RastOrder Cart: SU-01V

Eric Burge

With a pneumatic wheel, you can simply push the thing while it's level and the wheels do all the work for you.  I've spent years doing it both ways and personally much prefer the latter.

.02 nvt  

I get your drift, maybe I should consider making an SU cart with the castor wheels that I use on my 2G cart. They have aluminium castors and bearing holders with 8 inch pneumatic or solid polyurethane/foam tyres.

They are light enough its just that I balk at the amount of space they use. However as you say, different people have different priorities.

Rob Stalder

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have just seen these 2 carts off, they will be used by a local TV station Drama department...

The square one will facilitate a lighting director one side and CCU operator the other, via sliding shelves extending from front & back. These are rack mounted to the 4 corner vertical uprights.    There are inner vertical uprights that will carry rack mounted monitor screens.

The 2nd one is in keeping with the traditional SU shape, but is a video version with more room in the top module and rack mounted (2) sliding shelves.   This is to be used by the sound mixer.

Have gone from 3" to 4" front castors on SU - this wasn't as big a problem as I thought it might be.

Wishing you all a merry Christmas.

Rastorder

post-708-130815075735_thumb.jpg

post-708-130815075743_thumb.jpg

They are really good looking carts, I must say. I am pleased you have had success specifying what you want the cart to be. Since first hearing (and seeing pictures) of these carts from RastOrder, I have always thought that it would be a big stumbling block for Rob to be able to sell these things to people in other countries. The cart is such a personal thing --- I have only had success when I am right in the room with the guy doing the welding --- I have always had to design, fabricate, cut and assemble everything myself and then get someone else to do the things I cannot do, like heli-arc and powder coating. Since I do all the fabricating myself and I am NOT a machinist nor do I have access to the proper tools, many parts of my carts suffer in this process. Things like axles, wheel suspension, even shelf fabrication suffers because I use a hand drill and a hacksaw.

The RastOrder carts are modular enough that maybe that is the trick to being able to get a cart the way you want it.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With due deference to Eric's Intergalactic Starfighter SU-O1V, this here is more of your interstate SU (Sonasax) SX-ST8D with Boom Recorder friendly side laptop shelf.

There may still be the means Eric.

A couple of folks asked me to post pics showing the current setup of my cart, which Mr. Stalder built for me last year, the original SU01V or "the SU-V2 unit" as it's known on set. Admittedly I'm kind of slow getting it fully configured, but hey, if I ever finished, then I'd have to start over and I don't want to do that quite yet. ;-}

After toying with the idea of adding a slide-out laptop shelf, I finally decided to go with basic 3/16" (5mm) aluminum plate stock attached to a magic arm and super clamped (mafer) direct to frame. I'm working on that now. Will post pics one of these days. My macbook pro running BR will velcro to carpet once attached. Also considering long velcro strap(s) wrapping at the top/bottom of keyboard for added security and peace of mind. The nice thing about the arm is that it allows the shelf to cantilever out and sit right next to my board, easily adjusts to various heights and tilts, yet can swing in for tight doorway moves. It can be removed altogether in a matter of a few seconds, no drilling required and essentially non-committal.

As it's shown here, I've got 4 411s, multicoupler, and traveler in the top 1/2 rack. I have ideas of moving the receivers and multicoupler to a separate ATA case that will latch to the top 1/2 shelf where the macbook presently lives. that will allow easy addition/removal of more receivers. The new rack space will bump to holding twin monitors, comtek tx, etc.

EB

post-115-130815077584_thumb.jpg

The breakdown is very creative, but with a mixer as full featured as shown here there would be a temptation to get pretty baroque w/ the cart wireing, and I'd only want to do a "breakdown" cart if it could avoid serious repatching.  However, I have this recurrent fantasy of being to get a full package into the back of a Scion XB.....

Philip Perkins

The breakdown is very creative, but with a mixer as full featured as shown here there would be a temptation to get pretty baroque w/ the cart wireing, and I'd only want to do a "breakdown" cart if it could avoid serious repatching.  However, I have this recurrent fantasy of being to get a full package into the back of a Scion XB.....

Philip Perkins

I hear you... I would love to be able to have a much wider choice amongst possible vehicles --- I have looked at the Scion because it sort of reminds me of a little panel truck. I think the trick with the breakdown and wiring (I actually would like to stop using the term "breakdown" in relation to our equipment) is to have everything wired up and interconnected housed in the UPPER section and have the lower section reserved for storage and cart power (and of course the WHEELS!). This would allow using just the upper section on its own with suitable external power from a battery block for example. Once built as a whole cart it would only require a simple connection, maybe one jumper cable interconnect, to get power to the upper section.

-  Jeff Wexler

I agree.  This is precisely how my cart is constructed.  I'm sure others have done the same.

-dB

I think the trick with the breakdown and wiring (I actually would like to stop using the term "breakdown" in relation to our equipment) is to have everything wired up and interconnected housed in the UPPER section and have the lower section reserved for storage and cart power (and of course the WHEELS!). This would allow using just the upper section on its own with suitable external power from a battery block for example. Once built as a whole cart it would only require a simple connection, maybe one jumper cable interconnect, to get power to the upper section.

-  Jeff Wexler

Philip Perkins

I agree with you Phillip and as JW mentioned the trick is in minimizing connections between the 2 modules. As it stands, it takes me about 10 minutes to bolt the 2 mods together and connect power. I don't have to do anything with the board except apply power. (Since the off-the-shelf 01V96 requires AC I have need for both AC and DC feeds coming from the bottom.) I use a BDS up top for the receivers and 744T so get pretty good mileage from that single patch. If I were to relocate my p-max ultra to the top it would help even more, but I don't have room as it is now. Maybe after I move the Rx's and multi-coupler to a separate case I'll find the space. Someday...

Presently I'm installing a connector panel on the back (top mod,) mainly for Audio I/O, but incorporating DC I/O as well, which may help to cut the setup time a bit. I want to keep my DC runs as short as possible however for voltage concerns so I'll have to play with it and find a happy medium.

Originally I planned to build a case-based cart, as a number of members here have done recently. I suppose there are pros and cons to either approach and a case style may provide more environmental protection. OTOH, dust is dust and it tends to find its way into every little crack anyhow. I just like the open architecture for greater accessibility to all sides. If it's a sand or snow storm, a furnie or space blanket provides a good hasty shield. If it's super nasty, I'm running for my Easy-up!

EB

I have to admit that I really like the Rastorder carts that Rob Stalder makes. I've never seen one up close but, from the pictures, they look really elegant, well made and well designed. It's a little small to handle some of the bigger packages I see but within that limitation they are quite excellent.

Eric, do you find yourself in the LA area regularly? I'd love a chance to see it close-up.

David Waelder

I'm rigging my new rastorder cart as we speak..

I will post pictures soon.

I'm using a cooper and a DEVA. 6 zaxcom wirelesses.

I'm powering everything from a camerastyle V-lock battery. all in the top module

Pictures coming soon

Regards

Jan Deca

Brussels, Belgium

I have to admit that I really like the Rastorder carts that Rob Stalder makes. I've never seen one up close but, from the pictures, they look really elegant, well made and well designed. It's a little small to handle some of the bigger packages I see but within that limitation they are quite excellent.

Eric, do you find yourself in the LA area regularly? I'd love a chance to see it close-up.

David Waelder

David,

Check your email. Replied OG

EB

Eric, what is that light you have placed just above your mixer ?

Swivel LED light. AAA powered. Costco, 2 for $12. Have seen them elsewhere for much more. Not the greatest light ever made, but works pretty well and hard to beat for the price.

EB

• 3 months later...

Finally getting around to posting pics of my DIY laptop shelf. It's basic 3/16" 7075 T6 plate stock attached to a Magic Arm via the included "camera bracket." The relatively thin AL stock concerned me at first, but I tapped both 3/8-16 and 1/4-20 holes through the plate and used a short set screw as well as the standard camera screw to fasten the 2 together. Timing the threads was a little tricky, but it worked out in the end so both screws are flush with the top surface and the plate is very firmly attached. The way I have it mounted to the cart with a super (mafer) clamp, the inside edge of the shelf rests on the cart and helps to further stabilize it. OK, maybe it's not as elegant as a sliding shelf, but IMO it's more versatile in that positioning can be easily adjusted for preference or configuration changes and the whole thing quickly rotates inboard for secure transport or passing through narrow doorways.

EB

post-115-130815078335_thumb.jpg

post-115-130815078339_thumb.jpg

Eric B. I think your laptop support looks great. You do gain a lot of flexibility by using a Magic-Arm but what you have to live with is the fact that the Magic-Arm is pretty heavy and occupies a lot more room (space) than some other methods. Every one of these designs is a trade off of some sort --- using materials that are affordable, working with things that you can actually do yourself, hoping for success with the final effort.

-  Jeff Wexler

You do gain a lot of flexibility by using a Magic-Arm but what you have to live with is the fact that the Magic-Arm is pretty heavy and occupies a lot more room (space) than some other methods.

Some of the liabilities of the Magic-Arm can be mitigated by substituting a Noga-Arm. They work essentially the same way, have the same flexibility, lock the same, but are about 2/3 the size. Consequently, they are noticeably lighter and less cumbersome. The Magic-Arm has a bit more weight capacity but that's not usually a factor in our applications. Regrettably, I don't think the Noga-Arm is any cheaper. Prices are about $125 if I recall correctly.

David Waelder

Some of the liabilities of the Magic-Arm can be mitigated by substituting a Noga-Arm.

David Waelder

FilmTools seems to have a really good selection of the Noga line of articulated arms and they do look to be a good alternative to the Magic-Arm. It is a little difficult to judge the actual size of the various Noga-arms but they all appear to be lighter and smaller than the comparable Magic-Arm. Thanks for the info on these, David.

-  Jeff Wexler

post-1-130815078344_thumb.gif

I'm also using the Rastorder SU cart. I will post a couple of pictures over the long weekend, but I am recording to a Zaxcom Fusion w/the portable FW LaCie Hecht DVD-RAM drive, and waiting for the Mix-8 to become available as my compact fader console. I use a Comtek BST-25 on top with a Phase Right antenna, then rack-mounted directly below that is a Furman PL-II Plus LED power conditioner and a MOTU Traveler. To the right mounted on a Bogen ball head is a SD Datavideo 7" 2-ch LCD monitor fed by a Muxlab A/V Balun to/from DIT. On the rear top rack is a NetworkSound Mamba XDB patchbay feeding an 8-CH LK audio snake trunk (100'+ breakaway with fanouts) which connects to a custom wireless relay station (6 400-series Lectro wireless). I feed wireless Boom Op TB via a Comtek M/PR-216 system fed by the snake/relay station. The lower half of the SU cart houses a 3U latching drawer, a PSC Cart Power system and a 12V Pelican battery.

The easy to configure 2-piece cart has allowed me great flexibility and maneuverability. I have mixed from the back of my SUV and on a golf cart using only the top half of the SU cart. The great thing is that I can now entertain the thought of buying a smaller, more fuel efficient hatchback and still fit the cart along with its related accessories to do most jobs.

I'm currently looking into a sliding shelf solution to house my 15" laptop.

--

Brent

Some of the liabilities of the Magic-Arm can be mitigated by substituting a Noga-Arm. They work essentially the same way, have the same flexibility, lock the same, but are about 2/3 the size. Consequently, they are noticeably lighter and less cumbersome. The Magic-Arm has a bit more weight capacity but that's not usually a factor in our applications. Regrettably, I don't think the Noga-Arm is any cheaper. Prices are about $125 if I recall correctly.

David Waelder

I did stop by FilmTools when I was last in LA and looked at the Noga-Arm. Weight aside, I like the Magic-Arm better because it IS larger. The extended length of the MA allows me to clamp it farther back on the cart yet swing the laptop shelf forward, right along side my console for better ergonomics. The pic I posted shows it set back somewhat, and a Noga would probably work OK for that type of configuration. I also like the lever mechanism of the Magic Arm rather than the twist knob, very quick and secure.

Forgot to mention that for laptop security I'm just using Velcro "One Wrap" (I think it's called,) double-sided hook/loop and available in various length rolls. It simply wraps around the top of the laptop at the screen/keyboard joint and under the shelf, attaching back to itself in a similar manner to rip ties. This is not shown in the pic, but works well except that I can't fully close the screen. That hasn't been an issue yet. I was going to use the ol' carpet/velcro approach, but decided against it as the bare AL shelf makes a great heat sink for the Mac. Lee Ascher told me about a laptop skin type thing that attaches to a Macbook Pro base and can be velcro'd to the shelf but still provides for a little cooling space underneath. I just haven't had a chance to look into it yet.

EB

• 2 weeks later...