Handheld Mic Advice

Rachel Cameron

Hi Guys,

I'm faced with a situation where I need to purchase a hand held mic for say, audience responses. I'm recording a live presentation to the four tracks on my 744T: a 416, two 411/SMa sets, and I've little idea as to a decent suggestion for the audience mic. It is to be held like a 'reporter mic', and framed into the shot...

I've searched threads here, and come up with nothing. Could you offer any advice?

Rachel

I have an Electro-Voice 635, aka The Hammer. If I ever manage to break it, I'll probably buy a RE50. But I also have used and like the Sennheiser MD46 cardioid and think the pattern might be good for you application. (haven't used the Beyer M58, but see them around). One thing to consider, since the mic will be in frame: I think the MD46 and MD42 look better than the two Electro-Voice mics (the M58 looks OK, too).

There is/was a pair of MD46 mics for sale here a month or so ago...If you can, try before you buy.

I have an Electro-Voice 635, aka The Hammer. If I ever manage to break it, I'll probably buy a RE50. But I also have used and like the Sennheiser MD46 cardioid and think the pattern might be good for you application. (haven't used the Beyer M58, but see them around). One thing to consider, since the mic will be in frame: I think the MD46 and MD42 look better than the two Electro-Voice mics (the M58 looks OK, too). There is/was a pair of MD46 mics for sale here a month or so ago...If you can, try before you buy.

My understanding is that the EV-635 and RE-50 are actually the same mic with the RE-50 having more isolation against handling noise which is why the handle is thicker (I have heard noise on the 635s as I recall). They are both incredibly rugged and when I was working local news camera years ago I was indeed issued a couple that looked as if they had been used to pound nails and still produced clean sound. Though it is a bit embarrassing if you have to ask somebody to talk into a microphone where the metal windshield is caved in from lord knows what, because your station is too cheap to replace it.

For my money though it is either the MD-46 or RE-50 with slight preference to the RE-50 as I believe that I have never heard handling noise on any of my 50s.

Rick brings up a good point in that if you are buying test for regular use a set type situation you probably want a model with the transmitter built in as opposed to something with a plug on. Though you could get away with a plug on for occasional use and they are pretty standard in ENG situations.

" the EV-635 and RE-50 are actually the same mic "

The RE-50 is, virtually, a 635 placed inside a padded shell with additional wind filer on top...

The N-dym versions as well. The idea of the RE-50 is reduced handling noise by "talent". The Senn MD-46 was designed by Senn for NBC (originally for Olympics, followed by news/sports deployment) as cardioid mic offering similar handling and wind protections. The omni versions are better suited when correct mic pointing and cueing (aka use by "talent") may be in doubt... The cardioids are better for minimizing off axis sound..

Rick brings up a good point in that if you are buying test for regular use a set type situation you probably want a model with the transmitter built in as opposed to something with a plug on. Though you could get away with a plug on for occasional use and they are pretty standard in ENG situations.

Depending on your types of jobs, a plug-on can also be used for wireless boom, wireless plant mic etc.

Using MD46. As mentioned, good if your talent knows what to do with a mic. Lots of sports on camera work here, so usually the talent handles a mic well. Having the option to hard wire is a must! For live shots, networks request we hard wire only. I am totally loving the HM400 handheld plug that can phantom power. I keep it in my bag to wireless my boom on ENG stuff. It's very nice to be able to set the boom down and grab it up at will, or eliminate an extra wire in cramped interview rooms.

I would note that the plug on cube is a must for that mater I own 4 of them. But from what the op said It seemed like he was buying for a studio where it was going to be passed around jerry springer style. If that is the case I think they usually want an integrated design. If however I was wrong go with what everybody else is saying and cube it, or better if you are live wire it. and keep RF hits entirely out of the equation along with reporters who walk away with microphones between hits.

I needed a mic for a low budget,quick man on the street shoot a little while back. I borrowed my brother's shure 58 mic.

I put my Lectro Plug onto it. It was okay.

After that gig, I decided I would go ahead and get a handheld,in case I ever needed it for something like that.

I knew the popular EV RE-50B. It is solid and sounds good. I thought about buying a used one if it was decent looking.

I Eventually decided on a new Beyer Dynamic M58 omni (40-20k) It is a nice charcoal grey color. The Handle is longer (260 mm total) than the re-50 and has a nice feel. Im not so crazy about how the supplied foam windscreen looks on it though.

It is a little more $ than re-50.(about $225)

I have not used it for much other than a slate mic since I got it, I have not A/B it with re-50 in the field, so I can not really differentiate,

but Im very happy to have the Beyer.

M-58 has a longer handle (for interviews this = reach!), and a wider, flatter frequency response, though for its intended use (voices-talking) the RE-50 has a great response.

For wireless pass along in studios the handheld wireless TX's are often preferred, Shure and Sennheiser are popular, Lectro's new HH is an excellent new player in this arena. There are various heads available including some omni heads, if PA is not an issue.

Lectro's new HH is an excellent new player in this arena. There are various heads available including some omni heads, if PA is not an issue.

IMHO HH is waist of money for production sound. HM and a mic is a better solution.

HM can be used with booms,stick mics and I very often use it to tap from media boxes.