MKH 8030 ? Did anyone ask where it is at NAB ?

Donald

Did anyone at NAB ask Sennheiser about the MKH 8030 figure-8 microphone ?

Do they acknowledge demand for this mic ?

I would quite like to make up a more compact MS pair, but the 8030 remains missing four years after the 8020, 8040 and 8050 launch.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/serviceandsupport_contactus_technical-support

"Dear Sennheiser, I would like to find a microphone to compete with the possible purchase of a Schoeps MK8 collette system. Do you have or plan to issue a microphone in this same size and performance classifications ***cough MKH8030 cough***? Or should I proceed with the purchase of the Schoeps?"

I did ask about an 8030 last year at Sennheiser, and a pleasant German exec told me "no, ve haff no plans for such a thing at this time." The gist of it was, there were design problems in making a figure-8 mike this small, and he advised that the existing MKH-30 would work fine. I also got the impression that the MKH-30 is not a huge seller.

Something tells me that the MKH80/800 have probably saturated the market for 'new' Sennheiser figure of 8 mics, at least in the music sector. I could be way off though.

I used to own a pair of the 800 Twins. It was a very unique design. The twins were different front the normal 800s in that it output two separate signals for each of the capsules rather than matrixing the signal into the desired polar pattern. If you wanted omni, you would bring up both channels equally on your mixer. Figure 8, flip the phase on the rear facing capsule. Hyper, flip phase of the reader and bring down by 10 dB. Cardioid, just use the front capsule alone and cut the rear one entirely. Price point is in an entirely different league in the case of the twins and moderately more expensive for the 800s. They are a large diaphragm capsule, side address obviously, and are larger than the 8000 series.

The real issue though is that two opposing cardioid capsules is not quite the same as a single diaphragm fig8. For instrument recording it gets the same results. For M-S recording it gets 75-90% of the way there, but a single capsule fig8 will ultimately matrix better when it comes to MS stereo performance. Also small diaphragm capsules are more appropriate for the types of sound recordings we do here.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

With NAB a few months away I thought of resuscitating this thread. Did everybody lose hope on ever seeing one produced? I'm still interested in getting one. Maybe they have found a way to solve their previous design problems.

What are your thoughts? Has anybody heard any more updates?