Editor's Guild "contest"

Jeff Wexler

I found this to be a very interesting endeavor, sponsored by the Motion Picture Editors Guild with active participation by a company that is in the business of setting up editing rooms and renting editing equipment.

from the MPEG announcement:

Atomic Film Company, Inc. is proud to announce the first

ERGONOMIC ELECTRONIC EDITING BENCH

Designed By and For Members of Local 700

Purpose: To design an Avid bench which balances ergonomic concerns with aesthetics, which is flexible enough to be used by editors, assistants and digitizers, and which respects the cost of fabrication.

Requirements:

1.) The bench should be no larger than a 4’ x 8’ sheet of plywood.

2.) The bench should fold up easily for storage and for shipping.

3.) The bench may consist of additional tables or bridges.

4.) Drawings must be dimensioned.

5.) Materials, colors and finishes must be specified.

Sponsorship: Atomic Film Company, Inc.

Judges: The judging panel will consist of four editors, four assistant editors and Joel Marshall of Atomic Film Company.

Eligibility: Contestants may be either an individual guild member or may consist of teams of active members of Local 700.

How old is this posting?

I talked to Joel Marshall last week or so and he said he was selling Atomic Film co.  So I don't know if this project is still on track. Perhaps he is taking it on personally.  He has always been a kind of innovator in the world of editing support hardware. But I think business has been so bad with editing moving from facilities to individuals with FCP or an AVID in their basement, that he decided to get out.  He has been selling off all his Kem and Moviola editing machines at 17 cents a pound.  Sad but true.

---Courtney

How old is this posting?

---Courtney

It is current as of today. In the announcement it says "Deadlines for submissions:  Wednesday, September 5, 2007" so it is a current thing. I looked up Atomic Film Co. and there are TWO it seems...  one is the editorial rental company and the other is a production company listed on IMDB. Are they the same? I don't really know much about either so I cannot speculate.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler