Nagra Handy Recorders?

Spencer Moore

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped at the Nagra booth...

did you know that Nagra's audio recorder business, now known as Audio Technology Switzerlan, www.nagraaudio.com has split off from the parent corporation (the hugely successful NAGRAvision folks), and are now their own company, with their own offices in Switzerland , including the USA office in Nashville... John Owens john.owens@nagraaudio.com is the world sales director for Nagra recorders.

Their handheld / handy recorders as well as the Nagra VI and accessories are all part of this deal, including their law enforcement sales of these products, which are big huge sellers in that market sector.

The Zoom's (and other low cost options are toys compared to the Nagra small recorders. If I had a professional need for a small high quality professional recorder there is no question that I would be lookinbg over the several options NAGRA offers, as they are absolutely worth the price when top professional quality is part of the mix. The recent 2 channel preamp (2 x Nagra 6 pre's + a 2 channel L:E recorder built in is either an excellent matching accessory, or a terrific small package option, and there are other, smaller models to select from... The NAGRA VI may not be the industry standard NAGRA's used to be, but they are still a player...

Thanks for the info Senator! I'm thinking about buying one coming up sometime soon. I'm also looking at the new Fostex. Right now I have a DR-100 as my backup handy recorder, and its nothing to sneeze at but a Nagra would be tops. I've played with the new Nagra pre at PSS and it sounds amazing, but the digital features seemed a bit oddball to me. I think its conversion is at 44.1khz unless I'm mistaken. I remember fondly speaking to the Nagra folks back at Aes and they were more then helpful about showing me around the product line. THey even told me that they still have the parts to make 4.2 recorders!

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has had any hands on experience with the Nagra SD? 

Looking to purchase one as a small and quick rig for stereo ambiances and also as a small backup recorder on doc's along side a 302 in case the 664 bursts into flames or takes a bullet or some such disaster...

Nagra SD made in China, but really well made.

XLR Line level out from MixPreD or 302 wired unbalanced (per Sound Devices manual) into Nagra SD 1/8 TRS line level.

With Nagra SD turned all the way down, -20 setup tone comes into Nagra SD at -19.

As with all these small recorders you don't see any better dynamic range with 24bit over 16bit, although your DAW processing plugins may work better at 24 bits. it's about 90dB dynamic range.... if you can't do it with that.....??

I asked John Owens at Nagra if they could make it quieter.. said of course we can, with reduced battery life. As is will run over 10 hours on 2 Lithium AA batteries.

I saw the Nagra small recorders at BVE London this year. I felt the build quality of the Sony PCMD50 was much better. There is a new PCMD100 coming up. I dont know sound-wise if they are better than the Nagras. The D100 has DSD etc., not much of a deal for me. But if it sounds better than the D50, i may get one, and wait for Nagra to better what they have. D100 - 800$, D50 discontinued. Nagra - 500$...

I remember seeing an Italian or other company that sold a handheld or an exact same model as the Nagra sometime ago on the net....