Canon 5D MK III made me happy

I mixed a pretty simple Under Armour spot last week, and while half the shoot was phantom flex footage of flame throwers, metal grinders and welders, the other half was interviews using 2 5D MK III... Which I have to say, put a little smile on my face.

It now features 3 audio specific improvements that seem pretty good.

1. TIMECODE - it now has the ability to run as a master for TC... Unfortunately, not slave yet, but it proved helpful at some points... I didn't try to jam out of it to a slate yet, but I'm wondering if the headphone jack acts as a possible jam out.

2. Audio levels on main screen can be seen AND levels can be changed! I was running a G3 hop to the 5D and was actually able to set tone levels on the camera! The best part tho was the fact that you could see the VU (dbFS) on the actual main screen while filming. Great addition.

3. The headphone jack no longer acts as the mic input.. It now has its own mic input, although still 1/8 inch... But still an improvement...

I think the impeovements are great, but still have the limitations that shooting on DSLR cameras bring to the table... Move in the right direction... So far...

Seeing the level on the main screen definitely adds a layer of confidence. I can't tell you how many times the AC's have unplugged my cable in order to do a lens change or reconfigure their rig. Looking over their shoulder and seeing bouncing levels would be much easier than trying to look through the maze of cables, rods, accessories they have in their rigs to see if I am still plugged in.

Did you use the "timecode" capability of the camera? I put it in quotes, because if you cant jam it, or jam from it, what is timecode worth?

+1 maybe they can change this in a firmware update? Seems silly to me not to be able to do anything with the TC.

Seeing the level on the main screen definitely adds a layer of confidence. I can't tell you how many times the AC's have unplugged my cable in order to do a lens change or reconfigure their rig. Looking over their shoulder and seeing bouncing levels would be much easier than trying to look through the maze of cables, rods, accessories they have in their rigs to see if I am still plugged in.

+1 maybe they can change this in a firmware update? Seems silly to me not to be able to do anything with the TC.

It's very unlikely to be a stable enough clock to hold sync for a long time, ie that could be jamsynced to a recorder and slate, and there is no way to connect a Lockit etc to it either. The TC is for convenience in post--it won't help re syncing with other cameras or an outboard recorder. For that a ref audio track is a better bet, still.

phil p

• 2 weeks later...

I will still treat DSLRs like film cameras and continue to operate double system. I am glad they are paying more attention to sound, but without major redesign, I think plugging up to these cameras is a waste of time.

Fully agree. I even go so far as to advise against scratch tracks for dailies since productions using these types of cameras often don't understand AGC and its negative consequences. I don't even want them to have the option to use on cam sound.

Fully agree. I even go so far as to advise against scratch tracks for dailies since productions using these types of cameras often don't understand AGC and its negative consequences. I don't even want them to have the option to use on cam sound.

The last time I just used a comtek feed. Good enough for scratch, crappy enough to discourage camera audio use.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just got a gig where they are shooting on a mark III. I told the producer I would be recording second system and asked if they intended to use the camera audio as anything other than a scratch track for post syncing purposes and was told they intend to use camera audio, second system is just in case something goes wrong. I have learned the hard way not to say anything about the audio capabilities of a camera to a producer, so I just replied "great".

The plan will be to drop camera gain as much as I can to bypass the preamps on the camera and send line level from my 442. But I'm thinking they will still be using it as a scratch track. I totally agree with the treat it like a film camera approach.