Theatre sound for picture

Bartek

Hello,

I have recently come across several projects that had a theatre play in it (big theatre, sound reinforcement is assumed). Just wanted to know from those of you who have live theatre sound experiance, and whoever else wishes to share what the most common default hardwire microphone setup was. I've seen all sorts of things long and short shotguns from above, from below (just off the front of the stage), PZM's (bad idea), etc.

thanx,

Bartek

Hi Bartek,

I've had good luck with a live theatre presentation using short shotguns and a hypercard just below the front lip of the stage. The hypercardioid (Oktava) was stage left, as there was more movement of the performers at this position. The wider pattern helped. Performers were never more than about 6-8 ft. from the mics. This was for a documentary about the theatre troupe, who were all amateur performers. Costume changes precluded using RFs. Hanging mics were not an option because of staging/lighting. The setup was fairly low profile and didn't seem to bother the audience. The staging was in my favour, as all of the performances with dialogue were downstage, and because of the limited stage lighting available, were in three zones: stage left, centre, stage right. it sounded pretty good, certainly fine for the required purpose. I probably heard the dialogue better than most of the audience. This was in a school auditorium. There was also an aboriginal drum circle performing, as a sort of chorus, offstage. I used a big diaphragm dynamic ( a Sennheiser 421) for this recording. Your needs may differ, but this worked for me. Chris Newton

Are these for shows that already exist? Or for a show that's "made up" as part of the movie?

Typically, if there's sound reinforcement, the actors are on wireless lav's and/or the stage itself is area - mic'ed. I would try to take a feed from the front-of-house console which would have the premixed dialog/singing. Along the lip of the stage may be some Crown PCC 160's (which look a bit like PZM's but are actually cardioid) and possibly some cardioid and hypercardioids for the "downstage" positions. They might have some choir mics hanging and/or shotguns planted behind teasers or in the rafters for "upstage" singing/talking/what-have-you. And they might perhaps have some well thought out plant mics positioned around the stage.

Occasionally some off-stage areas are mic'ed if there's some singing or talking that has to go on off-stage which must be heard.

But for a house that's more than a few hundred seats, and with a show which is adequately budgeted, the performers would likely wear wireless lavs (theater tends to prefer Sennheiser wireless) and there may be minimal "area" mic'ing of the stage.

In any case, typically the front-of-house mixer(s) would either be following the show on book or have it memorized and so the best sound would be from that mixer unless camera lets you get right in on top of the performers with a boom.

I hope any of this helps!

Hello,

I have recently come across several projects that had a theatre play in it (big theatre, sound reinforcement is assumed). Just wanted to know from those of you who have live theatre sound experiance, and whoever else wishes to share what the most common default hardwire microphone setup was. I've seen all sorts of things long and short shotguns from above, from below (just off the front of the stage), PZM's (bad idea), etc.

thanx,

Bartek