What boom configuration was used on "psycho"?

peggynames

Working now on "Hitchcock, The Making of Psycho". Soon we have stage scenes with equipment and crew filming the psycho movie. Does anyone know what type of microphone would be of that vintage? Would they have used a fisher boom or a mole Richardson boom? Also, is there a male boom operator (only because in those times there were no females) out there that knows how to use this piece of equipment proficiently that is also a member of sag? Let me know...Thanks

IMDB credits for the Sound department of Psycho:

Sound Department

William Russell .... sound recordist Waldon O. Watson .... sound recordist Robert R. Bertrand .... mike technician (uncredited) John Ruth .... cable man (uncredited) Harold Tucker .... sound recordist (uncredited)

So it appears that the boom operator was a man. Perhaps Universal pictures has some archive still showing the type of boom and the mike used.

I expect that if he doesn't talk, that he won't need to be SAG. They'll just issue him SAG vouchers like any other non-union extra. He should also make a "special skill" bump. Keith would probably be happy to join you.

And I bet Fisher has period photos of their gear in use at that time. Might even have mounts for the vintage mics.

Oh! Is this the film based on Stephen Rebello's book?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Hitchcock_and_the_Making_of_Psycho

Great book and looks like it will be a great film. Looking forward to seeing it.

Yup...that's the one...so far, it does not disappoint!

Fantastic....got the boom (fisher) and it was a man...now only need the mic and a SAG member that knows how to operate it.. :)

Well if they want an older guy, I know how to operate a fisher, ('ve even re-strung them on ocasion), and am a current member of SAG.

----Courtney

Working now on "Hitchcock, The Making of Psycho". Soon we have stage scenes with equipment and crew filming the psycho movie. Does anyone know what type of microphone would be of that vintage? Would they have used a fisher boom or a mole Richardson boom? Also, is there a male boom operator (only because in those times there were no females) out there that knows how to use this piece of equipment proficiently that is also a member of sag? Let me know...Thanks

After all the research we did, the prop an told that they couldn't afford the real deal so they got this...!

post-264-133676027771.jpg

Nobody will be operating this now because of budget cuts...:-(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 2 weeks later...