Linking a 744T to a 722

Marco Lopez

Hi guys,

I'm preparing for a scene, in which, I'll need 6 tracks(iso's). So, I was thinking of linking my 744 with a 702 (that I'll rent). Linking two recorders is something that I've never did before, so I'm asking for your patience and help. I know that you can do that through the C-Link conection, which carries world clock, TC and RS-232 data.

My question is, should I also use the timecode multpin connection in order to assure that both machines are running and maintaing the same speed, or is it just safe using the C.Link connection?

Thanks in advance,

Marco

You won't need the timecode cable, the C.link passes timecode to the slave device, in addition to the record start / stop signals. What it doesn't pass are the file names, so you will need to manually set that up for the scene names / take numbers to have them in line with each other.

It is a pretty nice system, once you get it going.

The C.Link cable will also sync the timecode between your two recorders. Assuming you use the 744t as the master and the 702t as the slave you will set the TC settings on the 744t to whatever you want (freerun, time of day, frame rate, etc) and set the 702t with the same settings...except under the timecode mode menu the 702t will be in slave mode. I forget offhand exactly what the menu setting is but it is fairly obvious.

When you hit Record/Stop on the 744t it will put the 702t into Rec/Stop as well. Timecode is accurate and the files all start and stop at the same time. Be sure to have the Pre-roll set the same on the two machines.

You will have to come uo with a file naming scheme and track names that make sense for your project. Both machines will generate a file called NAME_TAKE_TRACK#.WAV.

You could end up with two channel 1 files potentially named the same thing and that will not be fun when it comes to teansferring them to the computer. I used to just put "A" as the primary recorder scene name and "B" as the secondary scene name and let the take numbers ascend. Be sure to keep accurate field notes and give an audible slate across all tracks.

Production Sound Mixing for TV, Film, and Commercials.

www.matthewfreed.com

I could never make my two 744's start and stop together because I was using 24 hour free run. The problem is that you can set the second machine to auto start and stop when the time code changes, but if you are on 24 hour free run the code keeps moving and the trigger won't work. The time code will travel down the C link as described, but if anyone knows how to make two 744's start and stop I would like to know. I could be wrong as well...

I might be facing a similar problem when I return to the states. Indie shoot on two 702t's with a mixer handling each one separately. (myself and a friend). We are shooting on the epic so do I make my 702t the master and jam sync time code to the other recorder and the camera? I realize the start/stop times will be different but as long as timecode is the same and the slate is audible on all devices then we should be okay right? What timecode settings do I keep the sound devices on?

Thanks

I could never make my two 744's start and stop together because I was using 24 hour free run. The problem is that you can set the second machine to auto start and stop when the time code changes, but if you are on 24 hour free run the code keeps moving and the trigger won't work. The time code will travel down the C link as described, but if anyone knows how to make two 744's start and stop I would like to know. I could be wrong as well...

C.Link will work just fine with Free Run code. Sounds like you have the second machine set for ExtTC - Auto Record. It should be set for simple ExtTC.

I might be facing a similar problem when I return to the states. Indie shoot on two 702t's with a mixer handling each one separately. (myself and a friend). We are shooting on the epic so do I make my 702t the master and jam sync time code to the other recorder and the camera? I realize the start/stop times will be different but as long as timecode is the same and the slate is audible on all devices then we should be okay right? What timecode settings do I keep the sound devices on?

Yes, make one recorder the Master for timecode and jam all devices to it.

The master recorder can be on 24Hr Run or Free Run. All other devices should be Free Run with matching (or compatible) TC frame rates.

C.Link will work just fine with Free Run code. Sounds like you have the second machine set for ExtTC - Auto Record. It should be set for simple ExtTC.

I couldn't have the second machine set to ExtTC - Auto record because it IS the change in Time Code that triggers the second machine to start and stop. I was under the impression that the changing time code is the only trigger that makes the second machine Start and Stop. If I was using Start/stop code then it would not be a problem, but I was jamming multiple cameras as well, so I had to use 24hour free run. I even seem to remember asking Sound Devices how you get the second machine to start and stop and they said that it does not work as the C link does not send another start and stop trigger besides the advancing or stopping time code. Can you tell me what is the means to stop and start the second machine, if it not advancing or stopping Time Code?

I couldn't have the second machine set to ExtTC - Auto record because it IS the change in Time Code that triggers the second machine to start and stop. I was under the impression that the changing time code is the only trigger that makes the second machine Start and Stop. If I was using Start/stop code then it would not be a problem, but I was jamming multiple cameras as well, so I had to use 24hour free run. I even seem to remember asking Sound Devices how you get the second machine to start and stop and they said that it does not work as the C link does not send another start and stop trigger besides the advancing or stopping time code. Can you tell me what is the means to stop and start the second machine, if it not advancing or stopping Time Code?

Yes. The C.Link carries machine control commands as well as timecode and word clock.

Pressing record on the master machine rolls the secondary machine.

Info on C.Link starts on Page 21 of the current 2.66 manual.