Problem with Want To Buy - Want To Sell

Jeff Wexler

You should always be careful when buying used, and it's a good thing to establish contact by phone. I buy a lot of things on the used market (actually, I rarely buy things new), and while I've had a few bad experiences, there have been countless good ones. Of course, I usually don't deal with the amount of money that may be at risk on this forum.

In Sweden, we have an internet service that for a fee supply an account for people buying used, and there might be something similar in other parts of the world. The buyer sends the money, and the seller gets a confirmation when it's in the account. Then the package is sent, and after it have been recieved and checked by the buyer, he/she alone can give the order to forward the money from the account to the seller. If either of these steps fail or one side feel tricked, no item is sent, or the money stays in the account until the matter is solved.

A simpler, cheaper way that I've used several times with good results is to simply send half the amount first, and the rest after the item has been picked up and checked. That way both sides takes an equal amount of risk.

That is sad to hear. I have never had to use their 'protection', which is good because apparently it doesn't work. So I would say again that I think Whitney has the right idea. Check up on who you're buying from.

Actually, I've had success with buyer protection in the past on 2 laptops that had bad USB3 ports. Filed a claim and got a full refund when the seller refused upon return of the items. Paypal's fee schedule is quite ridiculous, though.

That totally sucks, Jeff. What I always do is try to handle all the transactions locally, and I give the buyer exactly the same deal I do on eBay: a 7-day unconditional money-back guarantee (if the item isn't exactly as described), and I work it out if there's any questions or issues. Buyer pays all shipping and customs fees, and there are certain countries I'm reluctant to ship to. But it's hard to make a rule that says, "everybody has to be reasonable and treat each other like human beings."

I've never in my life had a problem on either end with an audio sale, but I once had a laptop computer deal go bad. I sold an old laptop to a foreign guy in Canada, and he went ballistic with me because the internal DVD-ROM drive could not read his home-made CD-R's (!!!). He admitted that the drive read legitimate pressed CDs and DVDs with no problem, but he couldn't understand or accept my explanation that recordable discs can be flakey. Even in that case, we worked it out just with me shipping him a new $50 drive. On a $1000 laptop sale, it was worth losing $50 to calm the jerk down.

Maybe Jeff can just make some short rules: the site isn't liable for any deals, buyers are advised to pay only with PayPal, insure and track all shipments, and try to work out any disputes on the phone. Things seem to escalate in email for some people.

+1 to Larrys comment.

I am also happy that you decided to keep this section up.

I don't think it's Jeffs or Jwsounds responsibility to police/rule/limit the transactions. It's not the intention of the site, and puts a huge unneccessary burden on our admin. This is merely a discussion forum for people to connect with one another, we still need to look out for ourselves and the people we interact with.

Just my opinion.

Wandering Ear

I'd just like to add that the new-ish chap Derryck from Norlins who posted his 702 here, which I bought, is a gentleman and a scholar, as honest as the day is long, and all the other plaudits that one gives to a long-distance seller when things go flawlessly. He's delivered exactly what he said he would deliver to my associate in New York, in good time and with excellent communications. I'm very happy. He's also about to get married, so I hope he's happy too!

Regards,

John

i vote to keep the site.

if there's any doubt about a seller, it's easy enough to just ask the jwsound group if they know and can vouch for them. it's only one part of the vetting someone should do when purchasing.

i've only had good results because i've always done my homework. knock on wood.

P.

Gotta keep it, its as imprtant as the rest of the site IMO as its not just anywhere you can go to sell this kind of gear in a place where people know what it is and what its worth.

Maybe just make sure a disclaimer is agreed to before anyones first listing or when they join stating that JWSOUND assumes no resonsibility for transactions in the Classifieds section and members use it at their own risk. Also, I have always liked when forums use post counts before they allow a member into a section or to post, but then that of course wont always work either.

another thought is restricting "posting for a friend".members are accountable,

and maybe keeping the info confidential is not such a good idea, either ..??

Keep it. I agree with the senators ideas- no "posting for a friend" and each member be accountable.

Glad the section will still be around. I've made some pretty large purchases through the section like my fusion 10, and mix-8. Just use common sense. Look the person up on the web and call their contact numbers from a reliable source. Than you can prevent a scammer masquerading as a sound mixer. I highly doubt any sound mixer would rip another one off. We are pretty tightly knit community aren't we?

I've had two very positive transactions that originated on this site in the last two months. Both were known users with many posts, and I'm extremely happy with my purchases and the professionalism of the sellers.

Just know who you're dealing with.

I've had two very positive transactions that originated on this site in the last two months. Both were known users with many posts, and I'm extremely happy with my purchases and the professionalism of the sellers.

Just know who you're dealing with.

Likewise - 2 transactions in the last month, and 6 overall... All with long-time members and I'm very happy with all of them. The active members here are MUCH safer to do business with than anyone on Fleabay.

PayPal gives you NO protection as buyer. as seller it does only after the money is in your bank account ( too slow).

Use Credit card to pay for stuff and you have good protection and accept credit cards because you can show the CrCard Co. that you are honest ( can be tough when dealing with a crook at the other end).

do not do cr Card interactions internationally AT ALL !!!

there is a swiper available for the Ipone they take 2.75 % of each transaction.

its called square https://squareup.com/

i have no experience with that service. I bet there is a future in that kind of stuff, esp. when we hit serious inflation rates.

w

I've noticed that indie bands are making use of the iphone swiper and app. I think its an awesome way to do business for a struggling band, and it alleviates the worries of carrying around a bunch of cash from CD and merch sales at gigs.

I use SquareUp for my rentals - The fee isn't bad at all compared to "traditional" Telxon-based systems, because there is NO monthly just-because-we-can fee if you aren't using it. Unlike with Paypal, there also isn't a 39 cent per transaction fee PLUS the percentage, and you don't need to wait 4-5 days for an ACH transaction to be credited to your bank account.

With SquareUp, I only pay when I use it. I pass the fee along to my customers who have all been very accepting (ok, none have complained, just kinda shrugged it off) and they automatically initiate a deposit to my account each and every night that I have had any transactions that day. So I get my money in about 36 hours from the rental, with no extra steps.

The system also sends a location-tagged receipt right away to either an email address OR a text to a cellphone, and should I need them, I can generate new receipts from the website for any previous transaction.

A great system - And if you aren't having any business through it... You don't pay anything.

I'm getting ready to sell some of my gear and I would like to use this great resource, but I have never conducted a transaction before. I noticed that people post the price of the item(s), and I assume that final price and method of payment is discussed or negotiated via PM, e-mail, or even a phone call.

What is the proper procedure to follow that most of you have used to complete a successful transaction?

I feel that if I come to an agreement with an interested party in terms of price, he/she should submit payment via PayPal or check, wait until the payment clears, and I would expeditiously ship the equipment (insured, of course).

Is this fair to expect?

Thanks!