new boom pole advice

greg sextro

I am in the market for a new boom pole (something in the 12 to 16 foot range) and was wondering if anyone has any brand favorites?  I own and have rented k tek a lot, but having read that some users are buying the new Loon Boom poles, I guess I thought I'd ask.  I've sort of played around with the major brands while in the store, but I would guess that the best advice will come from those who have put in some real time with different poles.

Most likely I will want something that is carbon fiber with an internal coiled cable.

Thoughts?

You can't go wrong with anything from K-Tek --- the poles are terrific and the service and support is second to none. I have tried all the others that are currently available and nothing even comes close with the exception of the Loon Pole which is a real contender. If I were in the market for another new pole I would probably buy a Loon so that I could have both the K-Tek and a Loon. The Loon does have a lot of very interesting features and design, things we have not seen before, and it could be an alternative to the K-Tek. Loon has not been around long enough for anyone to get a feel for their support after purchase. K-Tek, as reported here and on r.a.m.p.s., has always done the right thing by its customers (when you buy the pole you can be assured that you wil be able to use it for years and years and if it needs anything to keep it going, K-Tek will service it, quickly, efficiently and often, it seems, without charge!).

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

K-TEK for sure.

the customer service is by far the best. and the poles are fantastic. manfred had many a opportunities to do what alot of the other manufactorers have done with the "unilatteral pricicng" and he could sale on line as others, but he felt the customer would "lose" in the end. he reeeally cares about the enduser (you) and with that said K-TEK is the best choice for the best boom pole on the market. (no, I do not own any company stock, wish I did though) nor is there any sales commision or any kind of dealer incentive. just in love with the company and what he stands for.

Frank

Coffey sound Rentals

Ive got both (Ktek 12'8, Loon 8') and like them both.  I'm still trying to decide if I like wing on the Loon.  Convenience vs added weight.  At the moment it seems that if you want to use a internal coil you have to use the wing.  It would be nice to see a bottom exit option that still provided protection for the xlr.

I know Loon has since changed there no dealer policy, but thanks for getting those demos a few months ago Frank. 

I have been using an 8 and an 18 foot Loon Boom for the past few months and have been very pleased with them both. I have not had any wireless boom needs yet so no use for the wing, so I have been running my (new model) Neutric RA connector straight into the base, the wing was catching leads like a big hook.

Great communication from Loon when I was buying, no small matter when enquiring from down here in Australia.

I still love my Ambient quickpole, it just feels so sturdy!

Cheers

Pat Slater

Melbourne Australia

pat,

we have the ambient poles in rental as well, they are very sturdy.

a little on the heavy side?

the wing always bothered me, I know a lot of people liked the idea (especially at NAB 07') there thought is, mixers now do wireless booms. so they took it from there with the wing. the draw back was that you could only use a plug on tx, most of the sound mixers or boom ops I know would rather use a bodypack (stronger power output) with a 48v p.s. and taf5-xlr mic level (hop) cable.

Looking at the specs of both the Loon and the QL Ambient poles, they are very similar (length/weight)

...assuming both are right, obviously ...

The Ambient QP series are more rigid and heavier.

The Van Der Bergh poles are the lightest, but less rigid.

The first section is sort of laquered (wich I find might be OK using gloves, but otherwise I'm not a fan of it)

I use VdB for the shorter poles for a superlight docu boom, but I have an old type VdB without the laquer (wich I like much more)

Speaking of the finishing, I like the new Ambient QX poles (the finishing and all)

It looks similar to the Loon in this respect (visually; I never touched a Loon)

The Ambient QX 5100 (100~420cm) seems to be a good compromise. I'm very happy with it.

I also like the traditional Ambient finish of the first section. I have a QL 5150 (153~640cm/990gr).

The boom ops I work with like to use it (too long if I work alone!)

And still use the internal coil?  ...im off to experiment

Re: Loon, the internal coil XLRM can be well fixed in the base with 3 set screws once the wing is removed. An earlier post mentions the [NEW] Neutrik RA XLR will then allow plugging directly into the base. A [standard] Neutrik RA XLR can not plug in; the base slot is just a couple millimeters too narrow. I'm not familiar with the new Neutrik, but I recently discussed this option of wing vs. straight plug-in with Clay Bradley at Loon and it is an open dialog.

Loon's communication and support is excellent as is K-Tek's. IMHO, one can't go wrong either way. I also have a 17' PSC, which I like too.

EB