Countryman B6s

Denielle

I find a small, loose, knot in the cable about 2-3" from the head helps.

thumbsup.gif

The other thing I do with the B6's is: lots of carefully-applied tape to stabilize the microphone and stabilize the fabric against the skin. You're dealing with three things: the fabric, the microphone, and the person's skin, and trying to get all three quiet is a challenge. I've had some situations with starchy shirts where the fabric itself was making the noise -- not the microphone per se. In a desperate situation, you can resort to hair mounts (with a very small bobby pin), or even leave the microphone exposed, provided it's the same color as the costume. It's invisible 4 feet away, in many cases.

A very real issue with the B6 is its relative sensitivity to wind noise, and once in awhile, I've had situations where the actor will pop the microphone just by breathing. Finding a different position can usually solve this problem.

The B6's are typically my first choice if I'm confronted with a very sheer blouse or a tight T-shirt, just trying to avoid "VCS" (visible cable syndrome). There's a balancing act you have to wrangle, between getting good microphone placement for sound, and yet still keeping it invisible. As a last resort, I'll go with a collar mount, which has worked in some really tough cases, like with small children.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always go for my sankens first, but when I have to be creative I'm glad I have a few B6's with me. Sound wise, I think the two are quite different,... B6 are very mid rangey to me, and Sanken is very warm and smooth (especially with strong voices). I really don't like using a B6 with females, but when it comes to wardrobe I don't get much choice if you know what i mean...

Like most here, I highly recommend the COS-11(D) if you use zaxcom digital wireless. I use this probably 99% of the time. For most actors, I prefer a nice high placement. I'll use the B6 in a slightly exposed "behind the button" position on men with noisy button down shirts. I do personally prefer the DPA over the Sanken on women with low cut tops, in the cleavage position. Alot depends on the quality of the person's voice, though. Some people just don't seem to cut with a B6, or they sound too "round" with a DPA. In these cases, the 'ol COS-11 always seems to work.

• 1 year later...

Anything MOISTURE related, rain gigs... sweat... water gags on talent etc...  as well as hair rigs, hat rigs... and exposed rigs.. (indoors only usually.. wind is not the friend of B6s)  

Also.. sheer clothing... neckline rigs... 

Not my favorite mic sound wise, but not too bad...  Out of 100 humans, 1 may notice a difference sound wise watching a finished product...  Reality show... Nobody would notice a difference... really...  When used with Sankens, the difference in placement, voice of talent and style of vocal delivery more of an issue trying to match... I would not waste one minute worrying about that.

Price is fair.... real thin cable a plus...

I have a couple of the grey bands and 1 red band (in white, which i bought for a particularly loud chef). It's 10db less sensitive than the grey band version. I've never noticed it to have noticeably more self noise with an SM tx than the grey bands even though I have to boost the input. For most situations the grey band version works fine, but there doesn't seem to be a downside to the less sensitive red band noise wise in real world situations. I also use COS-11s, EMWs and a VT400 i picked up used. The VT400looks pretty much like the B6, but the one I have seems to have a slightly higher self noise than the B6 (not sure about the wiring on it, but I'm not keen to open it up to have a look). different tools for different jobs. I actually like the sound of the lav that came with my lectros (M152?) but not great for hiding.

I will second everything John said above.

As will I.....

Most the time I use Sanken's but always have B6's standing by...at times the "hiding in plane sight" factor is a plus...and depending on situation have Sonotrim's and a few Tram's just in case. 

Rarely use the B6's outside....even when using rycote undercovers they don't handle wind well at all imo.

Have used B6's since 2001 and no breakages.

I use them for tie rigs, tight garments or the eliminate the 3rd nipple syndrome

Otherwise Sonotrims are my favorite and I only used COS11/s for presenter (visible mike) situations.

mike

• 1 year later...

I'm having some issues with my B6's picking up heartbeats with quiet scenes and really tight dresses. The mics are taped to the clothing in the cleavage, with no rubbing on the mic itself. I've tried a few different placements with running the wire down different sides and no luck. Very noticeable and annoying over quiet dialog. The frantic pace of shooting requires talent to be wired on set prior to shooting. I usually don't notice any problems during my mic check, but when things get quiet, I really hear it. Fortunately, the boom has been getting it, and because the actress is fussy about mic adjustments and the dresses so damn tight I give up on it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rakesh, in this situation I would honestly leave it alone. Wire her for due diligience but ask the script supervisor to please make a note of the problem that you are having and that it is preferred to use the boom track. Reflect this in your audio reports. Just not worth messing about if the actress is fussy. If you have the ability to try a different lav one day I would give that a go. It's possible that you are using a lav with too much sensitivity.

I'm having some issues with my B6's picking up heartbeats with quiet scenes and really tight dresses.

I've only very occasionally had the experience of actually hearing a heartbeat. My recollection is that it was a very low frequency sound. If you have the opportunity, try saving a copy of the track and then play it back at home (or in a studio) through speakers. I think that you will find that either you don't hear the beating heart at all on open speakers or that, if you do hear it, the sound will be so low in tone that equalizing it out would be easy.

In any event, I would be interested to learn what your impressions are after listening through speakers.

David

Lots of good comments about when and how the B6 are the best choice.  You can't have just one lav mic in your arsenal!  Just like you can't have just one boom, plant, mic.  

The B6 has worked great for me for quick, thru the buttonhole mounts.  Never had much of an issue with SPL, but I was probably just lucky.  

Use Sonotrims most of the time...just used to the sound, placement, etc. 

Would love to give the COS-11D a try but as most everyone that would require buying half a dozen, and not up for that.  

I believe the the gain at the mic was set a little high. There was a replacement mixer brought in to finish the last couple of days. He was using primarily COS-11's, and he also was hearing heartbeats or the same talent I was. So, at least it wasn't just my b6's.

I remember hearing it for the first time in the mix, and I wasn't sure where or who it was coming from. Between takes I would plf everyone, and couldn't hear it over the background noise. At one point I thought it was my own heartbeat I was listening to in my head. I had very little time to troubleshoot.  Then I heard from the editor, so it must have been audible over speakers. I tried to filter it out on set, but no luck.

The other mixer was surprised by it as well. I believe it was transferring up the wire. On different costumes, same talent and same settings, I wouldn't hear it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Hi Denielle!

I too have B6s in my arsenal and will use them for the tightest discreet miking situations. However, I am always under the impression that people sleep on the sister mike, Countryman B3. And I don't get it. I'll go to some shops and they won't have them in inventory and I always have to special order them.

But I tell you what: I own 11 of them now and I couldn't be happier with them. The lavs sound fantastic. Great sensitivity. Highly water and sweat resistant. And as you know with the B6, the B3 also has mike caps to vary the frequency response.

And they are very rugged for reality shows. I've yet to experience any of my B3 mikes go down for good in anyway. --I've had the TA5F connector break from time to time, but that is completely solderable and fixable. But all the mike capsules to my B3 lavs are still functional and going strong. And the cable attachment to the mike head for all of them have been tugged on forcefully here and there but have remained attached without any signs of damage to the lav.

They're not mountable with an R-11 mount. So I make my own sandwich mounts out of Dr. Sholl's molefoam with topstick on the bottom side. 

Another mounting option is to use B3s with Rycote undercover and overcovers, and they work great together. 

For the record: I bought the first 6 all at once about 4 and 1/2 years ago, and all is well to this day.