SoundDevices XL-DVDRAM works with Deva?

Fernando

Hi all,

Can someone confirm that the SoundDevices DVD-RAM drive (XL-DVDRAM) works with the Deva V please?

I just bought one based on positive reports but, guess what, it does not work for me with internal battery or external PSU, not for realtime mirroring nor for batch mirroring.

I'm in a hurry and can't find right now the messages confirming it worked...

many thanks,

fernando

I just bought one based on positive reports but, guess what, it does not work for me with internal battery or external PSU, not for realtime mirroring nor for batch mirroring.

fernando

I have hard lots of positive reports but all of these have been from Sound Devices 7 series users, not Deva users. I do not recall any Deva users stating that this external drive works with the Deva. Also, when you say "internal battery" do you mean that you are trying to use the drive as a bus-powered drive? I have heard from several people that this drive does not work reliably, even with Sound Devices, using Firewire host power (bus powered).

I will scout around and see if there is anything on this drive, either here or on r.a.m.p.s.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Thanks Jeff.

I think it does not work well using the Sony type battery of the 7 series BUT that it does work well if you use an external higher capacity battery (65 or 70 W NP1 for instance) or PSU.

I still can't find in my computer evidence of someone telling me it should work with Deva, so I feel like I smoked the wrong stuff =:) 

I had an official mod done to my Deva to limit the FireWire power supply because time ago some hard drives did not work well if you was using Li-Ion batteries (16.8V just charged)

That's why I'd like to contact people that is using this drive with the Deva: to see if they had the FW mod done and in general what's their setup, to see where is the fault.

Maybe the XL-DVDRAM does not use the same FW chipset anymore and the current one does not work well with Deva...?

I currently use a slim Digistor DVD drive, bus-powered, and I bought the XL-DVDRAM because it's much more rugged.

I've been using it successfully with bus power (and the recommended filter).

That's good to know. My information and memory are a little fuzzy on this. I may be remembering problems from people NOT using the recommended filter box withe the SD drive.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Almost positive the SD dvd burner does not work w the Deva bus power. It works well w 744t and a 12 v ext batt all bus powered as advertised as I type. FWIW I would never replace my Deva 4 w the SD744t, but as a great second system, I dig the 744t and mixer n burner. It is a real solid well built recorder.

CrewC

The SD DVDRAM burner does NOT work when the unit is powered by its onboard battery, and will not work if your external supply dips below 11 vdc either (bolluxes the disc in my experience).  The SD bus power filter is a VERY good idea, as without it you can get parasitic noises from the burner motor coming back up into the recorder.  Did you try using the burner w/ the Deva w/ its own power supply (as opposed to bus power)?  I don't think anyone anywhere ever claimed that that burner worked with anything but the SD 7xxx recorders.....

Philip Perkins

Hi all,

Can someone confirm that the SoundDevices DVD-RAM drive (XL-DVDRAM) works with the Deva V please?

I'm in a hurry and can't find right now the messages confirming it worked...

many thanks,

fernando

hey fernando,

all tests at the shop has concluded that the sd ext.burner will not work with the deva. just curious, do you not have a int. dvd drive in your deva??

That's good to know. My information and memory are a little fuzzy on this. I may be remembering problems from people NOT using the recommended filter box withe the SD drive.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

The filter box actually doesn't affect whether or not the drive functions -- the problem that the filter corrects is the noise that leaks into the chain when the disc is spinning in the drive.  My boom op on one show described it as the sound of "old-style flashbulbs popping", which I thought was quite accurate.  Nevertheless, the drive should still *function* even when plugged in without the filter -- sounds like the problem might stem from a drive power situation, as others have noted.  While the drive is not exclusive to SD recorders, it may not have been measured against the amount of FW bus power other recorders (such as the Deva) output.  If Fernando's drive is working fine on his computer, that may be the smoking gun (though I don't know whether or not he tried to power it externally or not).

nvt

Thanks to all.

It looks like it's chipset (Prolific) does not shake hands with the current Deva OS.

It may also be related with current draw.

A pitty because this burner is really rugged (btw, you can buy it somewhere else online, not only from Sound Devices, as someone noted time ago)

So it would be great if the Deva suported this drive because it's useful even as a back up for Devas with internal burner.

I'll sell it to someone in Europe that needs it.

thanks again,

Fernando