CCM41 roll off

LC21

Has anyone EVER used a CCM41 withOUT rolling the bass off? If no, how much did you have to cut out?

Mic is at its 3rd week of usage from purchase and the need for an LP just came now, it got so sensitive all of a sudden.

L

I do not think your schoeps mic all of a sudden decided to have a sensitivity change unless you were going from an extreme change in temp/humidity/altitude very quickly.

the voice level being projected and the space in which it is being projected usually dictates the amount of roll off needed.

Take into consideration signal to noise ratio and proximity effect.Wind noise, traffic noise, air conditioning noise, etc.

I usually set my roll off to 80 hz or more on the 788 with a cmc6mk41, on a good shockmount, for interiors.

Post can roll off more if needed in most circumstances.

Some shotgun mics have built in filter switch, and the schoeps cmc has an optional cut-1 (with 3 selectable cut ranges) for cutting the low freqs before it reaches the mic pre.

Rolling off at the mic Is generally better because the low freqs are taken out before it enters the mic pre stage.Which, of course creates a better sonic quality overall.

MTM

I used my MK41 without a Cut 1 filter for years, rolling off at the 442. A few years back I invested in the Cut 1. It enables the mic to send a clean, undistorted signal to the mixer. Now, I ALWAYS use the Cut 1 with the MK41, even when the mic's on a stand. It greatly cuts down on proximity effect when using capsules with tight patterns (MK41), and amps the signal a few dB.

Just to clarify, the Schoeps CUT 1 is two different devices in one. The first is a steep 4th order high-pass filter (24dB/octave) at 70Hz. The second is a gentle (6dB/octave IIRC) continuously-variable low frequency roll-off.

The steep cutoff filter is always active and is generally the best use of the CUT 1. The roll-off can be dialed in as needed, but is something I'd rather do at the mixer.

For music recording, I wouldn't use a CUT 1. For dialog, the steep slope of the filter gets rid of potential problems with lower frequencies that are below what's useful for dialog.

On feature films with controlled circumstances and a good boom op(s), I may choose not to use the CUT 1(s). For commercials and run-n-gun, I find them really helpful.