• 2 weeks later...

Today's find:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cwg/4469352677.html

SHOOTING A PARTY SCENE for a webisode on June 1st and need an excellent sound person. The production is small and so is the budget so we can only offer a day rate of $100/day. It is a SAG production and we are professionals. Please reply with your reel and if you are available. 
Production can be stressful enough even when everything goes right so please have a great attitude and be willing to work with a young crew. Thanks

They have quite a few demands for their hundred bucks…

That's really my main beef: there are plenty of low-ball productions that can't offer much, and I understand there's a place in the "market" (such as it is) for all kinds of budgets, but have some perspective! Who do you think is willing to read CL and actually apply to such shit jobs, award-winning mixers?!

Rant over,

BK

Today's find:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cwg/4469352677.html

SHOOTING A PARTY SCENE for a webisode on June 1st and need an excellent sound person. The production is small and so is the budget so we can only offer a day rate of $100/day. It is a SAG production and we are professionals. Please reply with your reel and if you are available. 

Production can be stressful enough even when everything goes right so please have a great attitude and be willing to work with a young crew. Thanks

They have quite a few demands for their hundred bucks…

That's really my main beef: there are plenty of low-ball productions that can't offer much, and I understand there's a place in the "market" (such as it is) for all kinds of budgets, but have some perspective! Who do you think is willing to read CL and actually apply to such shit jobs, award-winning mixers?!

Rant over,

BK

Sound mixers don't usually have a "reel" or do they now days-----a "reel" wouldn't mean much for production sound because of post  production.

J.D.

Sound mixers don't usually have a "reel" or do they now days-----a "reel" wouldn't mean much for production sound because of post production.

J.D.

That request is an immediate red flag for me. If anyone asks me for a "sound reel" I miraculously discover I'm already booked for their intended shoot dates.

Cheers,

Evan

I usually copy  and paste these craigs list post and send them to local DP's

here is one reply:

" $200/day, bring your own gear and they want to see your reel?

I'd shoot a picture of a film reel and send that to him and say "Here's my reel fuck you and your 200 bucks."

Here is something for all the youths out there.

I like the part about... "Once we're pulling income, then it will be divided appropriately."

Team of College Grads looking for New Members (LA)

compensation: Projects to expand body of work/Portion from contests and monetization

Hey we're looking for responsible, mature, creative, and driven people to join our production team. We're a team of young, multi-faceted individuals that are looking for like-minded people that can contribute to the film/video making process. We have projects lined up and want to get started as soon as possible. 

THIS IS NOT FOR A SINGLE PROJECT OR SHOOT (emails referencing "the shoot" or "our next project" will be ignored. PLEASE SPECIFY "the team" in your email.)

Ideal team members:
~ Those just out of college or those in the 20s-30s looking to expand their body of work
~ Can't get enough of film/video making
~ Want to create great shorts and projects that will lead to bigger work
~ Have worked professionally and have experience
~ Passionate and good team skills/communication
~ RELIABLE
~POSITIVE/Optimistic
~ Everyone has slow times, so this is also ideal for those that wish to keep busy with great people during those times.

You will be joining a team, not a source of income, but the idea is to make shorts/vids that can be monetized on Youtube (our channel is already monetized from previous projects) as well as actively getting into commercial and video contests. Once we're pulling income, then it will be divided appropriately. We are considering all positions, so if you have a trade, don't hesitate to list it.

Positions:

GAFFER with own lighting equipment. 

DP with own gear (we have cameras, but it doesn't hurt to have more available).

CAMERA OPs with gear (steadicam/dolly/quadracopter).

COMPOSERS to create original music for shorts/vids.

SOUND MIXER with own gear.

MAKEUP ARTISTS with own gear.

GRAPHIC DESIGNERS 

3D EFFECTS ARTISTS

If interested, please email us and include a link to your youtube channel, Vimeo, Soundcloud, past work, etc. and include a little about yourself, what gear you have, and anything else relevant. If you know anyone else that might be interested, please forward this to them.

THANKS!

• do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

post id: 4450961947

posted: 

18 days ago  

updated: 

11 hours ago  

email to friend

♥ best of [?]

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cwg/4482061153.html

Check out the last line…

Need a sound person soccer game on FRIDAY May 23th 6pm. You'll be in the booth with the commentator and have to mike him. That's it.
About 3 hours of work only.
Must have boom and lavs.
There will be 5 more games coming so if all is good we continue working in all together.
Pls email indicating which camera you have.

• 4 weeks later...

"YOU BE GOOD AND THERE WILL BE MORE OF THIS"

x prohibited[?]  

Posted: 

15 hours ago  Sound Person Needed for 20-day non-union Run&Gun/Guerrilla feature

6541.png6541.png6542.png6542.png
marker-shadow.png

marker-icon.png

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

(google map) (yahoo map)

compensation: $90/day x 20 days
Skilled and experienced sound recording professional needed for feature film during 20-day non-union Run&Gun/Guerrilla feature film shoot in LA, starting late July.

Compensation is $90/day. Suitable candidates should have their own sound gear and mixer.

Reply with resume and link to demo reel/website, and please also advise what gear you have available to work with on the feature.

Our company will be filming two feature films before the end of the year and if we work together well, any crew members on this production will receive first consideration for all future productions.

Please be sure to include your location in your response, and please provide at least two references.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
www.dimenovelfilms.com

post id: 4525853307

posted: 

15 hours ago  

email to friend

♥ best of [?]

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cwg/4482061153.html

Check out the last line…

Need a sound person soccer game on FRIDAY May 23th 6pm..

Pls email indicating which camera you have.

So they need sound person with a camera? That's new, although I kind of like the direction this is going. Rent the whole package from the sound guy who throws in a camera just because he can

compensation: $90/day x 20 days

Skilled and experienced sound recording professional needed for feature film during 20-day non-union Run&Gun/Guerrilla feature film shoot in LA, starting late July.

I'd love to write them back and say, "$90 an hour is a perfectly acceptable rate, assuming a 12-hour day plus overtime after 10 hours. This is a little lower than my usual rate, but knowing you have more features in the future, I'll accept this deal for now. Let me know where to show up and I'll bring my equipment along and will be ready to go."

I'd love to write them back and say, "$90 an hour is a perfectly acceptable rate, assuming a 12-hour day.... Let me know where to show up and I'll bring my equipment along

Be aware that when you don't show up, they'll give you a long screaming lecture on how unprofessional YOU are.

CL: " if we work together well, any crew members on this production will receive first consideration for all future productions. "... for the

same $90/day all in and flat..?

and would anyone want to work with these serial abusers, anyway??

OK, I just got a request for students to work on a PGA project... (Producers Guild)... some names dropped include "Michael Douglas, Danny DeVito, Kathy Bates and..."

no pay at all ...

so I dig a bit and find out that the PGA is running this contest: " Make Your Mark " and it is a 24 hour shoot ( the PGA is only giving us 1 day to shoot (24) hours which is CRAZY but we have to do it. i have told everybody its a 24hour campout bring sleeping bags, pillows etc. we will probably start at 5am call time till we wrap but again we only have 24 hours...the gear: " This is the gear we have for the boom mics and recorder. its a ZOOM MODEL H4n  x 2 so we will need TWO boom operators and a Utility sound person. total of 3 "...This is a VOLUNTEERS ONLY cast & crew - PGA strict rules. ), and 51 hours total from start to finished movie... Is this how PGA members make their livings ?? Is this how PGA members make their movies ??

BTW, this crew has a writer/producer/director, 2 more producers,  " an Emmy award Winner DP and we will move at the speed of light. "

but wait....

there is more....

" but since we have a Amazing concept after the competition we will use my directors cut to pitch academy award writer who we know for a TV show so there is a bigger Picture! "

Edited by studiomprd

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, here is a job for Vin:

contact 

x prohibited[?]

Posted: 

14 hours ago  Sound Mixer With Equipment Needed For An Indian Feature Film

compensation: I would take care of your flight tickets, Food and stay expenses when here and would consider paying a VERY NOMINAL amount which is decent in Indian currency, but not big in Dollars.

I am looking for a Sound Mixer for an Indian Feature Film, who could also carry his equipment to India. I am a 2011 graduate from NYFA, Los Angeles and now back in India working on my debut theatrical film. This film which would be entirely shot in India, is heavy in content and talks about a very serious and universal theme with an American Girl as a protagonist. We are targeting International Film Festivals followed by a wide theatrical release in South India, Limited release over other parts of India and a possible limited International release in a few countries including US depending on the audience response. Anyone Interested, please email across your Resume and we could talk further.

• it's ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

post id: 4550610559

posted: 

14 hours ago  

email to friend

best of [?]

post-1622-0-45770300-1404404790_thumb.jp

This is worse.

contact 

x prohibited[?]  

Posted: 

8 hours ago  Sound Guy 7/5 - 7/7 (Los Angeles)
compensation: 250
Hello, I'm a sound mixer that needs a shoot covered! It's 2.5 days, Saturday-Monday (7/5 - 7/7). The third day 7/7 is a half day that wraps by early afternoon. Total pay is $250 (basically $100/day).

You need your own gear!

I have the script, call sheet and contacts, just need YOU! If you can cover this and do a good job, I can throw other gigs your way. Contact me ASAP and I'll get you signed on, Thanks!

post id: 4551465119

posted: 

8 hours ago  

email to friend

♥ best of [?]

This one is the most fun you can have with your pants on!!

I wonder if I can get the meals to go?

x prohibited[?]  

Posted: 

7 hours ago  Sound person needed for short film

6539.png6539.png6540.png6540.png
marker-shadow.png

marker-icon.png

(google map) (yahoo map)

Need sound mixer/boom op with own equipment for a short film.

Production dates are August 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. 

Rate is $100 per day.

Will be a fun short and we're feeding ya two meals per day. 

Lookin' for passionate people that love filmmaking and telling stories. You're not just the sound guy/girl. YOU are bringing something to the table and we respect that, we want you to like the project, come up with some ideas of your own (a visual story, so lots of room for foley), and at the end of the day, we want you to have fun. 

So take out your sound gear, keep your pants on, and let's make a movie together.

post id: 4558165901

posted: 

7 hours ago  

email to friend

♥ best of [?]

All in for $20 like a cheap whore:

x prohibited[?]  

Posted: 

9 hours ago  Seeking Sound Equipment & Possibly Operator for new Web Series! (glendale)

6535.png6535.png6536.png6536.png
marker-shadow.png

marker-icon.png

(google map) (yahoo map)

compensation: $20 a day (cash)
Our company is in need of basic sound equipment (recorder, shotgun mic, boom pole) for Wednesdays and Thursdays of this month (16th, 17th, 23rd, 24th, 30th, & 31st) . We can offer $20 a day (in cash) for the equipment, and I promise you we will treat it like our firstborn child (I will personally babysit it). Huge plus if you would like to be the sound operator and join this fun and easy-going crew! Unfortunately, there's no pay but we will provide meals and tasty snacks. Also, this company is just starting up, so there's plenty of room for growth and networking opportunities. If interested, please reply with the dates you can provide your equipment (and possibly your services). Many thanks!

post id: 4559881284

posted: 

9 hours ago  

email to friend

♥ best of [?]

this company is just starting up, so there's plenty of room for growth...

Think about it: some day they might be able to pay their production mixer ("sound operator") $1/day.

That would be an INFINITE RAISE!

...and networking opportunities

You'll get to hang out with somebody who rented his Red for $20/day! And a whole production crew that's willing to work for free!

Imagine the high-class work they'll be able to feed you!

(If the crew works for free, do PAs have to pay to get on the set?)

(If the crew works for free, do PAs have to pay to get on the set?)

Funnily enough, I got a call for such a job once:

Three months in the middle of absolutely nowhere. No pay and they wanted crew members to contribute towards accomodation and food. Naturally, I declined.

That PGA 51 hr festival is just a way to break in future apprentice producers and see who can cut it. Imagine we had a obstacle course for sound mixing. Just unplug every wire and leave it out at 6 am and go "well you have 5 channels available, wood floors, 5 Central AC units, picky actors, and were shooting at a race in time square in an hour ,good luck". Good luck to anyone wanting to be in the DGA. Big commitment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk