This could be me & my foldup cart...

FWIW I might add to this.

I made a few of these carts a while ago, mainly at the request of someone else. I had a few military instructional videos to do so I thought I might try one for myself.

As you can see I had three of these Chihuahua cameras constantly snapping at my heels - Rob can you move a bit to the left, to the right, boom over the reflector, etc etc.

I realised I would have to put castors on the front as I was pushing & pulling it this way & that. The castors worked fine, I experimented with 3 sizes & decided the best were 3inch ones, particularely in the rough ground.

I also experimented with boom mounts & ended up with a small box bottom shelf front left & a manfrotto super clamp top shelf front left. PSC bobbers also work well in place of the super clamp. This meant I didn't have to lean the boom up against the cart or a tree with the risk of someone tripping over it.

I now have the bigger wheels with better bearings & axles allowing me to bolt them directly to the side of the cart as in the 3 shelf version. This enables the cart to be much narrower.

This cart is not designed for Drama nor to carry a lot of weight, although some people have given it a go with a small setup. I have made available a larger shelf (deeper F to B) as an option for a flat bed mixer.

Cart weighs about 8kg or 17.5lbs.

As this is the style of work I do I am very pleased with myself to have at last made something I can use and - it works for me.

Rob Stalder

9mm Singo03 cropped.jpg

• 2 months later...

I've made changes to my foldup cart:

Weight has gone up a bit to 10.5kg (24lbs) folded height is 1270mm (50inches)  Havn't updated my website yet. Outrigger wheel support has gone, very top shelf fits over frame side uprights & handle at rear for better balance when wheeling. (if v/top shelf is not on)

112007.jpg smaller.jpg

082007.jpg crop.jpg

122007.jpg smaller.jpg

I've made changes to my foldup cart:

Weight has gone up a bit to 10.5kg (24lbs) folded height is 1270mm (50inches)  Havn't updated my website yet. Outrigger wheel support has gone, very top shelf fits over frame side uprights & handle at rear for better balance when wheeling. (if v/top shelf is not on)

These look great.  How much are they (US$)?  I must have missed the earlier posts in this thread--I'd never seen your sweet little bag-rig carts.  Do you sell those too, or are they custom order?  I do a lot of one man work off a funky bag-holder rig I made many years ago, so I'm very interested.  My only criticism of what I see is that I've found it beneficial for the stand to be able to roll easily in any direction--easier for last minute adjustments with a pole in your hand.  Maybe "smart" wheels all around?

Philip Perkins

• 1 year later...

Have just made some more foldup carts, keeping the same dimensions, but have painted them black to see how they looked. Have kept the feature of an option for the 2nd shelf down to be larger at no extra cost - but the carts have gone up an extra AUD$50. Also tried out 16" side mounted spoke wheels, which are interchangeable on the cart with the12" ones. There are 2 mounting locations.

As the axle mounts are at the rear to keep away from folding mechanism, the wheels do stick out the back. The 12" ones are not that noticeable at 180mm (7"), but the 16" ones are at 220mm (8 3/4") - But they sure do boogie over rough terrain.

The top half shelf lifts off and can be placed in either direction.

Rob Stalder

www.rastorder.com.au

262007.JPG

242007.JPG

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Very nice Rob. If I didn't have 2 of your carts already I would serriousally consider on for the small one man band shoots, but I think my wife might kill me if I buy any more carts. Incidently the 2G is back from the painters tomorrow so I will post some photos to see how it has held up though out it's repair process.

On another note, one of the cast from the tree incident bumped into me the other day on set, looked around and pointed to a tree a good 100m away and says," Watch out Michael,there's a tree over there." Why do I get the felling that damm tree is going to follow me around for years.

Michael

PS sorry for the semi off topic post. 

We have been heading towards this for a while now & we finally have the 30 second flat pack.

Lift off the top half shelf, fold up the cart, pull off the push button quick release

12 inch or 16 inch wheels... 

There you have it.

http://www.rastorder.com.au/product_foldup.htm

Rob Stalder

I really like this. I will definitely be saving up to order this. How much total to Atlanta, GA 30076 USA?

Any JW Discounts? ha ha

Thanks

Nicole

Thanks Nicole.

Freight (door to door) to USA by economy air is AUD$250 - providing you are in normal delivery area.

Prices of cart are on Foldup specifications page  http://www.rastorder.com.au/product_foldupspec.htm

Accessories are here  http://www.rastorder.com.au/otherproduct.htm

Currency converter is here  http://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/

Rob

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...