New Van

My old mini-van has 195k on it and let me down the last time I had to leave town, so I got this one. Rent A Center turns its vans every 3 years. They are custom built by Superior Industries, the guys that make BIG trucks. The have a custom solid bulkhead and 2 rows of E-track with carpet on 3 sides. They were all over the country a few months ago after auction, and I found this 2009 on Ebay for a good price. It only had 27k miles on it. I got a shelf off my last show for free, put security screens on the windows, and bought a ramp. It's not as cool as the cube Phil Palmer used to have, but I don't own that much stuff. Here's the before and after.

post-224-0-32204900-1336937427.jpg

post-224-0-66289600-1336937489.jpg

post-224-0-90842600-1336937526.jpg

post-224-0-71878300-1336937574.jpg

post-224-0-08710900-1336937628.jpg

post-224-0-04576800-1336937671.jpg

post-224-0-54877000-1336937739.jpg

post-224-0-36290600-1336937798.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Search Auto Trader and Ebay for 2009 Express cargo van. Texas Direct Auto in Houston is the largest Ebay seller. I just wanted this van because of the type of bulkhead and track. Those will cost a lot if you do it right, and you can't find this type of bulkhead at all, only the steel ones. There are still a few left all over the country. They were asking 15480.00 for buy it now, then gave me the minimum bid of 14980.00 when I called them. I made them give me a spare tire, spare tire hoist, and jack that is not on these fleet vans. Those cost them about $500.00. Of course, I saw several cheaper ones with higher miles, up to 63K.

D

For those of you in the know is there a preference for the type of bulkhead and why. I see yours is solid steel, I have a buddy who's van is a steal mesh with a lockable door on heavy duty hinges. I would assume that yours makes a break in through the cab less likely but it is also harder to turn around and check your load if you hear something go thunk after a pothole.

PS. nice ride

I've also got a 2009 Chevy Express van for location projects, and it's been a workhorse. Actually very smooth and quiet to drive, for a truck (quieter than my Prius at highway speeds!). I added a Kenwood GPS with a backup camera, and both have saved my life on a few occasions.

Darrel - those gear cases i can see in your photos - are they still made and available somewhere?

The gray ones are Thermodyne. They used to be the standard for ENG cameras, and offer different sizes than Pelican. They can be found on the web. They just lost market share after Pelican came out.

D

Nice van Darrell! Well done, as always. I like how you rigged it up. Very similar to my old van rig.

I loved my truck, sad I had to let it go. A trailer is in my future after my current gig. The one they have for me is perfect...if I could just keep it!

PWP

+1 on the Ford Transit Connect. Spoke to a Ford dealer recently and he said in 2013 Ford is supposed to add medium and large size vans to the Ford Transit line-up. The current model will be kept intact as the small version. Hoping my current van with 250k makes it until then.

Hi Darrel,

I was just wondering what the make & model # of that ramp is -- and load capacity. I have a pretty nice folding aluminum ramp, but it's showing signs of fatigue. I've been looking for a viable replacement. Nice set-up, BTW -- similar to how I get around (sans bulkhead.)

~tt

The ramp is an 8 ft trifold by EZ Access with the extensions to work on a van. The limit is 800 but with the extensions it drops to 500lb. You can shop online.

The ramp is an 8 ft trifold by EZ Access with the extensions to work on a van. The limit is 800 but with the extensions it drops to 500lb. You can shop online.

Thanks Darrell, (and sorry about misspelling your name earlier)...

I guess the ramp I'm currently using is rated for 1200#'s. I bought it for $75 at Harbor Freight (they now charge almost twice that amount for it... should have bought 2 or 3 of 'em...

~tt

What do you mean you don't own that much stuff??? Compared to my three Pelican 1610 and one Storm roll-on?!? My latest gear vehicle is a Prius which holds all nicely, and has made me way more than my payment in mileage reimbursement:)

Hope you're busy....

cleve

+1 on the Ford Transit Connect. Spoke to a Ford dealer recently and he said in 2013 Ford is supposed to add medium and large size vans to the Ford Transit line-up. The current model will be kept intact as the small version. Hoping my current van with 250k makes it until then.

Doug, I had the good fortune of working the Ford Fleet show here in Detroit last week. They unveiled both new vans for 2013. They are nice!. Unfortunately, due to confidentiality, I can send you and pics though. :-X I'd say it's worth the wait if you are interested in the transit connect.

can somebody summarize the main differences between the econo line we all know and the transit connect vans, Is it fuel economy is it shape, more headroom, more width or cu footage. I get why ford is making a change to bring its American vans in line with what it produces for the rest of the world. But I am in the dark as to what to expect or not. And yes I know that until they unveil the line officially nothing is set in stone.