Brand new gear for NAB from Zaxcom

Zaxcom's got two new products debuting at the show!

ZFR300 - a new addition to the ZFR recorder group based off the TRX900LA for longer run time: http://www.zaxcom.com/zfr300

These are available now, delivery time is about two weeks or so.

TRX742 - a new plug-on style transmitter with interchangeable cones for use with mono analog, stereo analog, AES (non-powered digital) and AES42 microphones. This will be available at some point this summer. The detailed webpage will be up in the coming weeks. For now, here's the PR: http://www.zaxcom.com/pr-trx742

I hope they implement Neverclip for all of their transmitters.

Though I have to admit I don't really see how Neverclip is different from compression, just on the front end of the chain. Still a good thing to avoid burning up transmitter pres.

It is exactly the opposite of compression --- having 2 different sets of staged digital converters, the signal never needs to be compressed, it is handed off to the proper converter before it would require compression or limiting to avoid clipping. This is the way I understand it. It has been explained to me perfectly several times but I still don't really have a firm grip on how it works.

the concept of neverclip is sound to me what I dont understand is how the hand off between the two A/D's happens. Wouldn't there be either a click a pop or a very short fade of 20dB as the sound overloads the first A/D? Also wouldn't the sound of the first A/D overloading add distortion or compression to the track until that switch took place? Finally how fast can it be, does it know the future? What happens on the way back up when it gets really quiet and it has to switch back to the hot A/D?

I hope they implement Neverclip for all of their transmitters.

Though I have to admit I don't really see how Neverclip is different from compression, just on the front end of the chain. Still a good thing to avoid burning up transmitter pres.

They have to be redesigned/re-manufactured and a a second AD converter added.

Battery power will be reduced a little.

the concept of neverclip is sound to me what I dont understand is how the hand off between the two A/D's happens. Wouldn't there be either a click a pop or a very short fade of 20dB as the sound overloads the first A/D? Also wouldn't the sound of the first A/D overloading add distortion or compression to the track until that switch took place? Finally how fast can it be, does it know the future? What happens on the way back up when it gets really quiet and it has to switch back to the hot A/D?

This is exactly where I'm left scratching my head as well. I understand the general concept but the hand-off between the two A/D circuits is where I'm confused. Maybe some sort of second gain stage to act as make up gain so that you don't hear a drop in level?

Would love to see a nice power point slide show on this ;)

The other question off the top of my head regarding the 742 is how does it handle analog stereo? Does it do some kind of wiring trickery with the normal 3-pin XLR like the LTS series does or do you need to order a 5-pin version? Can it do two channels of AES?

I agree on the external powering, would be a great feature.

This is exactly where I'm left scratching my head as well. I understand the general concept but the hand-off between the two A/D circuits is where I'm confused.

First off, I'm the one who talked about the "hand-off" and that was merely my simplistic description (which also helps to conceal my ignorance). I'm sure at some point Glenn will give us some kind of direct explanation of how it works. Anybody stopping in at Zaxcom booth at NAB will probably be able to get a good explanation. I certainly will be asking the question so I don't have to try and describe something I don't totally understand.

I am excited for the 742. I've been waiting for this upgrade for a while and I wish it was shipping now. But, I'll just have to be patient.

What was the real-world battery run time of the 700 powering a 48v mic? I wonder what the 742 battery run time will be?

www.matthewfreed.com

Production Sound Mixing for TV, Films, and Commercials

if not to late I would very much like to suggest a XLR connector with a locking mechanism for the new 742 like the Sennheiser SKP series.

My TRX 700 fits way too loose on a XLR connector (because it is quite heavy) and creates some rattling noise. I have some Velcro around the top off my pole and some Velcro on one side of the TRX. That helps enough to support the weight but it is a workaround no matter what.

Matthias