Boom pole favorite?

11miles

I have a a large PSC for drama work and an older 8' VDB for run-n-gun. Like them both. VDB must be over 20 yrs. old (It was old when I bought it used). still in very good condition. extremely well made. The VDB is externally cabled (my preference) and the PSC coiled internal cable (most boom op's preference). I too find the PSC cable noisy in some conditions eg: in very cold conditions. vinyl (or whatever it is) covering must get stiff. full extension is noisiest. otherwise love the PSC and it's excellent construction.

Chris Newton

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok..... I have to reply to this post. I still love the Frogpole, a green, plastic relic of the '70s. It is light, fast, and quiet....perfect for documentaries. It can be extended and contracted with little noise....best used with a Schoeps ccm 41 for quick response in fast moving situations. The Washington D.C. area is a hot bed of Frogpole users. There are still five or six of us who love this pole. We guard them carefully. We are always on the look out for new ones. They are very hard to find. I use big VDB poles for general stuff. But when the work is demanding, out comes the Frogpole.

Ciao, Sully

I've used a 11'4" uncabled Gitzo for the last 5 years. I use sticky velcro on the locks for my cable. It's extremely light and I like the way it fits in my hand. It's also very fast (though not silent) to extend/collapse. The cabled poles I've tried (K-Tek) have needed some babying to collapse, maybe from age, I don't know. I prefer to manage my own cables.

12' Gitzo aluminum pole works for me. I've used the same pole in carbon fiber, and while it is half the weight and I will probably buy one soon, I've had no issues with the aluminum pole. The collar locks are smooth and an easy 1/4 turn to loosen and tighten. Its a bear at the full 12 feet, and flexes a good bit, but I just tell myself that its worlds better than what dudes were running and gunning with in the 1970's, and enjoy the workout!

That being said, I'll probably be getting a 8'-10' internal cable CF pole at some point for doco/media scrum work. I can deal with the external cable, but one less thing to deal with is always nice on those shoots.

• 2 months later...

Agree. My ambient boompole is built like a brick truck and rigid as a rock, but the locking mechanism leaves much to be desired. Got to try out my boom ops new panamic boom pole (she got for free... what the hell?!) and its pretty :blink: amazing. love the locking mechanism , and the thought putting in adjustable end stops.

Hey Chum,

That Panamic, as lovely as it is, it's too heavy for me ;-( especially on wides. It nearly kills me! (although, most wides kill me anyway) I've been borrowing a Loon, and it's so much easier for me. I may just have to buy one.

Nat

So far, Loon's been the best for me but I bought it a few years ago and wouldn't even consider it right now; their behavior with customers has been doubtful these last two years from what I can read here on the forum combined to the fact a few major dealers stopped selling stuff from them (probably a reason for that).

12' Gitzo aluminum pole works for me. I've used the same pole in carbon fiber, and while it is half the weight and I will probably buy one soon, I've had no issues with the aluminum pole. The collar locks are smooth and an easy 1/4 turn to loosen and tighten. Its a bear at the full 12 feet, and flexes a good bit, but I just tell myself that its worlds better than what dudes were running and gunning with in the 1970's, and enjoy the workout!

That being said, I'll probably be getting a 8'-10' internal cable CF pole at some point for doco/media scrum work. I can deal with the external cable, but one less thing to deal with is always nice on those shoots.

Same here, actually its entirely possible that mine is from the same batch. From what I remember at the time I purchased the Aluminum Gitzo all the CF poles I looked at had a very large diameter at the base, perhaps 2 inches or so. And as I have hands that run on the small side I did not want to have to hold a pole with a partially open grip hence I went with the aluminum Gitzo. Now the last couple of years that seems to have changed so I guess I will be in the market for a pole soon.

I know a couple of guys in the UK with Loon poles, although one of them had an issue and had to find another solution (I think it involved a PSC part) as he didn't get a reply from Loon.

Hmm.. Thank's. I like the Loon boompoles but..

That's why to look Ambient or K-Tek in EU.

• 4 weeks later...

Love Ambient booms. We have a QP4140 - 5.4m and a QP5140 - 6.6m ( that is a 4140 with an extra 120 section) which do the bulk of the boom work. We also have a QX580 (the lighter build works well at shorter lengths), a QP5190 Jumbo used mostly on a stand and great for getting a stereo or surround good and high. Also an old QL550 for when you need it short. Great poles. Smooth, robust, low handling noise, spares readily available and not madly expensive.

Tim

Love Ambient booms. We have a QP4140 - 5.4m and a QP5140 - 6.6m ( that is a 4140 with an extra 120 section) which do the bulk of the boom work. We also have a QX580 (the lighter build works well at shorter lengths), a QP5190 Jumbo used mostly on a stand and great for getting a stereo or surround good and high. Also an old QL550 for when you need it short. Great poles. Smooth, robust, low handling noise, spares readily available and not madly expensive.

Tim

I saw on here a while back that someone had a complaint about ambient poles and the gloss finish throwing little light pings around the room and into the frame of the shot. Can you comment on this?

Also, a question for K-Tek Stagepole users, can anyone comment on the removable mic spud? K-Tek's website does not show it in action very well. Does it work in a similar fashion to VDB and PSC's design allowing you to have a mike spud on each shockmount and use it as a quick release? It's one of my favorite features of my VDB poles (one of which is right now, 12ft vdb, good condition... shameless plug!). Also, are the Stagepoles thicker than the Klassic series?

Thanks!

Hi Derek,

Normal K-Tek boom poles are 5 sections, but we do make 6 section poles as well. For our stage poles, we use sections 6 through 2, so they are larger in diameter than the typical Klassic pole. Here is a video I just made to show you the top section. Please excuse the wind noise. I ran outside real quick to make this for you, and just shot it on my iphone and used it's internal micrphone.

Wow! Thank you Dave! Nice T-shirt!

That makes things much clearer. I may be the one who would rather not tie the cable off at the end, would it work if you just snugged the 'spud' part against the cable coming out of that bottom slot? Sort of biting the cable at that point? Or would that lead to a chewed up cable eventually?

The way I have my poles now each shockmount I use has a dedicated thin/cloth shorty and I just patch the shorty to the boom cable at the tip of the pole... if that makes sense. I use the little Rycote XLR holder part to grab the XLRs so they don't clang around.

Thanks again for the video demo.

Hey Derek,

If it were me doing what you want to do, I'd cut the cable length down of the straight part that sticks out of the top, and just put a regular straight XLR connector on the end, and plug that into your cloth cable. I wouldn't use the notch out of the top head piece to pinch off the cable. Personally, I'm a big fan of the stage poles because they have the removable head piece, which makes changing out the cable really easy. We've been doing it for years, and back when I used to do sound effects recording, I'd be able to switch out the 3 pin xlr cable with a 5 pin, and then change out the 3 pin CCR base with a 5 pin CCR base for stereo recording. Also, if a customer needs to replace the internal coiled cable, and they have a stage pole, I can just ship a cable right from the factory rather than have the pole be shipped in and have a new cable installed.

Oh..and thanks for the compliment on the shirt. For those that don't know..you really can't see the word "football" under the Orbiting Death logo. The Orbiting Death is a football team in the Galactic Football League. Their stadium is on Orbital Station One. It's from a series of books by Scott Sigler, my favorite author.

I saw on here a while back that someone had a complaint about ambient poles and the gloss finish throwing little light pings around the room and into the frame of the shot. Can you comment on this?

Also, a question for K-Tek Stagepole users, can anyone comment on the removable mic spud?

Thanks!

Reflections have not been a problem in the last 15 years but I'll keep my eyes open. We also use the Ambient Quicklok quick release tips. One on each pole and a cone on each mic mount. Very quick / convenient.

Tim

I have to say K-Tek's are my favorite boom pole, for a variety of reasons. Not too heavy (ambient), very rigid, and great quality construction. Ambient's are incredibly rigid, but I never could muster the endurance to use them all day!

Also, K-Tek's are actually the quietest straight cabled poles I have used, bar none.