Rechargeable lithium-ion 9V batteries

tarasov

Hello out there!...  I was wondering if anyone has had any problem with these batteries (iPower rechargeable 9V lithium ion batteries). We've just started using them on a TV series and though I love the idea, our comtek recievers are not always switching on with a fully charged 9V. Today one of our Lectrosonics 'Spuds' (wireless boom transmitter) wouldn't power up either...  Throwing in a Procell would always remedy the situation...  Bad batch, or is there some arcane power fart going on? I've had similar skittish behavior with non-rechargeable lithium double A batteries in TS 3 slates as well as my alarm clock at home. Not so with regular alkalines...  Am I on glue?

Thx in advance

-Ian 

I just got some I powers recently and they have worked great so far in my (2) 200c Transmitters. For jobs where doing a battery change isn't difficult I will be using them. However for high stress multiple lav jobs I will be sticking with Ultralife 9v's or Procells.

I've used them for two features and so far they've worked great.  The Comtek thing is pretty weird since those receivers work with batteries down to about 7.5 volts.  I remember reading comments in the past that not all 9V brands are the exact same physical size.  Could it be possible that the iPowers just aren't making good contact?

I've used them for two features and so far they've worked great.  The Comtek thing is pretty weird since those receivers work with batteries down to about 7.5 volts.  I remember reading comments in the past that not all 9V brands are the exact same physical size.  Could it be possible that the iPowers just aren't making good contact?

I've got a set of the I-Power lithium 9volts and I'm very happy with them. Great in cold weather. To fit them into my various pieces of equipment (Lectro series 185,190,200,400) I hade to file the plastic housing down a bit. I used a nail file. Only the 201 RX will not take them. Every other model relatively happy (a bit snug on the 200 TX) I don't bother putting them in my Comteks. I just use my semi-depleted Alkalines, 7.5 volts and up, until they eventually die. "What's that beeping in my headphones? Is everything OK?" "Oh yeah, here, I'll change your battery. Thanks for listening." Chris Newton 

I have a bunch of IPower and use them almost everyday.  They are labelled and i keep a record of when they were put in service.  I was working for Cirque du Soleil O in Las Vegas and we develloped very good habits of doing a rotation on the batteries.  Basically the batteries are ligned up in a microphone pouch as in order of the last used to the freshest one.  THis way ( since i am doing ENG/EFP work mostly ) i don't always use the same ones.  Also, do not keep them in a warm environment or they will loose there charge slightly becoming less reliable.  Also ( and also ) if i briefly use a batterie, i keep it in the transmitter with a mic on, and simply leave the mic on one of the speaker of my car.  That way during the drive home, the transmitter will discharge the battery some more giving the charger a better chance at conditioning and charging the battery. 

I have a set of four that i bought a year ago, that have been running by themselves for at least 6 months as my sole batteries ( over 200 charges easy ) and never failed me.  They will power a UM400 ( or UH400 ) for a solid 4 hours.

Pascal

Hello out there!...  I was wondering if anyone has had any problem with these batteries (iPower rechargeable 9V lithium ion batteries). We've just started using them on a TV series and though I love the idea, our comtek recievers are not always switching on with a fully charged 9V. Today one of our Lectrosonics 'Spuds' (wireless boom transmitter) wouldn't power up either...  Throwing in a Procell would always remedy the situation...  Bad batch, or is there some arcane power fart going on? I've had similar skittish behavior with non-rechargeable lithium double A batteries in TS 3 slates as well as my alarm clock at home. Not so with regular alkalines...  Am I on glue?

Thx in advance

-Ian 

Do a search here and on (dare I say ...)RAMPS. Tons of discussion there on tips and techniques on care and longevity.

I just got some of the I powers as well and so far they have been great.  Although a few times when i've put them on the charger they will start flashing the bad battery light.  Swapping slots and/or replugging in a few times has remedied that. 

Brian,

This has seemed to be an issue with these newer batches. I've bought quite a few of these to span several versions, and that was a newer development. Not sure why though. My trick, and I've tried all that you've mentioned with varied success, is to simply put another battery on charge in the battery bay next to it(behind or above, not next to....make sense?) Always eliminated the "Bad/Damaged Battery" indicator, an started to charge it.

All in all they last longer in Tx than Alkalines, but DON"T let them drain all the way. That WILL shorten their life expectancy, and you'll be buying more sooner than you'll like. As long as you still charge production for their use you'll still be ahead $$$, after several jobs, depending on how much you can get Alk's for. And you won't have to keep that huge stock of 9v's around. YMMV, and to each their own. Comfort rules all.

Mike

Just wondering if there is any consensus about when to change out the iPowers.  In my limited experience, they seem to go poof at about 7.2v. 

I've been pretty conservative while getting used to them as the Lectro battery indicator is obviously not programmed for their discharge curve.

Thanks,

---Matt

Just wondering if there is any consensus about when to change out the iPowers.  In my limited experience, they seem to go poof at about 7.2v. 

I've been pretty conservative while getting used to them as the Lectro battery indicator is obviously not programmed for their discharge curve.

Thanks,

---Matt

Mine will always last to lunch and then I change, so I never change based on charge level. Although I keep an eye on my lectro batt indicator. But typically are around 7.2-7.3v when I measure after pulling and before charging.

Mike