Sennheiser 8070 backgorund noise

Manel

Hi all,

I'm a proud owner or a Sennheiser 8070. Sounds great until it stops sounding great...

I heard a low background noise on it, I wasn't sure if it was the atoms noise or what... I compared it to the MKH 60's. I have 2 of them and both sounded cleaner. Checked with a few COS-11 and they also sounded cleaner. My new mic had a fault!

I sent it to repair and THEN I was told that there was a batch of faulty mics... I'm still on the process of getting it repaired or replaced.

It would have been nice if it was recalled by Sennheiser...

So if you have one of them and live in Australia AND it does not sound as you think it should, enquire about it.

Hi all,

I'm a proud owner or a Sennheiser 8070. Sounds great until it stops sounding great...

I heard a low background noise on it, I wasn't sure if it was the atoms noise or what... I compared it to the MKH 60's. I have 2 of them and both sounded cleaner. Checked with a few COS-11 and they also sounded cleaner. My new mic had a fault!

I sent it to repair and THEN I was told that there was a batch of faulty mics... I'm still on the process of getting it repaired or replaced.

It would have been nice if it was recalled by Sennheiser...

So if you have one of them and live in Australia AND it does not sound as you think it should, enquire about it.

Both my brand new MKH8060 and MKH8040 had severe issues and had to be sent back.

Thankfully both of mine have been back with me now for several months with no issues (8060 replaced, 8040 repaired).

The 8000 series are all gorgeous sounding mics with impressively low noise, but I do agree that they should consider a recall if issues like this are still popping up after brand new purchases.

I literally just got my 8070, 8060 and 8040 back from syntech up in syd (distributors in aus), and it seems it is literally a problem with MOST of the first batch that was sent to australia, if you didnt have a problem straight up it would happen within a few months (for example my 8060 only cocked up after 2 months of fairly heavy usage).

The guy who I normally deal with from Technical Workshops told me it was literally the stupid manufacturing fault in that it was a washer made of the incorrect material that was doing the damage. I have no idea whether that is true but that is indeed a stupid fault.

It seems Syntech has been happy to not tell anyone until a repair enquiry has been made , which is just super disingenuous... Anyways, mine we checked, fixed, and they sound clean as a whistle, so far, at least from using them the last couple of days.

Agree with jaymz they are a beautiful sounding mic, the only thing I would say is that I have found their shotgun-lobar varieties (8060 8070) are supremely unforgiving, unlike a cs3e or cmit5u, for example. But... that is why you call in the pros isnt it :P

• 4 weeks later...

well well well...

Was listening back to some dialogue I recorded for a commercial the other day, noticed a low-level hissing sound on the MKH8060 track. Definitely not the noise floor of the mic itself, I did a test where I level matched it with several other mics which all supposedly have higher A-Weighted noise levels. None of them had this hissing sound present, and NTG-1 sounded quieter by comparison...so something's definitely wrong.

Looks like it'll be going back to the mothership a second time (though this one is a replacement of the previous), will call Sennheiser tomorrow. The MKH8040 is still perfectly fine though, at least that's a plus.

• 6 months later...

Hi guys I finally just discovered this thread after a long time to trying to do a reduction debug method. So it seems everyone has been experiencing the same problem yet failed to recall the bad batches right ?

This exact report I have also been experiencing on long records and is random so hard to replicate, but the noisy noise floor issue is constant and thought initially it was something to do with the sound devices gear.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/741766-mkh8000-intermitent-noise.html

So the solution is to goto straight to syntech and they replace it for you right ?