Sanken COS11 Servo wiring

RadoStefanov

This is the simplest wiring for the Servo inputs and will work on all SM series, UM400a's, and LMa's.

Larry F

Lectro

I am wiring a Sanken COS11 for a friend for a servo SMq.

Is this the proper wiring?

This is going to be used on newer Servo only TX.

Thanks

I have to wire it by tonight.

Wiring_diagrams.jpg

No external resistor is needed. You are using an internal 2.7k resistor that is on pin 5 to ground internal to the SM and don't worry about the fact that it is different from 1k. It is a good value. The pin 4 to 2 jumper can be a fine bare wire. Pull a single strand from any stranded wire such as a cutoff piece of lamp cord (zip cord) or stranded hookup wire. It doesn't need insulation if you dress it reasonably and keep it short.

Best,

Larry F

SO the 1k on pin 1 is not needed?

If the outputs have some series impedance you can tie them together. Simplest way is to tie them together and see how it sounds. The overall output should drop a little (3 dB) and not be distorted.

Larry F

Thanks Larry.

While I have you here:

I am also making a 3.5 stereo return from camera to LM non servo.

I want to join the L and R to LM.

Can I connect the Tip and sleeve to pin 5 and have a mono mix of both channels?

Thanks Larry.

While I have you here:

I am also making a 3.5 stereo return from camera to LM non servo.

I want to join the L and R to LM.

Can I connect the Tip and sleeve to pin 5 and have a mono mix of both channels?

If the outputs that you are 'mono-ing' are low impedance simply joining them together can lead to unpredictable results and distortion, or even potentially damage to the output amp in extreme cases (high level signals 180 degrees out of phase) depending on the design. One solution that works well is to tie the L/R channels together with two resistors, taking the output from the midpoint. 1k is a good choice of value as most output stages are happy driving a 1k resistive load.

Good idea. Have you been doing this stuff for a while?

Ha.

Larry F

You can make a jumper by cutting the small end of a paper clip and adjust the span between the pins as required. It's lot easier work with that a single strand of wire.

Eric

+1. Also, never tie speaker outputs directly together. Line level and mic level generally won't hurt anything but may distort.

Larry F

If the outputs that you are 'mono-ing' are low impedance simply joining them together can lead to unpredictable results and distortion, or even potentially damage to the output amp in extreme cases (high level signals 180 degrees out of phase) depending on the design. One solution that works well is to tie the L/R channels together with two resistors, taking the output from the midpoint. 1k is a good choice of value as most output stages are happy driving a 1k resistive load.

Thanks. I will put 2 1.3k resistors just in case.

• 1 month later...

Also on a different note.

One of my friend's UM400A gets a lot of noise only when used with a servo wired Sanken.

With universal it sound fine.

With servo mics there is noise when you plug the mic and after it is unplugged.

Plugin universal fixes the noise.

Perfect size and pre-tinned for easy soldering.

LEF

Connect the ground to the shell for additional RF protection for the mic capsule. The only time you must not connect the ground is for the M185\M187 transmitters, since they use the mic cable for the antenna.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

I am wiring some more cos11s. My friend is saying I have to connect the ground to the shell of the strain relief.

I have never done it in the past and have not noticed any problems.

Should I onnect the ground to the shell of the strain relief?

Hi Rado,

I don't know of any reason why the servo wiring would be any noisier than the universal wiring, if (if!) it is wired correctly. I also am a little lost as to noise "...after it is unplugged." ??

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Also on a different note.

One of my friend's UM400A gets a lot of noise only when used with a servo wired Sanken.

With universal it sound fine.

With servo mics there is noise when you plug the mic and after it is unplugged.

Plugin universal fixes the noise.

Hi Rado,

I don't know of any reason why the servo wiring would be any noisier than the universal wiring, if (if!) it is wired correctly. I also am a little lost as to noise "...after it is unplugged." ??

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

He just spoke to your people and they determined that the TX needs repair.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also going to take this opportunity to pick Larry's brain. It's basically on topic so I don't feel too badly about hijacking this thread.

I have a few COS 11D's that I wired myself using the servo wiring scheme above. I also have one that was wired professionally and this one has a noticeably higher output than the others. I peeked inside the connector of this one to see how it was wired (it should have been the same as the others) and from what I can tell, it looks like it's wired using the universal scheme (nothing to pin 5) but without a 1k resistor. At least I don't see any resistors and I think the proper universal wiring would have lower output than the SM wiring.

Is this just wired for universal and the output is hotter because of that or am I right that it doesn't have the resistor.

If I'm right then what are your thoughts about this wiring setup? I like the option for more gain because I already have to turn up my TX pretty high with my other - SM wired - COS11s

Thanks!

I'm also going to take this opportunity to pick Larry's brain. It's basically on topic so I don't feel too badly about hijacking this thread.

I have a few COS 11D's that I wired myself using the servo wiring scheme above. I also have one that was wired professionally and this one has a noticeably higher output than the others. I peeked inside the connector of this one to see how it was wired (it should have been the same as the others) and from what I can tell, it looks like it's wired using the universal scheme (nothing to pin 5) but without a 1k resistor. At least I don't see any resistors and I think the proper universal wiring would have lower output than the SM wiring.

Is this just wired for universal and the output is hotter because of that or am I right that it doesn't have the resistor.

If I'm right then what are your thoughts about this wiring setup? I like the option for more gain because I already have to turn up my TX pretty high with my other - SM wired - COS11s

Thanks!

Chuck , if you have servo only tx just wire the cos11 servo only. They are hot enough that way an extremely easy to wire.

Sorry for the delay, but I'm on vacation and seeing posts only in the morning. The resistor in the source lead is absolutely necessary. Either put in your own or use the pin 5 resistor as in the "Servo Only Wiring" which is a 2.6K. Smaller resistors give proportionally more gain. 2k is 6 dB more gain than 4k and 1k is 6 dB more again. You will have very high distortion without the resistor, on the order of 7% at moderately high levels. This shows how insensitive human ears are to distortion since some use the mics without the source resistor and are perfectly happy. They must not be Stereophile readers.

Best Regards,

A Very Relaxed Larry

Far Away From Nerds With Potato Cannons

Thanks!