PSC RF MULTI SMA : POWERING QUESTION

piero

Hi all,

I just bought an RF MULTI SMA and I'd like to know if I can power it with a IDX NP-L7S through my PSC POWERSTAR MINI.

I know that the RF MULTI SMA accepts a dc source between 10 and 15Vdc, but my NP-L7S fully charged is on 16V, or more.

Powering the RF MULTI with the NP-L7S could damage it?

Can I solve the problem without having to buy another battery?

Thanks!

Piero.

do not power with anything more then 15V!!!

Relax!

According to PSC, the 15v refers to the NOMINAL voltage of a battery, not its peak. Seeing as an NP-1(and most every other Li-Ion battery) has a nominal voltage of 14.4-14.8v, you will be fine.

FWIW, this not not the standard way of stating a devices input voltage range and has caused confusion previously on this forum.

I've been using mine 5-6 days per week since the first week of February. I have two QRX100 units in block 21 and a couple Lectros in 21/22. I have the RF SMA in my bag and can easily switch from a couple dipoles to sharkfins to whips.

A few weeks ago my unit's RF amp died after 6 weeks of working perfectly. I sent it to PSC and they replaced the amp the same day and got it back to me right away. Back to working again perfectly.

This unit is worth every penny!

Alright because I'm an idiot I'll just ask my questions. I have done some reading on it. But I don't own any sharkfins or anything like that yet. I am trying to understand this whole antenna thing.

So! With PSC RF, you can power antennas if you need to. But what can of benefits can it give me in the bag? Range? More DB?

Thanks guys for taking the time to help me understand.

Justin,

On Trew Audio's website there is a great read about different antennas. I believe there is a link directly on their home page.

As was mentioned above, there is a lot less clutter in the bag. It also allows to quickly swap out different antennas depending on your needs.

My current setup allows me to put my bag on an upright Magliner cart with a couple sharkfins or dipoles. But, if I need to strap on the gear and run'n'gun in about 20 seconds I can have a couple whip antennas or mount my dipoles on the bag for greater range.

" But what can of benefits can it give me in the bag? Range? More DB? "

since range seems to be your holy-grail (and you are not alone)... the answer is

(oh-oh, here it comes...)

nope, for this one there is a definite maybe!

but the device does not directly provide the improvement, but rather the use of the device to improve other factors that will result in better system performance.

" But what can of benefits can it give me in the bag? Range? More DB? "

since range seems to be your holy-grail (and you are not alone)... the answer is

(oh-oh, here it comes...)

nope, for this one there is a definite maybe!

but the device does not directly provide the improvement, but rather the use of the device to improve other factors that will result in better system performance.

Aw! I figured it might be something like that. But I guess in some ways it could help with range because you can move it easier to another part of the bag or higher up on your body to help with range. I understand the unit itself will not improve range it can just make antenna positioning easier :)

" RF Spectrum Update and Tips and Tricks for Wireless System Design and Installation

This RF webinar, presented by Sennheiser, will teach attendees how to plan and operate wireless systems in the toughest environments. Participants will review core RF principles, transmitter and receiver technology, and the latest information on FCC policies that may affect wireless microphone users. To enhance knowledge on complex multi-channel RF systems, system planning topics will include frequency coordination, antenna distribution systems, and overall system design and optimization considerations.

Webinar will take place on Thursday, May 17th 2012, 2:00PM (EST)

http://hermanproav.com/learning/webinars.aspx "

http://hermanproav.com/learning/webinars.aspx

" RF Spectrum Update and Tips and Tricks for Wireless System Design and Installation

This RF webinar, presented by Sennheiser, will teach attendees how to plan and operate wireless systems in the toughest environments. Participants will review core RF principles, transmitter and receiver technology, and the latest information on FCC policies that may affect wireless microphone users. To enhance knowledge on complex multi-channel RF systems, system planning topics will include frequency coordination, antenna distribution systems, and overall system design and optimization considerations.

Webinar will take place on Thursday, May 17th 2012, 2:00PM (EST)

http://hermanproav.com/learning/webinars.aspx "

http://hermanproav.com/learning/webinars.aspx

Sweet! Thanks for that. I just signed up for it :)