :unsure:

I'm seeing the 744T at $4100 and the Nomad 4 for $3900 so who's selling the Nomad for a lot less?

I see. The price was raised. I got my nomad 6 for $4400. The nomad 4 was $3300. But still at $3900 the nomad 4 packs 6 pres 10 channel mixer with 6 outs. Not to mention all the nice perks like visual slate, extra 20db input and the amazing mixer matrix. I would say the nomad 4 has 3 times the I/O of 744t.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

Oh and nomad has proper knobs. I have used the 744t without a mixer and while possible to get good results it was not a very comfortable workflow.

I do agree with most of your points. But the 744 is far from done. It's still a great machine.

Don't get me wrong the 744t is an amazing machine and it served me well for years. I am just saying the price is too much for what you get. Sound devices really have to impress this year at NAB because for every Nomad sold they loose market share and money. But that is the price they pay for loosing their monopoly status.

Don't get me wrong the 744t is an amazing machine and it served me well for years. I am just saying the price is too much for what you get. Sound devices really have to impress this year at NAB because for every Nomad sold they loose market share and money. But that is the price they pay for loosing their monopoly status.

Yah you are right. Sound Devices is going to need to do some price dropping on all there mixers and recorders to compete.

I'm interested to see what NAB will have.

I was going to sell my 552 and get a Nomad but I'm just not sold on it yet. I have a Fusion that I love. Both are serving me well so need to change anything.

I had a 442/744t combo for quite a few years and it served me very well. It was a rock solid combo and money very well spent. I now have a Fusion 12 that I love and it integrates so well with the Zaxcom wireless and IFB system that I can't imagine switching to another system. I am pondering getting a Nomad 8 for bag work and leaving the Fusion for the cart.

Just a thought. :)

www.matthewfreed.com

Production Sound Mixing for TV, Films, and Commercials

(Tangent) You know whats funny? The Aeta 4MinX predates the Nomad with most of the same features, but you never hear about it. I remember being very in love with the little Mixy when it was at PSS.

Not really the same features, not really the same price range. Preamps - maybe even better in the 4Minx but the whole Nomad package is highly above the 4Minx package. Before I decided to buy a Nomad I looked at both 788 and 4Minx as well as the Tascam HS82 but the Nomad 8 package was the best deal for me.

Frank, I'm not sure where you are located, but there are nomads and SD products on display at audio houses. You might think about visiting a place and trying one out for yourself. There is a lot of hype that goes around about gear, and a lot of advertising. There is a big wide world of professional sound equipment out there. Explore it!

I agree about past experience and preference/familiarity with different manufacturer's products being relevant. That's why I had also posted the same thing that you did here; it's not a no brainer until you play with it yourself and compare it to other options.

My point, of course, was for the OP to get his hands on it first, if possible. Don't buy on hype. Just like test driving a car, he might not like the model that others are fawning over.

Don't get me wrong the 744t is an amazing machine and it served me well for years. I am just saying the price is too much for what you get.

I tend to agree. I loved my 744t for years, and the 702t before that. But, producers started telling me two years ago that my equipment was outdated. :wacko: So, I upgraded to the Zaxcom Fusion. I am thinking of getting a Nomad this year, or perhaps another Fusion. The 788t is disappointing, to me (comparitively). It's metering and knob control leaves a lot to be desired. And, while the older models are still great... they are a bit pricey for equipment that is less desired by productions.

I am still a big fan of the SD 442, and own one for single system shoots. My 302 (my first love) started getting sick, and needing repairs. I like the metering and knob control better on the 442, so I parted ways with the 302 and stuck with my 442. I think it is a great mixer...

The 744 is not the 788... I was told that four tracks was not sufficient anymore. The 788 is sufficient... I just find it to be disappointing. I do bag work with the Fusion, without complaint. I am considering the Nomad for bag work. At the time, the Nomad was not available. But, I love my Fusion... so, I have no complaints.