Countryman B6s

Denielle

So... for about four years now, I have been a Countryman B6 owner and user. I think these lavs sound wonderful! However, they break and wear very easily. And, admittedly, handling noise is borderline problematic. Less so for feature work... but, very frustrating for reality applications.

That said... Sankens or DPAs are on the list of things to buy... and I need to buy a whole bunch. I keep using (and replacing) my Countryman(s) because I have a full set to match my wireless... so I have microphone consistency. And, buying a whole new set of Sankens or DPAs is a considerable investment.

But, I won't get rid of or completely stop using my B6s, because I still think they are really wonderful microphones.

So... I am just curious... is there still B6 love out there? I know there must be...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own several B6s (three different sensitivites), but for me they're more a fall-back microphone when I need their "hidden in plain sight" capabilities. Otherwise, it's Sanken most of the time, because of their good balance of sound quality and mounting ability -- i.e. they're slimmer than my DPAs and therefore usually easier to hide.

IMO, the Sankens sound better than the B6s and the DPAs sometimes sound better than the Sankens, depending upon deployment. With a hidden lav, so much of it depends upon how, and where, they're hidden.

IMO, the Sankens sound better than the B6s and the DPAs sometimes sound better than the Sankens, depending upon deployment. With a hidden lav, so much of it depends upon how, and where, they're hidden.

Nice. Thank you. Ideally, I would love to have all three. Sankens certainly seem like the best 'next step'... though, I am admittedly very tempted by the DPAs. Thank you!

Sankens certainly seem like the best 'next step'...

I think overall they're your best bet. They're probably the most commonly used for feature work, and they're definitely easier to hide.

I believe Jeff said he's migrated to using all DPAs so maybe he'll weigh in to give you another perspective. I have maybe a half dozen DPAs but still usually reach for the Sankens first. I'm sure a good part of that has to do with my comfort level from having hidden them so many different ways over the years.

I've had B6's in my kit for a while, didn't like the early ones as they had a kind of stiff glossy cable that didn't hide well, now they have a good soft cable and they do sound great most of the time, in my experience they are more prone to wind noise and the capsule seems to overload on loud stuff before a cos11 or DPA will (red dot not much better) . +1 on costume dept loving them, that's the same reason I like them, other mic's I use often are cos11 and more recently the 4063 DPA. For me mic choice is usually not to do with the "sound" of whatever mic but how well it will hide and sound in relation to the costume, I'll often have a B6 on one person, a cos11 and DPA on others in the same scene. If they're all really easy to hide costume rigs I'd prob go DPA's most of the time as they seem to have a nice open sound which better matches a boom, I'm a fairly new convert to the DPA since going with zaxcom Tx's so still a learner driver with them to a degree but love them so far. If I could only have one kind of lav which had to cover everything I'd probable go with the cos11. Also have some old sonotrams in the kit which are nice place mics when you need to go small.

I own several B6s (three different sensitivites), but for me they're more a fall-back microphone when I need their "hidden in plain sight" capabilities. Otherwise, it's Sanken most of the time, because of their good balance of sound quality and mounting ability --s upon how, and where, they're hidden.

+1 Sanken are the best choice for most situations for me for all the reasons above. I use them about 80 percent of the time and B6 the other 20%. The DPA is a great sounding lav but they are harder to hide and I don't think the trade off of larger size is worth it.

I

I've broken quite a few B6s as well. Usually due to careless yanking off so there is a cable issue at or near the mic capsule. Not reparable. I never see it happen, and I have no reason to think most other mics would survive that abuse.

I now mostly use COS11 mics and love them, but there are cases where only a B6 will do. I do usually think of them as more of a problem solver than a "does everything" mic. I never had enough B6s to wire everyone up with them at the same time.

Denielle:

Just curious - where are your B6 breakages occurring and how? I've been lucky so far with mine, want to keep the break-free streak going if I can.

(null)

Dan, I have had real problems with the mic getting choked. Not a big problem when I am there to wire and unwire. However, I have had actors ripping the mic off before I know they are let off set... and they like to pull on the wire. Under a piece of moleskin and it is LAV murder in about 25% of situations. Another case where a B6 might get choked is an actor who has a tucked in shirt and is fiddling a lot. One good snag, and a B6 can go. I know it must be possible with the Sankens and DPAs... but, I believe the wiring is much more sensitive on the B6. Reality and documentaries are where this is very problematic, because you are not usually dealing with experienced actors. So, the LAVs take a lot of abuse. I would say, on average, I have to replace a LAV once every 3-4 long projects. But, I do a good mix of features, documentaries and reality. So, the abuse factors shift.

As for uncommon breaks: I have had wardrobe make adjustments and cut through a LAV. That was a good one. And, I have had actors try to unplug the LAV from the transmitter, and snap the connector off. That was reparable. And, once a lav was handed to me with the fiber sticking out and stretched. I didn't ask. And, despite asking talent to please come to me and I will be happy to help them with adjustments... it just doesn't always happen that way.

Dan, I have had real problems with the mic getting choked. Not a big problem when I am there to wire and unwire. However, I have had actors ripping the mic off before I know they are let off set... and they like to pull on the wire. Under a piece of moleskin and it is LAV murder in about 25% of situations. Another case where a B6 might get choked is an actor who has a tucked in shirt and is fiddling a lot. One good snag, and a B6 can go. I know it must be possible with the Sankens and DPAs... but, I believe the wiring is much more sensitive on the B6. Reality and documentaries are where this is very problematic, because you are not usually dealing with experienced actors. So, the LAVs take a lot of abuse. I would say, on average, I have to replace a LAV once every 3-4 long projects. But, I do a good mix of features, documentaries and reality. So, the abuse factors shift.

As for uncommon breaks: I have had wardrobe make adjustments and cut through a LAV. That was a good one. And, I have had actors try to unplug the LAV from the transmitter, and snap the connector off. That was reparable. And, once a lav was handed to me with the fiber sticking out and stretched. I didn't ask. And, despite asking talent to please come to me and I will be happy to help them with adjustments... it just doesn't always happen that way.

Guess why we have to consider lavs expendables, ouch! I'm going to keep crossing my fingers that mine stay intact but certainly don't expect it. Down with lav yankers!

I recently had a guy unscrew a ta5 to disconnect it.

Yep. I've seen that.

When I wire someone up, I will usually ask them if they'll please let me unwire them as I have it taped in a way that could easily damage the mic. They usually comply.

Often, experienced talent is worse than noobs. They like to show that they've "done this a thousand times." If my little talk convinces them that they're mounted in an unusual way, that normally helps.

One of the stated advantages of the COS-11D over previous versions, is it is supposed to have improved reinforcement where the cable enters the capsule.

Love my B6s but two out the four I have have suffered breakage. I mainly use them for the starchy shirt situations now. You should give the Oscar Sound Tech TL40s a try. They're in between a Countryman B3 and B6 in size. You could buy at least two of them for the price of a Sanken or DPA and they sound decent too. I use them on the home improvement shows I work on and they take a lot of abuse.

I'm working on a hospital show at the moment where we have a few doctors wired up for long periods of time.

I've taken up a new strategy.. I've started to just show them how to turn the transmitter on and off and also how to disconnect the lav. So far they have been quite diligent. It's saved me a few batteries for sure. More importantly, I think it also helps build trust somewhat that they don't feel like they're trapped in a big brother situation.

" how do you guys isolate cable noise from the b6? "

scissors

seriously, if you haven't figured it out yet, lav micing is also a bit of a black art, and it still takes years of experience to get years of experience... lots of tria and error, and there are many tricks, most folks have their favorite techniques, all of which work for them pretty well, and they they go back to trial and error for those times the regular trick doesn't cut it...

B6's are a fine tool to have in the kit, though I suspect not most folks' first choice. DPA's are excellent, top quality, and COS-11's are general favotites, but I like having a variety of tools in the kit, so I have many different varieties -- for me, there is no such thing as "lav consistency", as there there is also no such thing as voice to voice consistency, or situation to situation consistency, but I like to start with COS-11's and EMW's (or even OST's),

And I'm going to be trying a new lav called the mighty mic, just a bit bigger than the B6.

FWIW, I also love the E6 as a wild voice mic, when the performer is going to be moving around. It's not my 414 large condenser, but with a little eq (and assuming you'll be able to bury the differences of noise and distortion in the mix), it'll actually cut with the AKG!