Yamaha O1V96 questions

Darryl Linkow, C.A.S.

I am considering buying a Yamaha 01V96 and have a couple of questions about it.

1. Is anyone here using the 01V96 with Boom Recorder and if so, are you using the internal Yamaha mLAN internal Firewire interface card?

2.  Rumor has it that someone is doing a conversion that allows you to run the 01V96 from external 12 VDC batteries?  If so, do you know who is doing this mod and how much does it cost?

I've been using both the 01V96 and boom recorder for a while now, albeit without an inverter. I love the flexibility and power you have over each individual channel, as well as very flexible routing. Since the board is digital, using these functions is sometimes more labor intensive than hitting a switch or button on an analog board, but the precision and control you gain, plus the ability to save many of the settings as a scene file to be recalled at the touch of a button are priceless. The EQ could use some work, and the preamps are about as good as you can expect for a board that is less than $200 per channel, but I will say this, I've been using the Mlan card and boom recorder since 05 and haven't had a catastrophic failure once. The glitches I have witnessed were one time momentary things, and usually partially due to operator error. It's a powerful combination to be sure.

Tom

PS any recommendations on what a "good inverter" is?

• 3 weeks later...

The DC mods I know about were done by Forrest @ Alternative Audio (I had a Mackie done--he did a great job), and he does 01V96s too which are well thought-of.  I think someone here said that Forrest now works for Coffey Sound--maybe try them first.  The ph # I have for Alternative Audio is 818-563-6543.  The mod is expensive, but retains the ability to run on AC.

Philip Perkins

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't ask Forrest if he was still doing any of those mods. I got the feeling that he has had to give up all of that "outside" work now that he has a full time position at Coffey Sound. I can't imagine he would even have the time. It might be nice if he made his schematics available to someone else who does have the time to do these things.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

I was in the Alternative Audio shop when he his first O1V96 on the bench for the mod.  He was having a very tough time, since there were separate supplies for various part of the board which needed to be fed independently.  I don't know how many he did after that, but it was an expensive mod from what he told me.  His mods are quite successful.  He modified my 1402VLZ for DC as well as external mic to separate switches routed to aux1 and aux 2 to allow talking to either Comtek feed of the track, and one switch routing to the master for a slate mic.

Now he is at Coffey, I understand his overwhelming workload prohibits him from doing these mods.  I wanted him to make an adjustment to my mod, and he said he was weeks behind!  And the last time I spoke to him, he has decided not to do the Mackie mods any more.  Not sure why.

Just remember, the O1V96 has extraordinary power requirements.  90 Watts at 120v is 900w at 12vDC, which is almost 10amps.  Not sure what the real world or continuous power consumption is (anyone?), but a 60amp marine battery wouldn't run it for a day with those numbers.  I'm thinking a quality UPS for kickouts is probably lighter and more cost effective.

I'd be curious to know from any engineers out there if AC mixers are generally rated for maximum consumption or average consumption, and do they use less power when certain features are turned off.

Rather than have a mod for 12vDC for my Yamaha 01V96, I am using the Xantrex 1000 watt sine wave inverter pwered from my 79amp hr AGM marine battery. I also run my mac-mini and a Lacie mini hard drive as well as the Alesis AD13 A/D Optical Interface and if needed my Pro-Tools Digi 002 rack. Oh and also my Cambridge Soundworks sub-woofer/amp with satellite speakers for headphone relief and music listening enjoyment. All this AC powered equipment draws about 10 amps total.

The marine battery is about 3.5 years old, still running solidly, but I am about to replace it as I sense it is nearing the end of it's re-charge capabilities. The whole system has worked solidly since 2004.

Regards,

Richard

Just remember, the O1V96 has extraordinary power requirements.  90 Watts at 120v is 900w at 12vDC, which is almost 10amps.  Not sure what the real world or continuous power consumption is (anyone?), but a 60amp marine battery wouldn't run it for a day with those numbers.  I'm thinking a quality UPS for kickouts is probably lighter and more cost effective.

The power requirements stay the same in-depended of the voltage, the current goes up, so with formula P = U * I):

90 W = 120 V * 0.75A

90 W = 12 V * 7.5A

Yes, I am an electrical engineer.

Cheers,

Take

FYI, My *entire* cart draws just under 9 amps at 12v including the inverter that runs the 01V96.