New black magic thingy

Black magic released a camera at NAB. It's a 2.5k image and is on the cheap side at $3000'sh. But I got a chance to go by and check it out briefly. And by briefly, I mean I snaked the line to look at the audio input selection. So none of the photos have shown them but they are 2 1/4" inputs with the headphone jack just above the inputs. I snapped a pic but I'm on my phone at the moment and I'll upload it when I get a chance. I wasn't able to check the menu or look for any timecode options but maybe someone else can chime in who's looked at its specs more in detail.

Thanks for checking it out, Michael. See if you can get a better look tomorrow.

Here are the BMD pages for their camera:

http://www.blackmagi...iccinemacamera/

Ya, two 1/4-inch TRS inputs. mic/line

48kHz, 24 bit

3.5mm HP output

4 audio channels out over HD-SDI

no timecode

Hellofalota touch screening.

Some MOS test footage:

http://vimeopro.com/...c-cinema-camera

Blackmagic had some very interesting things at the show (judging by what I'm seeing online). The new DaVinci Resolve is a killer app, no question. Their new prices on the Teranex converters -- which used to be about $50K -- are now a fraction of that, like $3000. These do all kinds of magic tricks, like turn PAL 25fps material to NTSC 23.98, or 1080i HD to 1080 24p... stuff like that. Very cool boxes.

I like the minimal design (hardware and software) from this camera.

And my question is:

Why the audio digital recorders hardware design in the era of 90's?

For example the audio interface of Universal Audio: Apollo is so cool design.

I was very impressed with it and the use of 1/4" TRS instead of XLR for audio input is a decent work-around to keep it compact. AT $2995 MSRP it's going to be a killer. I was told that the sensor is a bit bigger than Micro 4/3rds and has about 2X crop factor over full-frame 35mm,

I like the minimal design (hardware and software) from this camera.

And my question is:

Why the audio digital recorders hardware design in the era of 90's?

For example the audio interface of Universal Audio: Apollo is so cool design.

I think the Nomad looks nice. At the other end of the spectrum, Sony came out with white version of the PCM M10, which is also pretty cute.

But I hear ya, the Blackmagic Cinema Camera makes a statement.

• 2 months later...

Audio is input on 2 1/4" jacks. Headphone out is 3.5mm jack, Audio output also over SDI.

No Timecode I/O, but there is a LANC port so you could use that thing Ambient came out with a while ago...LANC Logger(?)

Considering that this thing is almost out in the hands of the camera-loving public, it's worth waking this thread up to talk further about the timecode (or lack of jam sync).

I would think that still having to invest in a lockit buddy (or some other audio/TC bridge "solution") along with a lockit or SB-3 or whatever to keep the camera's undoubtedly dubious timecode clock in check is basically saying that this camera is only a teeny tiny bit better than a DSLR.

Considering that this thing is almost out in the hands of the camera-loving public, it's worth waking this thread up to talk further about the timecode (or lack of jam sync).

I would think that still having to invest in a lockit buddy (or some other audio/TC bridge "solution") along with a lockit or SB-3 or whatever to keep the camera's undoubtedly dubious timecode clock in check is basically saying that this camera is only a teeny tiny bit better than a DSLR.

There ISN'T a timecode clock to keep in check. Your options are timecode-as-audio on one of the tracks, or using the LANC logger that I mentioned above (ALL601 - but Ambient seem to have discontinued it) which works by being a timecode clock that receives start-stop commands over the LANC protocol from the camera, and makes a shot log which can be printed or saved. It can also output audio as timecode but that's the same as option 1.

If they need timecode, the best option is a smart slate.

are the 1/4" inputs balanced or unbalanced [ TRS or just tip&sleeve]

J.D.

Balanced, mic/line switchable. I assume they're just using TRS because of the smaller form factor than XLR. There's also an internal mono microphone (like a DSLR) and a headphone output.

Specs here: http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/blackmagiccinemacamera/techspecs/

Although it's kinda odd shaped seems like alot of camera for the price.Who needs time code?

I'm gonna buy one and become one o' them movie makers.......Yahoo

J.D.

This is what scares me, that those visually-oriented without the sense to know the real value of TC are going to flock to this price point. I was originally excited about it, but once I realized the limitations, the shine has definitely worn off for me.

What's the problem if i may ask? The whole "Dslr revolution" (my first big project was at the end of '09) thought editors to work differently with audio syncing and such, therefore postproduction should and could deal easily from now on with these oinki doinki cameras. I shot whole documentary series and seen others doing it without any proper time code input at all and nobody was complaining. In the beginning everybody is always a bit skeptic about it but eventually it always worked out well. Therefore, indeed a pity the lack of time code on this camera, but for me not big a deal.

" out in the hands of the camera-loving public, "

and they don't care...

" those visually-oriented without the sense to know the real value of TC are going to flock to this price point. "

and that is what they get at "this price point"...

the rest of their workflow probably also does not support SMPTE TC...

and between PluralEyes, and /or a shot of a TC slate, asll will be just fine, thank you very much....

• 8 months later...