Schoeps RF

Michael P Clark

I don't think the 5 series can get the upgrade (RF mod which is now standard design in all new 6 series). The upgrade even for the 6 series was not cheap and generally took a few weeks I believe. I do remember that any of the 5 series could be turned into a 6 but it was almost the cost of a new mic anyway so most did not go for it. You may be looking at buying a new (or used) CMC-6 series amp which will totally solve the RF problem. All of your capsules will work, of course, with the 6 series.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

I agree -- As Jeff said, you may be better off just selling the 5 and buying the 6 -- depending upon how much you can get for the 5, of course.  As an interesting side note, when I sent my 6 in to be updated what I got back was basically a completely new mic.  As I recall, the only part that remained from my original was the connector housing piece that has the serial number on it.

John Blankenship, C.A.S.

RF is a problem on many mics, especially now with phones/PDAs/Modulus/HD cameras.  The MK50 has occasional problems too, especially older ones without gold pins.  I own two of these.  On one HD show, I couldn't bring one of my mics in the same room without it singing.  I ended up sending it into Senn for a brand new chassis with the RF improvement they have developed in the new mics.  Came back with gold pins and everything.  The other day, my unmodified  mic was having problems, so I prepared to send it in.  But today, my "new" mic was screaming and the "old" one was fine.  So my plan is to buy a third, and hope that two out of three will work in any environment.  So my advice is not to sell your old Schoeps, because in some cases it might be fine when the other isn't.  Or just use a 416.  I own these too.  Have you ever heard of the 416 having any problems in any environment?

I have a singing 50 as well and found that the source was a Comtek 216 TX in the bag was the problem.  It seemed to only occur in tight reflective spaces.  I still have it, but I primarily use my new CMC641 most of the time.  Never had an issue with my 416, though it is only 3 yrs old.

Rob