Zaxcom Mix-12 Faders issue

MT Groove

I recently purchased a used (1 month old) Mix-12 from Pro-Sound Services. The faders were OK at the time. They were slightly gritty but was usable. I used it for a few days indoors w/o issue. However, after 2 days outdoors in a slightly dusty environment, the Faders became virtually useless. They became rough and made it difficlut to mix. By the end the day, I started using the onboard knob faders on the Fusion itself. I called Zaxcom tech support and Brijen told me I can spray some compressed air to try to clean it out. It didn't work. I then found out that these newer Mix-12 does not use the P&G faders, thus the P&G fader cleaning proceedure does not apply here. I sent to unit back to the mothership and the Faders were replaced under warranty. (Thank you Zaxcom!)

I used the Mix-12 indoors for the last couple weeks indoors with no issue. However, after 1 day outdoors in a slightly dusty environment, I am staring experience rough/gritty faders again. Although at this point it is still usable, I feel it's only a matter of a few more days out in the field before the faders become unusable again.

Is there a way to do regular cleaning/maintenance on these faders? Brijen at Zax mentioned that unlike the P&G faders, these faders are not really user serviceable. I will not be using the Mix-12 in the desert or anything. It will just be in the normal field conditions where some dust is unavoidable. Any advice would be appreciated.

Just replaced all 17 faders on my Yamaha O1v96v2, cost $700. My guess is that your faders are a lot like mine (minus the automated part). I asked for the old faders and took them apart when I got home. Instead of riding on a rail, the fader slider has copper "feeler" thingys that lightly touch a board which it slides across. It has a light coating of grease on it. When grit and dirt get in to the board it clings to the grease so that now you have an abrasive mixture that eats away at the board as you slide your pot. Soon it wears a groove and contact is broken.

Don't know what to tell you but to minimize exposure to dirty environments. My next purchase will be a PSC solace board.

I believe the pertinent information is: " these faders are not really user serviceable. "

which is probably why they were replaced rather than "serviced"

There is good reason why real P+G sliders (pricey) are preferred...

CIAG, the Cramolin folks make a fader cleaner (Blue) you might try spritzing some in after the compressed air cleaning...YMMV

Yes I will try to avoid harsh environment but this unit is designed to be used in the field, not a studio. Like I mentioned, this unit has been outdoors 1 day after new faders were installed. Needless to say, I am very disappointed.

From what I know, the older Mix-12 did use the P&G faders. Why and when this was switched, I'm not sure.

Yes Senator, P&G faders are pricey, but so was the Mix-12 considering it is just a controller and not a real mixer. I will try to locate some of that fader cleaner you mentioned. Thanks for the info.

IF you have P&G, it says so on the fader handles. My Mix-12 has these, but they get gritty anyway. They're fairly easy to disassemble and clean, but it is a PITA. I just bought some semi-official fader lube and that seems to help make them work like new. Before, a cleaning only gave a few weeks of good service.

Not sure about the "grittyness" but if you contact P&G, there is a service rep in the states who can sell you some solution (graphite based I believe) that will work better than anything. The de-oxit stuff will cause your faders to work fine for a while, and then start to get gummy again, whether you are using the faders or not.

1694 Calle Zocalo, Thousand Oaks, CA, 91360, United States

Tel: +1 805 529 2496

Fax: (same) call before faxing

Email: dale@manquen.net

Brijen from Zaxcom mentioned that these new faders on the newer Mic-12 are conductive plastic based. Will Dale's cleaning solution work?

The P&G contact surfaces were also conductive plastic. The 'grittiness' and sticky issue is associated with the metal guide rods and the sleeves on the moving part. Those are what I've successfully cleaned and used the lubricant on.

Bourns may not be a "cheapo" brand, but these faders can be bought in bulk for $5-$11 a piece. ;) When I bought a mix-12, it was mainly for the 12 faders. The rest of the features are added luxury. If the faders feels rough after 1-2 days in the field, it's frustrating. Like I said, this was under normal outdoor conditions. Not a single camera had issue with the dust.

Senator, I happen to find that Deoxit F5 at the local Guitar Center. They are distributed by Hosa and is around $10 a can. I didn't realize it was the same stuff you were talking about.

I tried it on 1 fader. Didn't seem to work. Will try the P&G silicone oil next.

• 3 years later...