Any news from the sound devices other then new Pix?

RadoStefanov

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new PIX video product from "Sound" Devices also supports 32 channels of audio (sound). I think Sound Devices from their perspective is doing a good thing moving into other arenas (and speaking of arenas, we are all actually on the same playing field after all) --- the overlapping and merging of technologies cannot be overstated. I think all of the companies that produce the gear that we use have to be aware of this convergence that has been underway for quite some time now. The area of discussion that I find most troubling with all this technological convergence is the often negative consequences that further marginalize our work as sound mixers --- look at the battles between union jurisdiction and job classification that is ongoing between the people who do the images and the people who do the sound. It is definitely interesting times we live in and it requires a full time effort and careful thinking to make sense of it all.

I don't want to be an A1 and monitor video. Unfortunately it looks like it is going to happen. Imagine saying : a2 talent mix 18 needs a battery change. Camera 2 check your focus. Camera 3 your iris is not right.

And simultaneously mixing...

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

Nightmare.

Help me with this. Who is the Pix260 for? Is it going to mount on a camera, and sound will send Ethernet of 32 channels to the camera? (Anyone have a 32 channel camera hop?) So this sits on a DIT cart and sound cables to there? What about return monitoring? My first thought about the sound aspect of this box was to think of the Sony tape-based portable HD decks (the kind that could mount on a camera or be standalone with an extra module)--they could take a whole lot of audio channels, but we only ever sent them more than 2 a handful of times (like 4). It was just too messy to have the picture and a lot of channels of audio recorded in one place for a location shoot. So this is for....episodics on stages? Concerts? I'd like to hear SD's vision of how production will change to make this the box to use... Picture post gets delivered all those audio tracks? (I see unhappy editors ahead...)

phil p

Help me with this. Who is the Pix260 for? Is it going to mount on a camera, and sound will send Ethernet of 32 channels to the camera? (Anyone have a 32 channel camera hop?) So this sits on a DIT cart and sound cables to there? What about return monitoring?

phil p

This is the best question ever: "Who is the PIX 260 for?" I would really like the Sound Devices answer to this. I'm pretty much in the dark about this since I don't really know how the original PIX product from SD is supposed to be used and by whom.

SD's like a tank company that decides to put all their energy to produce space rockets, not new tanks... Zax is taking over

'Sound Devices' - ah well must be some other meaning! :)

reliable and sensible

sound business/company

financially sound

sound understanding

sound heart

sound mind

sound building

structurally sound

sound sleep

sound punishment

I don't really get it either. The original one might have made a bit of sense for docs or ENG, which has always been SD's bread and butter. It supports recording a quality feed from the camera and quality production audio, with extended record time. Lots of valuable applications there, although perhaps not in narrative production sound.

The 32-track rackmounted monitor/recorder confuses me. Perhaps for a news truck? DIT is quickly on its way out, unless they plan to produce dailies and editorial time-line by using a feed from us and a feed from camera. But why 32 tracks of audio? I guess it's just its capability. We could feed AES 8 tracks to "DIT" and assistant editor would not longer need to sync. No "telecine". DIT would temp color with DP. Everything would be done in that little box and copied to multiple drives at once.

Curious about the response.

Also bummed about no new sound products from them.

I figure it's really an 8 track recorder... but to provide support for analog, embedded SDI, and AES connectivity, plus via Ethernet, there you have it - 32 tracks, and it doesn't save them anything to purposefully disable capability - so good for them on that count. I guess the questions are - will it allow audio only recording? I could see a reasonably priced device that include video monitoring and sound recording as a feasible option for me, but in most cases a cheap video monitor accompanying my normal recorder would make more sense. What I am mildly excited about is the RS-422 and web server control. I wonder what features are controllable, is it just Sony BRC style transport and locator or would it also allow full control over an on-board mixer and router?

Looks like Pixie 260 is a small studio/truck/flypack recorder and po' boy replay/playback thingy. The sync inputs suggest the ability to be placed in a multi input system. And remote/ethernet control visualizes a Technical Director with machine controls at the Vision Mixing Station.

And, I agree that the foundation for SD was solidly built audio products. I'd have an easier time with the company if it had a division called "Video Devices" marketing the Pixies. Pixie is a good product, but if this forum is representative of the SoundCommunity, I think SD has made a marketing misstep.

I'm definitely dissapointed In Sound Devices. I was going to wait around and see if they came out with new audio products, but it looks like I will definitely go for the Nomad and make the jump to Zaxcom. I don't get the push for the Pix recorders recently either. Must be profitable I guess.

I wouldn't say it is going down the crapper, I think the 788t and 552 are two very solid devices. Given the development cycles or products, I'd expect to see something from them next year or more likely, a mid-season replacement, as NAB is not necessarily the best time to roll out products, just roll them out as they are ready. I think people are clamoring for a recording 302 and probably a 552 style 8 track recorder with 6 channels to record ISOs and the mix. Even saying this I am considering purchasing a Nomad, but may wait for awhile to see what happens and just make due with what I have for now. Zaxcom wireless on the other hand, purchased some this last year and making another big order soon... I love it.