Any news from the sound devices other then new Pix?

RadoStefanov

Sorry but anybody who is in the market for a new multi-track machine will now be buying a Nomad. Sound Devices kit is obviously still great (very happy 552/788T owner here) but it can't compete with the options and price point of the nomad.

Not knee-jerk. Fact.

The statement: "Sorry but anybody who is in the market for a new multi-track machine will now be buying a Nomad." is not fact, but conjecture. It also seems to assume that all sound mixers just slavishly gravitate to the flavor of the day -- that's rather insulting to any sound mixer who knows how to think. Different applications require different solutions.

While the Nomad is a game changer, there are many reasons SD's machines are still quite viable. As a result of advancing technology, the price points may need to be readjusted -- that's SD's decision to make but I seriously doubt that SD's 788T sales will drop to zero.

FWIW: I've used both the 744T and 788T, and currently own two Sound Devices mixers, two Devas, and a Nomad.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

788t is probably a great piece of gear but it does not work for me in the summer - multiple fails in over 105f temp in a bag also causing extreme power consummation.

Nomad so far has been running COLD. I can not really feel a difference between being on or off.

Will have to wait and see how it is going to perform in the summer. I have some work coming in 99% humidity and 130F.

The new PIX video product from "Sound" Devices also supports 32 channels of audio (sound).

Yeh. Well. Kinda. Maybe. Huh?

You can go with 8 tracks balanced XLR inputs (via DB25), that seems to be it for analog.

You can go 8 tracks AES/EBU digitla (via DB25).

You can go 8 tracks via HDMI.

You can go 16 tracks with embedded SDI.

Combinations of the above? Go to their website and figure it out for yourself. I'm tired from walking all day.

32 tracks of audio are available via Dante over Ethernet.

File storage is with SSD XL-Caddy or eSATA connected drives.

One difference between the products from Zaxcom and Sound Devices that I've noticed today is that, while the Zax goods are awesome in their specs and, I'm sure, in their delivered performance, there's a certain "sheen" to the SD gear. A refinement? A beveling of edges? A better finish to whatever they are making the cases out of? Hard to say but it's there. It's like that opalescent white finish that NIssan used to out on their 300ZX. White? Sure, but what a white.

Oh to have the money to buy both companies, bang their heads together and say, "I want THAT and THAT and I want it to look and feel like THAT."

788t is probably a great piece of gear but it does not work for me in the summer - multiple fails in over 105f temp in a bag also causing extreme power consummation.

Nomad so far has been running COLD. I can not really feel a difference between being on or off.

Will have to wait and see how it is going to perform in the summer. I have some work coming in 99% humidity and 130F.

We get that you like your Nomad and that you feel it's the right choice for you. I like my Nomad, too. That isn't the point. The point is that no one piece of gear is the be all, end all, for every sound mixer. That era ended with the Nagra.

It's about the right tool for the right job, and what feels like the best fit for the individual person for whatever specific task(s) that person performs.

I'm not knocking the Nomad. I have a Nomad 8 myself, have touted it to others, and am excited to have it.

But -- as an example -- for cart work I like the Deva significantly better than the Nomad. I'm sure there are those who like the 788T better for cart work also. And for some R-n-G gigs I may have coming up next month, I'm likely to use my downsized 302 kit for more comfort on long taxing days. It all depends upon individual needs.

My point was simply that since Sound Devices didn't give us soundies a "fix" this NAB, there are those who are ready to sound SD's death knell. That's what I mean by knee-jerk reaction.

Say hi to everyone for me at the RAMPS party tomorrow night.

We get that you like your Nomad and that you feel it's the right choice for you. I like my Nomad, too. That isn't the point. The point is that no one piece of gear is the be all, end all, for every sound mixer. That era ended with the Nagra.

It's about the right tool for the right job, and what feels like the best fit for the individual person for whatever specific task(s) that person performs.

I'm not knocking the Nomad. I have a Nomad 8 myself, have touted it to others, and am excited to have it.

But -- as an example -- for cart work I like the Deva significantly better than the Nomad. I'm sure there are those who like the 788T better for cart work also. And for some R-n-G gigs I may have coming up next month, I'm likely to use my downsized 302 kit for more comfort on long taxing days. It all depends upon individual needs.

My point was simply that since Sound Devices didn't give us soundies a "fix" this NAB, there are those who are ready to sound SD's death knell. That's what I mean by knee-jerk reaction.

If I can make it I will say Hi..

Actually my disappointment is not towards the lack of any 788t/Nomad like gear.

It is the lack of expansion on the GENIUS 552 idea to other SD mixers.

Has nothing to do with me liking my Nomad. And BTW I like the workflow of Nomad and ERX1TCD and the sound. But the build quality is not very satisfying.

Broken Power Switch.

Broken IFB Antena. "can not use the ERX1TCDs anymore.

Uncomfortable RF garbage.

So I am by no means a fan boy of Nomad ad generally very skeptical towards Zaxcom gear .

John n others are bang on. Quit crying about what we don't have. The tools we have right now are great, but they will never make anyone a better sound person. Only your brain and the two bookends we know as ears will make you better.

Someday I would like to go to NAB but every April I am working. Someday I will be at the party and meet you meter lickers in person. Until then, "Cheers".

CrewC

John n others are bang on. Quit crying about what we don't have. The tools we have right now are great, but they will never make anyone a better sound person. Only your brain and the two bookends we know as ears will make you better.

Someday I would like to go to NAB but every April I am working. Someday I will be at the party and meet you meter lickers in person. Until then, "Cheers".

CrewC

Cheers. I am only concerned with weight and future back problems.

I think some people are disappointed that their is no new sound SD product, but it doesn't mean they are calling them to be burned at the stake. Maybe this thread got a little heated and blown out of proportion on both sides. Yes, I'm disappointed there aren't new products, but that doesn't mean I am going to throw my 552 out the window. Still love their products.

It's all good! :)

The statement: "Sorry but anybody who is in the market for a new multi-track machine will now be buying a Nomad." is not fact, but conjecture. It also seems to assume that all sound mixers just slavishly gravitate to the flavor of the day -- that's rather insulting to any sound mixer who knows how to think. Different applications require different solutions.

While the Nomad is a game changer, there are many reasons SD's machines are still quite viable. As a result of advancing technology, the price points may need to be readjusted -- that's SD's decision to make but I seriously doubt that SD's 788T sales will drop to zero.

FWIW: I've used both the 744T and 788T, and currently own two Sound Devices mixers, two Devas, and a Nomad.

I guess neither of us will win this one then John, as I am struggling to see the conjecture in my post above. Especially given your recent purchase :)

Also, I think if anybody was insulted by my post, perhaps they are a little over sensitive?

Ps I am loving the 'meter licker' thing too. Genius!

Following the logic side of things, could we assess, then, we'll be able to have video monitoring on the next SD mixers generations in the year to come ?

They could even integrate a frequency scanner into the units so we get an instant preview of ''what's around'' :D

Ok, on a more serious side, I feel a little surprised too about this year's NAB novelties but like others said, we already have something great on the market to go with. Not such a big deal.

That indeed gets a few things straightened out for me too since I am planning to buy more stuff within the next months so I'll compose with what's available.

Hey Justan, howdy ? I think the ZFR300 can take two channels but you can't adjust levels separately. Hence ''stereo'' instead of ''2 channel'' recorder. But I might be wrong; I don't use one and certainly didn't check the manual so far.

ZFR100-STA combo would offer more latitude for this since you can adjust levels on the STA casing with a small screwdriver... but less compact in the bag. Nothing's perfect !

I believe I mentioned this somewhere else and I started a post on whats up next for SD, but now that this is out how about refining that. Seems like this is the front end of a pretty cool cart. What if they came out with a 12 fader mixer surface witha display that was like the 788s and the ability to track 16 channels and mix 12, the unit could be cheaper than 788 because you buy it in combination with the pix 260. The pix 260 is your monitor and recorder and the board allows you to mix and input 16 analog channels. What you guys think?

I guess neither of us will win this one then John, as I am struggling to see the conjecture in my post above. Especially given your recent purchase :)

Also, I think if anybody was insulted by my post, perhaps they are a little over sensitive?

Ps I am loving the 'meter licker' thing too. Genius!

Well, let me help with your struggles. You stated, and claimed as a fact, that, "Sorry but anybody who is in the market for a new multi-track machine will now be buying a Nomad."

Therefore even a single 788T sales would prove this statement wrong.

So, yes, before long we will know who's right -- at the moment a 788T, or any other multi-track machine, sells.

I agree with your oversensitive statement. However, my point was actually that your declaration doesn't dictate anyone else's buying habits unless they're sheep. I didn't buy a Nomad because someone arbitrarily declared it the winner. I bought it because it was right for my needs. On the cart, a Deva fits my needs better. Not everyone's needs are the same.

And, +1 on the "meter licker" comment.

Following the logic side of things, could we assess, then, we'll be able to have video monitoring on the next SD mixers generations in the year to come ?

They could even integrate a frequency scanner into the units so we get an instant preview of ''what's around'' :D

Ok, on a more serious side, I feel a little surprised too about this year's NAB novelties but like others said, we already have something great on the market to go with. Not such a big deal.

That indeed gets a few things straightened out for me too since I am planning to buy more stuff within the next months so I'll compose with what's available.

Hey Justan, howdy ? I think the ZFR300 can take two channels but you can't adjust levels separately. Hence ''stereo'' instead of ''2 channel'' recorder. But I might be wrong; I don't use one and certainly didn't check the manual so far.

ZFR100-STA combo would offer more latitude for this since you can adjust levels on the STA casing with a small screwdriver... but less compact in the bag. Nothing's perfect !

Hey Pierre,

You buy a recorder yet? What's taking you so long? :P

Yah the ZFR100 is a better option for a back up recorder, lets say for a 302.

Btw, I just bought a SMQV and SMA of Pascal. Trying to up my amount of wireless.