Loon migrates north to Alaska

Eric Burge

I just picked up a new Loon 10' pole. It's actually a demo, but I'm going to take it up to this next AK shoot for a good tromp through the bush. Stand by for comments and photos. We'll be up there for about a month.

The show is called Expedition: Alaska. 3 units, 2 shows. Shooting on Pan HDX900s + all the widgets and trick cam stuff. So far: A-Stars, Float Planes, Microlight, Heli-gimble, Dive Boat, Sea Kayaks, River Rafts & Kayaks, Skis, Ice climbing, etc., etc.

And for sound? Top-shelf kits. Details to follow upon return. And if you can even believe it, they don't even want M/S, much less 5.1. For FREE. :(

But, I never go into the bush without at least my M/S (gotta build my own library!) so...we'll see.

Stay tuned...

EB

Guest Jeff Colon

just outside Anderson

LOL... I have a copy of "Blue Planet" shot mostly underwater... absolutley beautiful, but I don't think they used anything but wild trx on location and lots of library...

Have a great time !

I was laughing when I saw the title of this thread... this "loon" would like to migrate to a cooler less flood prone place...soon

J

• 2 weeks later...

Remember bears dont run well down steap hills, neither do mixers with a ENG bag on their belly ;)

Nor with full backpack apparently. I blew out my left ACL hopping over a narrow glacier crevasse 3 days ago.  Ouch! Gotta love the Rx, but rather be in the bush than the ER.

I took liberty to modify the initial post as there were some errors. Sorry...

This Discovery show is being produced out of the UK, but apparently no direct affiliation with the BBC.

Loon is working well, but a few minor mods would help. Details later.

EB

Dude, you forgot to mention polar ice and the methane lake...

Wishing you a speedy and thorough recovery.

Glen P.

We're just waiting for you to chime in and tell us all about it. Swim in the Arctic? Burn up the tundra?

Where are you guys? See you back in JNU on the 18th...

EB

There's another discussion here, "new boom pole advice", which addresses some of the thoughtful design concepts of the new Loon poles. Wing vs. straight plug-in seems to be of interest and a popular requested option. Apparently the new Neutrik RA XLR will allow this. Please see other thread for details.

Personally, I changed out the stock washer at the tip with a harder, semi-rigid plastic one as I found my K-Tek GPS shock mount had a tendency to work loose with the softer rubber OEM washer, especially when using a rather long MKH70 in zeppelin for run & gun.

For my own style of working ENG/EFP, I like it a lot. It handles well and is very easy to lock the length with a quick twist. Also, sections come apart without needing to slide through larger tubes to the base. This makes for easy cleaning and quick break-down if required for transport in road case rather than dedicated pole case.

EB