Problem with Want To Buy - Want To Sell

Jeff Wexler

It has been reported to me that a sales transaction originating from this site has gone very badly for one of our members purchasing a used item offered up for sale by another member. I am not going to go into the details. This post should serve as a warning, once again, that our membership should be very cautious when considering a purchase of anything offered on this site. I am very close to shutting down the whole section but I would rather like to keep it going since there are many established and trusted members who have made very good use of the section.

Sorry to hear that Jeff,

I hope you don't shut the whole section down. There is always a risk with transactions of this nature, but in the case of the JWSound Forum and this particular section, I think the good far outweighs the bad. People just need to be cautious, like you said. I don't know the details of the aforementioned transaction (don't want to) but buyer beware, right? Please don't shut the section down.

~tt

Just a thought about this , maybe people should supply phone numbers to talk to each other

I have made several good purchases from this site, never been burned

Sellers have gone all out to me to answer questions and have offered to have me call them for more information

Hope you don't take it down Jeff

I understand if you do, but to me it is a great resource

Thanks

Tom Maloney

Chicago

PS really enjoyed We Bought A Zoo

Jeff, for every bad transaction occurring here there are hundreds of good ones. I have made many successful buy/sell transactions that originated from this forum and never had an issue. Buyers/sellers need to know who they're dealing with before making any transaction.

Jeff, if you shut down the WTB/WTS section, you will be taking away part of what makes this Forum so great. I suggest maybe implementing restrictions on posting on the WTB/WTS forum based on the amount of time a member has been here, and or post count. Just my $.02.

I posted for a friend but I processed the transactions and take full responsibility for everything people got from me.

I agree senator. Confidentiality is not such a good idea.

another thought is restricting "posting for a friend".members are accountable,

and maybe keeping the info confidential is not such a good idea, either ..??

I have done much selling and buying on this site 90 percent of the time it has been a well established member. The few times it wasn't I was able to verify that they were a real person and sound mixer via other sources. I won't shut down the section down just use common sense

I am new to the forums and have been very active with purchasing things I need for my kit at good value. +1 from me for keeping it running. It is a very important resource for me during the growth of my career since I am unable to afford to buy new at this time for many items! Thanks !

Perhaps we can limit the classifieds section to an invite only or for members with X number of posts prior to gaining access?

Is post count enough? What if someone just posts a bunch of +1s around the site and then their post count is high based on non-informational posts? I'm not trying to be a bummer, but I think a lot of this is just being here to witness months and years of conversations. There are many members on here, for example that I would not hesitate to buy something from based on me reading their posts for ages. But there are others that I wouldn't purchase anything from at all.

I think Whitney has the right idea. Be on the lookout for people you know from the site, and if you don't know them, either verify with another sound mixer you do know is legit, or don't buy.

Another option is to only buy high-priced items on eBay with private listings. That means that the member can post a private listing link here or can send you the link via email upon request, and the transaction happens on eBay, away from JWSound completely. My understanding (you must verify this) is that all private listings on eBay are still covered by Buyer Protection services, meaning it is much safer than simply sending someone a check. You can also check out the seller's eBay history and even pay with PayPal, which has it's own Buyer Protection policy (see section 13).

At least if you do that, you have some form of recourse. Maybe. Sometimes.

Best of luck to all.

... I am very close to shutting down the whole section but I would rather like to keep it going since there are many established and trusted members who have made very good use of the section.

I recently made a sell via the forum to a rather new member (even newer than myself!), made my own "discerning" assessment based on all the things they posted. Purchase happened after a phone call however, and the sale went flawlessly and quick.

We all have to make our own decisions and be accountable. Once we've "established" ourselves here, our reputation is on the line.

I like that other members jump in and post "vouchers" for others on that section, it helps a lot.

And I can now vouch for Jesse!

Keep us accountable Jeff by keeping the section open!

ANNOUNCEMENT: I will not be taking down the Want To Buy - Want To Sell section, it is obviously an important part of this site and when used properly provides a vital service. I think if we are all careful and disciplined when using the Buy - Sell section it can continue to have a life without a lot of trouble --- that would be the hope.

Ebay and Paypal are worthless for protecting buyers. I hate both of them which is why I prefer to sell on this site

That is sad to hear. I have never had to use their 'protection', which is good because apparently it doesn't work. So I would say again that I think Whitney has the right idea. Check up on who you're buying from.

Ditto on this. Their claimed protection is essentially worthless.
X3 - they also do not care if a seller is the victim of a scammer. They will demand "proof" of a shipment, then arbitrarily decide to refund the scammer who claims "item not received." Then they have the gall to demand that the seller reimburse THEM, when it was their decision to ignore the shipment proof.You can NEVER talk to a real human being, they treasure their anonymity. I have been the victim of a scammer on eBay / PayPal 4 times in over 200 transactions. 3 were as a buyer, once as a seller (where eBay is now demanding reimbursement that they will never see or compel from me). The buyer ones... 2 were a low value that eBay graciously "decided" in my favor and refunded me. The high value one? eBay / PayPal told me that "the seller provided proof of shipment, best of luck to you in the future" with the expectation that I would just eat it.Sucks for them... I NEVER use PayPal without running it through my credit card. VISA wasn't impressed with them, and promptly refunded me and told PAYPAL to suck it.As far as the WTB/FS section here... I have had several smooth transactions with long term members here, and am in process of one right now. I hope to have many more. I look at this site as trading gear amongst like-minded friends... Who will deal with a scammer with all due haste and vitriol. We protect our own. Thanks for not taking the section down.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I recently brought an item from a newish member from overseas, it was easy enough to do a google/imdb search and find out his home address/phone/ professional credentials etc. Sure it didn't mean I wasn't going to be a victim of a scam but it eased my mind.. Anyway, turned out I knew some friends that had worked with him so felt safe.

Grant.

(null)

+1 for what Larry said.

I also agree this is a worthwhile section of the forum. All new members should be made clearly aware that any transactions are at their own risk. That would be further mitigated if members had to be participants here for a reasonable time before they could list anything for sale.

As far as PayPal/eBay, I've had some reasonable help from them a couple of times. HOWEVER, I make it a point to use a credit card so I have the CC company behind the purchase, too.