Funny grip electric guys

AudioMTL

I find grip and electrics offensive in general. No consideration for sound issues on a consistent basis. HMI ballasts in the same room we are shooting in, singing HMIs that "can't be swapped out", plenty of time to fuck around with reflector panels which are conveniently placed where the boom op needs to be and make no discernable difference to the shot, but not 5 seconds to do a "top chop" to get rid of shadows so we have a fighting chance to get quality sound with the boom. An AD on a recent shoot referred to them as "the stupid department". Oh yeah, the best time for them to roll up gels is during room tone. Bunch of cave men. I used to walk around the set when they were on a break and do the top chops myself with my old boom pole. No one ever noticed. Not always this way, of course, but endemic.

getting bitterer

Chris Newton

Chris Newton

Cavemen is quite accurate sometimes. You forgot jabbering away on their walkies or having their walkie on speaker and jacked all the way up, so it goes off in the middle of a take.

Then there is the growth of flags and "courtesy" flags for the camera EVERYWHERE, and always where the boom needs to be, while the sound crew is left to figure out where to stand while melting in the sun.

Don't forget the complaining about the trip hazard of the ONE SINGLE SOLITARY sound cable on the entire set, while ignoring the 50 miles of stingers sprayed around everywhere (and always perfectly parallel with the boom cable) feeding the aforementioned HMI ballasts.

On the ballasts - Do the ones you work with not have a "flicker free" mode, or are they just noisy in the larger sizes? The largest ones I've worked with so far have been Arri 1200watt or Mole (I think they were) 2k... All were silent. These are used by students, so they are quite beat to hell, so I wouldn't think it was a quiet-b/c-they-are-new luck.

I find that pretty damned offensive. I know some gay- or gay-friendly producers and directors who would go ballistic if something like that happened on their set.

I'd have no problem if they had just said "Germ-Free Zone." Big difference.

I don't think any jokes about AIDS are allowable nowadays. And I've known a a half-dozen industry people who died of it (one from a blood issue), including my old tape op from Modern Videofilm.

I spend most of my time as a set grip or dolly grip, though I still try to pick up ENG type sound work when I can. That sign is offensive to me and I can assure all of you that it would NOT be tolerated on any truck I work out of. Perhaps it's a joke and "you had to be there to get it" but there are just too many sensitive people on a set to make light of what is to some a daily part of their lives. Lots of people know someone who has died from this disease, and lots of people live with it every day ... maybe even some you work side-by-side with on set.

People can call me a caveman if it makes them feel better. I've been called much worse and it doesn't bother me. I TRY to be aware of other people's feelings, though sometimes I still say stupid things. My knuckles don't quite drag the ground, yet.

I find grip and electrics offensive in general. No consideration for sound issues on a consistent basis. HMI ballasts in the same room we are shooting in, singing HMIs that "can't be swapped out", plenty of time to fuck around with reflector panels which are conveniently placed where the boom op needs to be and make no discernable difference to the shot, but not 5 seconds to do a "top chop" to get rid of shadows so we have a fighting chance to get quality sound with the boom. An AD on a recent shoot referred to them as "the stupid department". Oh yeah, the best time for them to roll up gels is during room tone. Bunch of cave men. I used to walk around the set when they were on a break and do the top chops myself with my old boom pole. No one ever noticed. Not always this way, of course, but endemic.

getting bitterer

Chris Newton

Chris Newton

Life is what we make of it. I find it's easier if I stay positive. Or as my Mom use to say, "You catch more flies with honey then you do with vinegar".

I find that pretty damned offensive. I know some gay- or gay-friendly producers and directors who would go ballistic if something like that happened on their set.

I'd have no problem if they had just said "Germ-Free Zone." Big difference.

I don't think any jokes about AIDS are allowable nowadays. And I've known a a half-dozen industry people who died of it (one from a blood issue), including my old tape op from Modern Videofilm.

Firstly, aren't we past AIDS being a gay thing.

Secondly, AIDS can be funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lldrizLu_d8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The sign the OP posted is not very funny - It's childish and in poor taste, but not offensive if you don't associate the disease with a particular group of people.

I have known many wonderful G & E folks, and many "cave men" in that and other departments, including our own.

Robert

The sign the OP posted is not very funny - It's childish and in poor taste, but not offensive if you don't associate the disease with a particular group of people.

I only associate it with the dead people I know who had the disease. I wrote obituaries for two of them. It's kinda like joking about brain cancer or the flesh-eating bacteria disease: you can get away with it if you have the talent of, say, Chris Rock or the late Sam Kinison or Bill Hicks in front of an audience. Not so funny if it's a crude sign posted somewhere while you're working.

Usually, the G&E guys I deal with are decent, hard-working guys and I get along with them fine. No hostility either way. But signs in the workplace -- uh-uh, there's some Non-PC stuff I won't tolerate. And I joke around a lot... within limits.

...but not offensive if you don't associate the disease with a particular group of people.

From the sign Robert, it DOES associate gay men with the disease. Thats the whole heterosexist point of the "joke". It wouldn't be considered a jab (friendly or not) to insinuate that someone is from sub-saharan Africa, or suffered contraction from a blood-transfusion. In this culture, men of that ilk (and apparently, now some women as well have been co-opted) insult other men by either giving them feminine traits (you hit like a girl!), or calling them a "fag" in some way.

I have known many wonderful G & E folks, and many "cave men" in that and other departments, including our own.

I remember being staggeringly shocked when I found that so many men on a film set were identical to the "construction workers" I grew up with going to work with my Dad. Somehow I thought you would all be somewhat...refined...lol.

Best,

Steven