Mixer & Field Recorders

gregkraus

I am going to be purchasing a Mixer & HD recorder and I want to get some feedback on which recorder and mixer people are using and would recommend.  I am not looking for the cheapest equipment, I want the best gear available at any price. I will primarily be mixing on a cart for film projects but would like the option to be mobile. All suggestions are welcome.  Thanks!

Greg

If you need 4 channels a Sound devices 442 mixer and 744t 4 channel hard disk recorder are best for both bag and cart. This option is about $7000.00

If you need to spend less than 2500 this is what I have Sound devices 302 3 channel mixer $1300.00 and a tascam Hd p2 2 channel hard disk recorder $800.00 or so. Plus some NP1 and a BDS system your ready to rock

If you can wait the Sonosax SX-62R may be worth looking at.

http://www.sonosax.com/index2.html

Speaking of waiting, I just had a conversation with Moe Chamberlain who is thinking of getting a 744T to use along with his Deva. The Sonosax could be a good alternative but neither of us has any idea when it will be a shipping product. Anyone speculating on this?

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Hey Greg, A Cooper and Deva is a combo thats hard to beat for quality and performance. As I type in the mojave it's 100 plus in the shade and my 20 yr. old Cooper and Deva 4 work like champs. I wish I worked as well as they do. I have also done many days in the snow and wet with no problems. I also run a SD744t as a backup or for run n gun, or fx. Lately I have shot film n HD at the same time and needed two recorders w different time-codes. I also have Boom Recorder on my mac laptop and I really dig that rock solid software. As for the Sonosax, I'm sure it's great, I'm just not sure when it's coming our way. I also like the Mix-12 from Zaxcom and think I may buy one. My 2 cents.

CrewC

I totally love my Cooper 208 - low draw, super clean and transparent... spendy, but my theory is to buy well and buy once.  I can't say enough good things about this mixer.  When I go portable, the Cooper 104 is a great machine, but I've found that the routing capabilities, weight and price of the SD 442 makes it a worthy asset to any mixer's kit.  I use the 442 in the bag with a 702T (also used on the cart) and have no complaints.

As far as recorders go, again the SD stuff is great -- about the most intuitively designed stuff you'll find out there -- if you're wanting more ISO's, take a look at Metacorder (Mac-based).  If you think you might be needing to multitrack in remote and rugged locations / harsh conditions, I'd look at the Cantar.  The learning curve is a little steeper than some machines, but if you're a halfway decent Sound Engineer, chances are you can handle it.

I've got some pics of my rig on this forum ("latest incarnation") and on my website as well -- you don't wanna know the pricetag though  : )

...my $.02

--tt

What do you guys think of the Alesis Multimix 16 using the Boom Recorder software for independent/Budget work?

There is one inherent design flaw in all the Alesis mixers (Firewire capable) that could be a deal breaker --- it was for me but I still own my Multimix 16 and use it for other stuff). The Firewire interface does carry over all 16 inputs and the 2-channel mix output and it returns from the computer to the mixer a monitor signal. This is all good. What is NOT good, for the way most of us have been doing multitrack, is that the individual input channels cannot be sent to the computer PRE-fader --- they are always subject to (POST) the channel fader (which is, of course, making the mix to the output bus. So, you cannot record individual iso pre-fader tracks and a mix, unless you are willing to have the mix not be "mixed" --- everything will be recorded subject to the channel strip faders and the output faders.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

For more than 4 channels over the shoulder, either a Cantar or Deva would be great. A lot of over the shoulder stuff that is more than 4 channels seems to be done with Cantar, at least from the people I've spoken with. I don't particularly care for the interface, but then again, everyone that owns it loves it. I've never actually used it over the shoulder, just in a cart situation, and in that situation I preferred the Deva.

Your best bet is to talk to your local dealer and they can give you tons of info on gear and cost.