Countryman B6s

Denielle

I have had the occasional heartbeat with DPA 4060s, which don't cut as much low frequencies as other lavs. The sound could not be completely ruled out by using a low cut on the mixer. It happens with skinny women mostly. A change of the lav's position (away from the heart) reduces heartbeat noise significantly, or even better, stick it to the clothing instead of the skin.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hardly ever mount a mic directly to the skin, although it ca be quite tempting looking at all this rustle free skin land. Too often everything was fine in the mounting situation, but getting close to shooting the tension rises and the heartbeat becomes audible. especially with young talent and with emotional scenes.

with skinny women and tight dresses sometimes it can be an option to place a tan coloured B6 into the pit above the collar bone, an unusual place but sometimes it sounds real good and for sure you hear no heartbeat up there.

I find myself using the B6 quite a lot. Of course they have a higher noise floor, they are less prone to overload and especially to wind noise. But at least in interior situations the mounting possibilities with the B6 are unrivalled and the proper placement imho is the most important factor for the sound of a Lav mic. Much more important than the specs and the sound you get under under lab conditions.