Suggestions for surfing

Tyler Faison

I have a shoot coming up where they want our hosts to do some surfing. I haven't done any surfing content per se, but I can't imagine it'd be much different. I just wanted to see if others here have anything to suggest I look out for. I can't think of anything, but that's why I'm asking before I get there. Not sure what I'm fishing for, but I didn't see a whole lot of discussion about surfing specifically.

My setup:

SD 788T. Lectro SRs with Diversity Fin and RF distro most likely using MM400c transmitters with B6 lavs. Trying to find some WM transmitters in case I need to use 250mW. Cast will be in wetsuits while the instructor is in a tank top or t-shirt. No booming for this.

Things I get already:

- Mounting lav upside down as to not retain the water

- Doesn't transmit underwater, so mount the TX high

TIA

I travel with a choice of guns and pick the right one (hopefully) to suit the conditions....

As for getting sound on a surfer.... radio mics work out of the water, with usual range RF considerations. Maybe consider a backup set and forget body recorder system as your fall back. I've used them with great results, get the talent to flick the B3 head to clear any water beads when they surface and you have amazing sound....

Rain, no problem.

Saltwater, big problem

Really, so I can let our micron Tx and cos-11 go out on talent in pouring rain without fear ?

Ie always wrapped the radios when it starts to rain... If a drop goes into the capsule??!! Or worse the electronics in micron short?!

Saltwater will quickly corrode electronics. Rain water may short out electronics, but from the rainforest to the arctic circle, I have never had it happen on an ENG shoot.

Under normal rainy conditions, you will be ok. Obviously, you should do what you can to keep everything dry, but a little rain will have a hard time working it's way into the case of a transmitter. As far a lav mics go, I have had sweat (lots of salt) and rain get onto the capsule, but it never caused any permanent damage.

Um, I wouldn't get too excited about sending your wireless into the wet, There's a reason why the Lectrosonics waterproof transmitters exist. I've definitely had Um 400s be damaged by fresh water. And destroyed by sweat. I love my waterproof Lectro MM400 transmitters and look forward to acquiring one or two of the new WM series as well.

As for lavs, the newest cos 11's are somewhat water resistant, but the only mics I would send into salt water are the countrymans. I've used the EMW's, and I believe the B3 and B6s are equally waterproof. And even then, they get rinsed with fresh water and dried carefully before they get put away.

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

I don't want to start a Gear War, but Micron Tx501's are a very different animal than a UM400.

I have owned both and I have been impressed and disappointed by both. I have had a Lectro tx die from sweat getting into the case and corrode a circuitboard, never with a Micron. I have used both in wet environments and they have both survived. I don't mean to imply that either would survive being submerged in ANY liquid.

Water and electronics don't mix. Salt water kills electronics dead. Some lav mics tolerate fresh and salt water (as noted rinse with fresh water ASAP). The active electronics needs to be waterproofed - Aquapac make a number of good solutions.

Please remember that no matter what "waterproof" solution you use there is an inherent risk of permanent damage if the waterproof seal is compromised. I always talk to production and let them know of this risk; "recorded under instruction of production"

I travel with a choice of guns and pick the right one (hopefully) to suit the conditions....

As for getting sound on a surfer.... radio mics work out of the water, with usual range RF considerations. Maybe consider a backup set and forget body recorder system as your fall back. I've used them with great results, get the talent to flick the B3 head to clear any water beads when they surface and you have amazing sound....

what wind protection do you put on a lav that s been submerged and where do you put the pack tx?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Hockwork

There's a ground why the Lectrosonics waterproofed transmitters live. I've definitely had Um 400s be dilapidated by unfermented h2o. I eff my water proof MM00 transmitters and care advancing to effort one or two of the new WM series as healthy. As for lavs, the newest cos 11's are somewhat element defiant.