Windows 8 is amazing!!!!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ubuntu is great but it is doomed to never catch up with windows. The main problem is the open source drivers and software.

I had a discussion with Matthias at RME long time ago about future fireface Linux drivers. He said it will never happen because of all the technologies they want to keep secret...

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

Dropbox works fine for me with the newest OS X. I don't do post, so I have less potential for problems with intense apps. I don't use Protools on my personal computers, so I don't have that to worry about.

Now that think about it, I am happy to realize I used Dropbox way more than I burned DVDs in 2011!

This is good to know. When Lion first came out Dropbox didn't work with it. I guess it does now.

I have been running trial version of windows 8 for a couple of months now on my desktop. It happens to be a touch screen, however I don't use this at all. The trial version expires in January, when I will have to purchase, or go back to Windows 7. I hadn't thought to run it on my Transformer Tablet, but will consider this when the full version is released. But loving it so far.

I miss VAX/VMS, CP/M, Apple DOS, and of course the uber advanced MS-DOS.

I still have a complete set of MS-DOS 3.3 floppies (with manuals) if you ever need to re-install it on your hard drive...

Those, and the original WordPerfect 4.2 floppies that I have, are going to make me a rich man some day.

I still have a complete set of MS-DOS 3.3 floppies (with manuals) if you ever need to re-install it on your hard drive...

Those, and the original WordPerfect 4.2 floppies that I have, are going to make me a rich man some day.

Stock up on the dot-matrix printer ribbons too, nothing like the sound of dot-matrix to let you know your computer is hard at work.

I have been running trial version of windows 8 for a couple of months now on my desktop. It happens to be a touch screen, however I don't use this at all. The trial version expires in January, when I will have to purchase, or go back to Windows 7. I hadn't thought to run it on my Transformer Tablet, but will consider this when the full version is released. But loving it so far.

Transformer will not be able to run win8.

The new windows computers will be running a custom bios that would not allow Linux or OSX to be installed. It is too soon to talk about it but maybe somebody will find a way around it.

To be honest this is a dick move by Microsoft....

If you dont like windows 8 interface just run the desktop mode which is 99% the same as windows 7 .

It is good they left it on.

Also you can use windows XP if you want. All software will work on an OS from 11 years ago. Windows is not like OSX "every upgrade does not need new drivers and new software".

What nostalgia! Every major telecine house in LA -- the few that can still transfer film in real-time -- are using a DOS application for editing.

I'll say this: at least Windows 7 (and 8 ) are not as stupid as Vista. Vista is pretty annoying. I haven't upgraded my Windows machines beyond that yet... but they're paid for.

So what is better about W8 vs W7? I don't use touch screen stuff at all. W7 has worked very well so far on one of my studio computers and my netbook.

phil p

The interface is so well defined. Metro style- similar to a windows phone. Simple, clean and easy interface.

What nostalgia! Every major telecine house in LA -- the few that can still transfer film in real-time -- are using a DOS application for editing.

I'll say this: at least Windows 7 (and 8) are not as stupid as Vista. Vista is pretty annoying. I haven't upgraded my Windows machines beyond that yet... but they're paid for.

Vista was ok after service pack 1. As a general rule I don't upgrade a windows OS before the SP1 is released.. Windows 7 was the only exception

The Cheeto issue is the most thoughtful comment in the thread. My problem will be with buttery popcorn. I guess it's Windex and Camo pants for me.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

How do we resolve the issues surrounding touch screens and Cheetos?

LMAO! Windex and camo pants...

OSX users you can stay away from this topic because there is NO TOUCH SCREEN APPLE PC available!!!!

Not to kick the hive here, but I've been using a touchscreen with a Mac on my sound-cart (running Metacorder) for like 6 or 7 years now. So Apple doesn't currently offer an off-the-shelf touchscreen [notebook-style?] computer? Is that the assertion here? Just wondering...

~tt

Technically, neither do Microsoft.

Technically not Microsoft but other manufacturers have made tablets for Windows for many years. How did this turn in to a Microsoft Apple argument again? I posted a link for whoever would like to test run Windows 8. If you like apple stick with it if you use windows and want to check Windows 8 for free go to the link and install it.

Technically not Microsoft but other manufacturers have made tablets for Windows for many years. How did this turn in to a Microsoft Apple argument again? I posted a link for whoever would like to test run Windows 8. If you like apple stick with it if you use windows and want to check Windows 8 for free go to the link and install it.

Dude, I'm not fighting you. And I'm definitely not making this Apple Vs. Microsoft. That was done waaaaayyy up there ^^.

LMAO! Windex and camo pants...

Not to kick the hive here, but I've been using a touchscreen with a Mac on my sound-cart (running Metacorder) for like 6 or 7 years now. So Apple doesn't currently offer an off-the-shelf touchscreen [notebook-style?] computer? Is that the assertion here? Just wondering...

~tt

Slight thread-jack: how do you like Metacorder w touchscreen--does it mean you can hide your keyboard most of the time? One issue I always had w/ MC on a cart was where to put the laptop or the keybd of a Mini.

phil p

Slight thread-jack: how do you like Metacorder w touchscreen--does it mean you can hide your keyboard most of the time? One issue I always had w/ MC on a cart was where to put the laptop or the keybd of a Mini.

phil p

Hey Philip,

Here are a couple of old pics, but still my current setup for Metacorder:

post-379-0-92538100-1339002934.jpg

post-379-0-17854900-1339003003.jpg

post-379-0-68884100-1339003080.jpg

The MBP on top is not running Metacorder -- it's there for other purposes, and as a backup in case the MacMini goes down (has yet to disappoint in 6 or 7 years now)...

The MacMini and HD's are on a back shelf behind the keypad (iRocks) and the (Liliput) 8" touchscreen is removable for transport. I use a Kensington optical wireless mouse in addition to the keypad.

I absolutely love using Metacorder with this touchscreen -- it's just big enough to get (as many tracks as I'll ever need) onscreen, and the keypad is up and out of the way, but accessible enough to be effective when needed.

Sorry for perpetuating the threadjack...

uh... Windows 8, yeah... I will have to check it out.

~tt