MKH 8000 series

miker71

Hello All,

I enjoy this forum and am grateful for it.  It is quite different from - and a nice compliment to - RAMPS.  I look forward to contributing more in the future than I have thus far.  You are a cool bunch of cats.  Anyway, I bought an 8050 yesterday and will share some first impressions from booming my wife and stepdaughter conversing in the living room with a 442 as mixer.  The mic sounds great - very transparent and natural.  I think it will deal well with live, echoey rooms.  The frequency response certainly exceeds the limits of my hearing at the high end.  The low end goes ALL the way down and is just a bit of a concern to me.  There's no low-cut switch like on the 50 and currently no low-cut filter listed in the extensive "MKH 80X0 Accessories" booklet.  I guess we'll just have to control that at the mixer for now, which worked well, but was necessary.  I also threw the mic on a wireless boom using a MM400 tx.  It sounded great with no additional filtering at the mixer.  Whether the transmitter could deal with a major low frequency rumble remains to be seen.  The output level of the mic seems a good match for this transmitter (which none of you use for wireless boom, I know).

The mic required quite a bit of gain (when hardlined), but that is not uncommon with the 442.  IIRC, my old Neumann KMR81 required this much gain or more.  I am used to using a CS3e with my 442, which is definitely a hotter mic.  So, that's all I got for now.  No real-world use by me yet.

Regards,

Paul

BTW, I don't own a Schoeps or a MKH-50 (That's why I bought the 8050), so no direct comparisons by me.  I'll be interested to here what the Schoeps afficianodos have to say.  I love the 50 and almost bought one in the past, but the small size of this (and the accessories) makes it more verstile for me in the long run.

Paul

Aww, Frank, yer embarrassin' me.  Seriously, though, thanks for the encouragement (even though my last post had three misspellings---ouch).  I don't live in the "take your laptop to work" world very often, like some of you lucky folks, but I check in with JWSound whenever I can.

Paul