29.97 or 23.976

Arnold F.

Starting on yet another HVX-200 shoot, HD, 24P to P2 cards, recording sound both to my 702T and to camera and the editor has asked that I record timecode at the frame rate of 23.976.  With this camera I have always used 29.97 because I have understood it to use that frame rate even when shooting 24P, but I did see an old post on RAMPS yesterday stating that under these circumstances it records at 23.976.  Which is right?

Arnold

Typically, most editing systems can handle the 23.976.  But ALL systems will handle 29.97.  And I'm not entirely sure the HVX-200 at 24P is really 23.976 like a professional HD camera.  29.97 will for sure be safe either way, and that's what I'd do.  I was on a couple of shows with the Sony F900.  One show I recorded at 23.976.  No complaints until after when the house handling the transfer said it would have been easier for their system at 29.97.  The next one I recorded at 29.97.  No problems.  Better safe than sorry.

Typically, most editing systems can handle the 23.976.  But ALL systems will handle 29.97.  And I'm not entirely sure the HVX-200 at 24P is really 23.976 like a professional HD camera.  29.97 will for sure be safe either way, and that's what I'd do.  I was on a couple of shows with the Sony F900.  One show I recorded at 23.976.  No complaints until after when the house handling the transfer said it would have been easier for their system at 29.97.  The next one I recorded at 29.97.  No problems.  Better safe than sorry.

I'd push back a bit with this--the whole Panasonic galaxy of cameras records 23.976 over 29.97 TC  (Varicam, SDX and HDX 900 etc.).  Just ask once more time.....

Philip Perkins

Guest Jeff Colon

This is why we show the camera(s) numbers and then smack the bones...  I know that many projects end up being slip synced using the slate clap... the length of cuts makes any drift a non-issue. 

I'm not talking big budget features... but a lot of the "HVX200" cinematography is er let's just say the workflow could be streamlined a bit...

Jeff c

I went through a whole HVX200 time code thing on playback for a music video. The cameraman was pressing for TRUE 24 frame time code playback since he was using 24P NATIVE on the camera.  On the Varicam, even 24P is recorded to tape with 60 fields and those fields are flagged for proper 24P playback.  The Varicam exclusively uses 29.97 as its time base in all modes.  The cameraman knew this but what was causing him pause was that the HVX200 has a special mode where it only records the 24 flagged frames to the P2 card, thus saving a great deal of precious P2 space. 

I stood firm for 29.97 unless he could show proper evidence that the camera indeed did a true 24fps.  We did the project at 29.97 and that IS the proper rate -- even in NATIVE mode.  The editing was to be in 29.97 so we couldn't go far wrong.

I'm voting with the majority here.  I don't know if there is ever a case for doing 23.976 with a Panasonic, but if in doubt, use 29.97.

John Blankenship

Well an interesting point here, the P2 card.

Does the fact the cameras are recording non linear now throw a new twist into the mix?

In the ever so complicated world of evolving camera standards and prosumer gimmicks Im really having a tough time trying to make sense of things. Will there ever be a standard set for these things set or will there be a "revolution " with every model of cameras comming out anually.

I want my Nagra 4.2 back!

FYI: Panasonic's last tape based camera stopped with the AJ HDX900. All future cameras will be P2 technology.  As for Sony they will be moving forward with the XDCAMHD (Blu-Ray discs) and the memory stick pro-sumer cameras. So I guess the answer is yes non linear is here to stay.

Goody, I guess.  So TC will be even more important now that there won't be any "roll" numbers, and they'll be downloading the cards and wiping them on the set.  Maybe we should (finally) have more than 24 TC hours available....

Philip Perkins