Red Epic/Scarlet sync port interface

"Still not something we should buy."

Maybe not. But the camera dept. forgot to bring theirs on a job recently, and for $135, I could have been a hero.

Not to mention the rental.

Last Job I went to and they were suppose to provide cables when they didn't I was still the hero as I fed nothing to the camera and used my smart slate

Last Job I went to and they were suppose to provide cables when they didn't I was still the hero as I fed nothing to the camera and used my smart slate

My last Red Epic jobs they insisted that they have the cables. As expected their cables did not work . So I used mine. I even gave cables to the second crew.Was not paid for the cables.

Red shoots already have a lot of Audio Rental . I was fighting for a Denecke slate rental last time.

I have done single-camera Red Epic jobs where we just fed only timecode in and jammed the camera a few times a day, and it was fine. I agree, genlock sync is necessary for 3D jobs or multiple-camera projects, or else timecode phase could be issue (a picture frame rolling over to the next timecode number).

It's maddening that Red did not use standardized Lemo connectors for timecode and BNC connectors for sync, but instead went with something new that they made up. (Different from the earlier Red One, different from Alexa, different from Sony, etc.) I concede that their reason for doing this was to keep the size of the camera small and to save real estate on the unit, so it was done for a reason.

You need genlock and TC if the absolute sync between audio TC and the camera (or multiple RED cameras to each other) over several hours is important to someone. Very often these days it is NOT important, since the sound syncing is done audio-to-audio and the TC is merely a ball park TOD reference.

phil p

I concede that their reason for doing this was to keep the size of the camera small and to save real estate on the unit, so it was done for a reason.

That's their reasoning as I understand it, but to use the camera, it needs a whole bunch of extra interconnect boxes hanging off it which makes it larger and more bulky than had they designed it right in the first place.

Epic: The camera that makes a hair dryer sound subtle.

On my last Epic shoot, we went without a camera jam the first half of the day as the special 4-pin Lemo jam cable I'd made wouldn't fit into the socket (being a non-standard connector, I had nothing to test it with in advance). As I had time to mess with it after lunch break, I carefully adjusted the connector's pins with a jewlers screwdriver until I got it to fit. Then, I hung one of my trusty Denecke boxes off the camera.

Unlike a Red One, the Epic does not use the chain link to show a time code lock. Instead there are letters at the bottom of the screen that indicate as follows:

TC

• TC Gray - No analog time code is currently detected.

• TC Red - Analog time code is being detected, but the use of it is not enabled.

• TC Green - Analog time code is being used to jam the time of day time code. TC will revert to gray if the signal is no longer detected.