SD 442

David Settlemoir

Hey everybody,

Just recently bought a new SD 442 from Trew Audio and boy what a great mixer (been using Shure 32/33s, Cooper 104, and the ocassional PSC Alphamix.)  I've already used the 442 on two corporate shoots, a CNBC live shot at Tyson Foods, and had a Jeff Greenfield piece with presidential candidate Mike Huckabee on the CBS Evening News tonight.  I wish I would have bought one a long time ago.  Now I just need some more wireless units!  Trew also got it to me very quick which was VERY helpful.

I usually just lurk here and on Ramps but I've learned a lot and really appreciate the forum Jeff.  Thanks!

David Settlemoir 

• 2 weeks later...

I like the meters on the 442 which is what first attracted me to the unit.  I can see them across the room.  The Cooper I used was set-up for film work (at least that is what I was told) so there wasn't hardly any meter deflection.  I have trouble seeing the meters on a shure 32/33 (just had to get bifocals anyway) and the meter light never seems to stay on long enough.  The variable low cut/high pass on the 442 has probably impressed me most since I bought it.  I always thought the switch on the shure just cut/sounded too drastic.  PFL is nice for setting gain, and the limiters seem to be letting me get more signal into DV/HDV cameras without worrying about distortion.  Headphone amp is nice and dropping tone -20 db(?) in the cans is really nice.  Last but not least I think it makes all my mics sound better.

The only issue I am having with the unit is getting enough level in the headphones on the B return.  Even with the monitor pot on the camera all the way up it is still really low compared to the stereo monitor.  I don't have a multipin beta snake yet so I am still using the standard remote audio snake I bought for the 32.

The only feature the 442 doesn't have that I could have used is automix.  We were doing a satellite media tour from the Clinton Library (double-wide) Monday and they added another guest at the last minute and then came to us early with the hit.  I was on the other side of the room after micing/ifb'ing guests and only had one mic open so I had to crawl across the room to get to the mixer.  At least the first guest was a pro and just ignored my lizard crawl under the camera.

David