Lectrosonics Gear Stolen from NAB

Rob Lewis

From Gordon Moore via Facebook. Passing it along.

LONG POST! Stolen gear from NAB - there were three cases, identical in size and shape with no external markings - they had time to OPEN them and pick the case with the high dollar stuff - below is the list - please call if you are offered any of this gear (and get names....... after you shoot them!) - Gordon

QTY Model SN SN SN SN Notes

1 WM-20 104 body pack

1 WM-19 102 body pack

1 WM-22 108 body pack

1 WM-23 110 body pack

2 LMA-23 9509 9348 body pack

1 LMA-26 9449 body pack

4 UM400A-21 12265 12266 12267 12268 body pack

2 SRA5P-21 61631 50323 Portable receiver

2 SRA5P-24 65101 61676 Portable receiver

2 SRA-26 100637 100639 Portable receiver

2 SRA-21 105118 100282 Portable receiver

4 UCR411A-22 20182 19927 19928 19929 Portable receiver

4 UCR401-25 5046 5047 5048 5049 receiver

2 UCR100-21 10920 10826 Portable receiver

2 UCR100-22 10901 10902 Portable receiver

4 D4R 208 209 210 211 Digital wireless

4 D4T 190 193 194 195 Digital wireless

4 R400A-21 3353 3563 3564 3565 desk top receiver

4 IFBT4-24 5478 5504 5505 5506 base station

4 IFBR1A-25 2313 23783 23784 23785 belt pack receiver

4 M4R 128 177 123 139 belt pack receiver

4 M4T 101 108 161 162 base station

2 Octopack-L 10149 60119 Portable dock

1 SPNTRIO 5400191 DSP

3 VRMWBL 1501041 1501042 1501043 Rack receiver

1 VRS-22 8146 Receiver module

2 VRS-23 8157 8156 Receiver module

2 VRS-25 8172 8171 Receiver module

1 VRS-19 8134 Receiver module

1 MM400C-19 1566 body pack

1 MM400C-23 1563 body pack

1 MM400C-25 1608 body pack

1 MM400C-26 1522 body pack

4 HM-25 4153 4189 4190 3776 plug-on

4 SMV-21 1680 1907 1908 1909 body pack

1 SMQV-25 5981 body pack

2 SMQV-19 5849 6408 body pack

1 SMQV-22 6380 body pack

1 HH-19 ? handheld

1 HH-20 ? Handheld

1 HH-21 ? handheld

1 HH-24 ? handheld

Wondering if it would be a good idea to add a lost and stolen category here for doing quick searches before buying used gear

While I know our esteemed host JW has said that he feels there are too many sections to the board already... This might not be such a bad thing, and any postings that are left in other sections can be moved to the stolen section by anyone blessed as a Moderator in the forum software. We all have experienced the sadness that is the search function on these forum software systems... This at least would give the ability to only "search the following section" when looking specifically for stolen gear before a prospective purchase.

Wow. I have to say, it seemed that there was less security this year than I've seen in years past. From what I've heard, the theft happened during load out, so it was either another exhibitor, security, or the people doing the actual load out, and I don't think it was the people doing the actual load out (unless they picked out the gear right before they loaded the stuff on the truck). The people doing the load out (freeman services), are too busy to go through crates of gear. But who knows? There are no security cameras on the inside or outside of the convention center. I am wondering if costs were cut and there was less security guards in the convention center at night than in the years past. I am also thinking that us manufacturers need to hire our own private security to stay with the gear when we aren't around, and that's from load in to load out...that, or we install our own video surveillance systems in our booths and on the inside of the cases. If someone opens your case, you have a good look right at their face. I wonder if complaining to Freeman Services will get anyone anywhere? These thefts we are hearing about are just in our little world. I wonder if there were thefts in the north hall as well.

Based on conversations with many friends who exhibit: Yes

Man, what a drag for Lectro (and Zaxcom earlier).

To have two major manufacturers hit like this, not to this degree. much smaller items in the past. a mic or lower ticket items here and there, but the list from these 2 companies is outrageous.

PS- D-Fisk. the security was minimal to say the least, thats BS. I walked out at closing with a couple exhibitors and as you said the yellow jacket security force of the past was not present.

To have two major manufacturers hit like this, not to this degree. much smaller items in the past. a mic or lower ticket items here and there, but the list from these 2 companies is outrageous.

Yeah, I've never heard of this much gear being taken like this. I can't believe there is no video surveillance in the convention center...

I think if someone is going to post something as stolen on this site they need to back it up with serial numbers, and need to have already filed this with the police department, and called the manufacturer of the items. For this, I mean that our communities are small, and if you called Lectro or Sound Devices, for example, I am quite sure they would take a stolen equipment report seriously. Then, if someone ever returns that gear for service, or calls in to see if it's stolen, they will be able to tell you. It is not good enough just to say, "This was stolen" on a forum.

It does bring to mind whether or not we should all be contacting the manufacturers of items we purchase used over a certain dollar mount. I'm not here to specify what that is for people, but I think in the future when I purchase anything for myself used that costs over $500 I will be contacting the manufacturer just to double check. I'd certainly hate to send it a used digital recorder for servicing only to find out it was reported stolen.

Ouch.

Serial number of both the Lectro and Zaxcom thefts are posted. I also have no doubt in my mind that this equipment was immediately reported to the Las Vegas Police. I would however request my money back from the convention center, and also have an attorney make a call to them as well. Little to no security at such a high profile event like this is inexcusable for any venue provider. Someone must answer for that.

I know the Zaxcom stuff was reported on thursday morning when they realized it was stolen to the LVPD. I think Lectro just found out today when shipping crates came back missing gear. I am sure they have reported the theft to LVPD. It costs a lot to do NAB, and we as manufacturers take steps to secure our gear at the end of each day and then at the very end of the show, but we do leave overall security to the folks that run NAB. It is one thing to have something small walk during the show in the middle of the day. It's another to have gear taken after hours when security is supposed to be patrolling the floor or when load out is happening after the show closes on thursday.

While I know our esteemed host JW has said that he feels there are too many sections to the board already... This might not be such a bad thing, and any postings that are left in other sections can be moved to the stolen section by anyone blessed as a Moderator in the forum software. We all have experienced the sadness that is the search function on these forum software systems... This at least would give the ability to only "search the following section" when looking specifically for stolen gear before a prospective purchase.

Actually I have been thinking for some time that what we need a searchable database that covers both sound and camera equipment. In a searchable database instead of the lists that exist in a few places.

My thinking is that a list gets confusing and more difficult to look through after the first few items are posted. Where as a database with drop down tabs where you select make, model and serial number would cut through the clutter quickly, by allowing for a couple of levels of refinement.

As for keeping camera and sound equipment on the same list, there are a lot of shooters who own at least some sound gear weather it be a slot receiver or a small eng bag so keeping things together also keeps more people coming back to the same place. I would think that it could also become be used by law enforcement and pawn shops to do a quick background check or track down rightful owners.

I am very sorry both Lectrosonics and Zaxcom. These guys spend so much money to bring us booths and products at NAB and this happens to them. Glen, Larry, and Gordon I wish you the best with dealing with this loss. I hope it turns out well and the thieves are caught and punished! Thanks for what your companies do for our industry.

It is always a pleasure at NAB! Thanks again!

Cheers,

Whit

There's perimeter security, but there are also "OK to remove" stickers that can be stuck on boxes/cases/etc. There's also a whole lot of stuff moving in and out on every day. And an organized group of thieves could perhaps move stolen goods into an empty shipping container near the LVCC and pick it up later. When I worked for a company that exhibited, we were encouraged by NAB to hire booth security, and we didn't really have much worth stealing (it was a magazine publishing company).

I've been going to NAB for about 18 years now (but not this year); every year I hear about thefts. Usually from companies with known consumer brands (Sony, Panasonic, JVC, Microsoft), or other companies showing items from said brands. Including some big stuff (flat-screen monitors, ENG cameras, etc). I'm told that CES is worse (more consumer stuff, lots of it small and easily fenceable). Nothing unique to NAB or Vegas; according to a neighbor who works for GES (a huge tradeshow company) and friends who exhibit, there are similar problems at all large convention halls.

But it's really too bad that the problems hit two companies in our world. Again, condolences to Lectro and Zax.

The reason I haven't posted about this is that it is possible that the crate was picked up by the company packing up the framework for the booth itself. We are checking with them and will let you all know. However if the above posted serial numbers come up for sale, they are stolen.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

The reason I haven't posted about this is that it is possible that the crate was picked up by the company packing up the framework for the booth itself. We are checking with them and will let you all know. However if the above posted serial numbers come up for sale, they are stolen.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

we will keep a big eye out thats for sure. sorry for the huge lose. the word is out.

Frank.

Were there really super secret things stolen? Not to belittle the crime, but the Lectrosonics missing gear included the WM. While not yet for sale, it's pretty much the glorious innards of the existing SM series in a waterproof housing. It would be pretty easy to buy a SMv. Zaxcom lost prototypes, which displayed some software features not yet in models for sale. This seemed like more of a theft of valuable stuff (though difficult to resell outside certain circles).

It's quite possible there were other thefts that we just have not heard about. Obviously the people that manage the show, and the facility itself, are not going to publicize this. I think I first heard about it because Rado posted the Zaxcom list and serial numbers. Hardly a press release.

Industrial espionage is hardly new. My father was an engineer and machine designer/builder. He used to tell us stories of his engineer buddies learning the hard way how that stuff went down going back to the 1950s that he knew about. During WW2 everything was pretty buttoned up if it had any security risks. There was no internet, so it was stories shared at gatherings of colleagues.