Setting TimeCode and Scratch Audio on the RED Epic

Mike Wally

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has had experience setting up an ERXTC with a custom cable with Mini-Stereo (scratch audio) and 4-pin lemo (time code) going into the RED Epic.

Are there settings I should be aware about? I'm assuming the Camera Dept will know the camera well, but I just want to make sure I'm as prepared as possible for it.

Thank you,

-w

Mike,

I just had one of those cables built for a customer and it tested perfectly. Rado posted the wiring before, but I had to contact him to clarify one of the connections.

3.5mm TRS 'Y' cable to 4 pin Lemo and 3.5mm TRS

Erx T to 3.5mm Tip

Erx R to Lemo pin 3

Erx S to 3.5mm sleeve and Lemo pin 1. The Lemo ground can only connect with pin 1, not the body.

There is a setting in the extended menu on the ERX to adjust where the timecode is output, tip or ring. Also, you should adjust the timecode output voltage to 2v- (EDIT: It should be 1v. See posts by Zack and Marc below) . You may also want to disable the external volume control, just in case.

-Ryan

for this wiring, the setting on the ERX would be "ON: out right". (as an FYI, the other settings are "on: out left tip" and "off").

edit:

For the camera, how to set it depends on the firmware version. For most versions, make sure that you set the audio source to "cam analog", the audio mode to "unbalanced" and the timecode souce to external.

The manual is here:

http://red.cachefly.net/EPIC_ops.pdf

The sections you want start on page 101 (timecode source and Audio) and go through page 105. Assuming you feed a scratch track, be sure to turn off the camera's limiter. Note that the inputs to the Epic and Scarlet are screwy 3.5mm balanced connectors, which are switchable between balanced and unbalanced. There is also a comment on page 13 of the manual (one I haven't seen until recently):

"The sound mixer operator should choose a mixer output level that aligns a reference tone signal to the 0dBu (0.775 volts RMS / -20dBFS) reference mark drawn through the camera’s Peak Meter, or if using +4dB as reference level, a mixer output level that aligns a reference tone signal to the +4dBu (1.23 Volts RMS / -16dBFS) reference mark. The 0dBu setting provides up to 24dB of input signal headroom above reference level before clipping (20dB for +4dBu reference level) and the maximum signal to noise ratio for the 24-bit digital recording."

I just put -20dBfs about in the middle of the meter display, and it seems to be about right. I do limit the feed going to camera in my mixer; I think the Epic limiters are a little too aggressive.

I agree with Zack, 1v peak-to-peak for TC signal should work.

I've been told that on some versions of firmware there is or was a bug that when the HDRx option was enabled on the camara, the camara wouldn't jam/sync to external TC, has anybody experienced this ?

I haven't experienced this, but I have heard the same thing. This problem was fixed in the current release build (V3.2.16) of the firmware that dropped last night.

I just put -20dBfs about in the middle of the meter display, and it seems to be about right. I do limit the feed going to camera in my mixer; I think the Epic limiters are a little too aggressive.

I haven't tested yet, but this release build also has limiter and gain controls in camera, so you'll be able to back it off if you don't want to completely disable it.

I wish the meter displays had a hash mark for 0dBu or some sort of indication of what the values on the 'goal posts' were. I set my levels to the right post and haven't had any complaints.

V3.2.16

UPDATE:

So, the ERXTC with the custom cable works perfectly.

I'm able to stream timecode from my Nomad6 to the Red Epic while sending scratch track as well.

I went into the set up on the ERXTC, and disabled the variable control. And set the unit to 12db (maybe it was -12, will check tomorrow)

There were a few settings on the RED itself I had to change in the TC menu and set up menu, will write a full report when I have time.

Othewise, it's been working great. No problems yet :).