One of your fellow sound mixers needs some help.

Reply vm5pg-3897564405@gigs.craigslist.org [?]  flag [?] : miscategorized prohibited spam best of 

Posted: 2013-06-26, 6:15PM PDT

sound mixer replacement for 2 films (Los Angeles) I am a production sound mixer looking to replace myself on June 30th and July 3rd. The gig is for $150/DAY and you should have a boom and two lavs.

Thanks very much
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
  • Compensation: 150/DAY

Posting ID: 3897564405

email to a friend

Reply vm5pg-3897564405@gigs.craigslist.org [?]  flag [?] : miscategorized prohibited spam best of 

sound mixer replacement for 2 films (Los Angeles) I am a production sound mixer looking to replace myself on June 30th and July 3rd. The gig is for $150/DAY and you should have a boom and two lavs.

Thanks very much

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

email to a friend

Low budget/passion projects don't bother me so much as the expectations that the "producers" seem to have i.e. a professional loadout and final product with no accomodations made elsewhere in the production process.

"What?! No Comteks?!?! I asked for more comteks!!!!"

"you don't have two lavs?!?!"

Gives me the rage!

Thanks very much

email to a friend

I used to reply to these low-ball "job" offers on CL (and now on Mandy, and -gasp- on Media Match, etc.!) by explaining that what they're doing is gambling that the mixer won't get a proper offer during the shoot because, guess what? They will bail faster than you can say "Sound is speeding!"

I'm shocked to say, noone has replied to me yet…    ;-)

BK

http://staffmeup.com/jobs/5906

1 x 788 mixer
1 x camera links (or HOPS )
1 x boom
4 x wireless mics
1 x 416 sennihser

- One 12 track recorder (for five inputs)

- One camera link (or HOPS) .. They don't have take decision yet. (in the same price right?)

- One empty boom

- Four wireless mics

- One 416 sennihser

$350 it's ok? lol..

Responded to a CL ad for a paid quick gig in downtown LA.

Over the phone it turned into a free gig (with the promise of paid work in the future. He's totally good for it).

Then he asked me if I could "process and mix the audio, you know, sound design". I tried to get at what he was saying, and he basically asked me to take two hours worth of multi-tracked audio and mix it all so that he could put it in with the video edit (down to 30 seconds). Apparently a guy he hired before had given him audio with "a lot of air in it. I want the air mixed out". He didn't understand the concept of mixing the audio after you edit the images.

I declined further when he also told me he'd be giving me his companies business cards to hand out, in case anyone wanted one. Oh, and he wanted "five girls on the reality show to be wired up".

Holy shit what did I step into. He had a google voice number, too, for true professionals who can't pay for cellphones!

"Holy shit what did I step into. "

This is why you wanted to move to the land of the fruits, nuts, and the flakes. 

This is Los Angeles...... with so many film schools grads, video camcorders and a firewire cable ....... ready to make their mark in the world.

Usually they leave a mark.. but it's more like crap than anything else. Watch where you step Nick.

Responded to a CL ad for a paid quick gig in downtown LA.

Over the phone it turned into a free gig (with the promise of paid work in the future. He's totally good for it).

Then he asked me if I could "process and mix the audio, you know, sound design". I tried to get at what he was saying, and he basically asked me to take two hours worth of multi-tracked audio and mix it all so that he could put it in with the video edit (down to 30 seconds). Apparently a guy he hired before had given him audio with "a lot of air in it. I want the air mixed out". He didn't understand the concept of mixing the audio after you edit the images.

I declined further when he also told me he'd be giving me his companies business cards to hand out, in case anyone wanted one. Oh, and he wanted "five girls on the reality show to be wired up".

Holy shit what did I step into. He had a google voice number, too, for true professionals who can't pay for cellphones!

I don't understand - is this a production job or a post job?

At what point should we start making some kind of effort to educate these "producers"? I get that most of us don't operate at this level, but this ignorance seems to be cropping up more and more, to the point that a greater percentage of "producers" has no idea of how to do things…

BK

From Mandy. Words..... there are not enough....

http://www.mandy.com/1/jobs3.cfm?v=55495769&skill=crw&terr=uscs

Production Jobs > USA California - South > View Job Details Create RSS feed rssicon.gif   Vacancy:  Full Crew needed for in Maui Employer:  Nvisionate Studios Location:  Maui Duration:  3 days, starts 10/01/2013

Payment is on a low paid basis.

Full crew needed for a dramatic short starting in October

Positions needed:

Line Producer
Director
Location Scout
DP & AC
Sound
Gaffer
Grip
PA
Editor

There are other crew positions available. If you have a specialty and you're interested, please email me.

After this project we have several shorts and a web series coming up. So if we don't pick you for this project, you might be part of the next one.

What's in it for you:

You will receive an IMdB credit and a copy of the final project. On top of it you will get lot's of great new contacts, be part of our professional facebook filmmaker group and not to forget, you will have a fun time in a professional environment with us on set. But please keep in mind, this project is an ultra-low budget film and therefore we won't be able to pay you. Which also means, if you're not already in Maui, you'll have to pay for your own flight and accommodation.

Shoot Location: In and around Maui (location not specified yet)

We're looking forward to hear from you!

Apply to: Julia

Hey Senator, wanna go to Hawaii and make this turd sound great?

THINK OF IT, WE GET AN IMDB CREDIT AND WE GET TO CHOOSE WHERE WE STAY!

And don't forget we also are allowed the privilege of joining the professional facebook filmmakers club! Complete with badges and secret handshakes and no pay ever and some Sub Club point stickers.

Now here is a great CL Post:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cwg/3941713950.html

Looking For a Great Crew If you post in this thread or creative thread asking for people to work for free and wonder why you get flagged, keep reading. If you're not paying, then post in the barter or volunteer sections or better yet, look for the local groups on other sites so you can exploit those people. If you post looking for an 'intern', more than likely violating state laws:
1.. The training is similar to that which would be given in a vocational
school;
2.. The training is for the benefit of the trainee;
3.. The trainees do not displace regular employees, and work under close
observation;
4.. The employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage
from the activities of the trainees and on occasion the employer?s
operations may actually be impeded.

And if this video describes anything in your post:

Remember, you get what you pay for and if you really believe in your project you will find a way to fund it so that everyone gets paid. With the internet in this day and age, getting funding is a lot easier and you'll have a better end result and not waste anyone's time with your delusions.
  • Compensation: Common Sense

I seemed to have missed this the first 3 years. 

Must be some kind of joke.

Reply v5scn-3953787431@gigs.craigslist.org [?]  flag [?] : miscategorized prohibited spam best of 

Posted: 2013-07-23, 5:26AM PDT

Location Sound Mixer
00303_4Xjlhz02GOP_600x450.jpg
Location sound mixer needed for two morning shoots in Los Angeles on SATURDAY (7/27) and SUNDAY (7/28).

Short film submission for the No Budget Film Festival, 2 location shoot with a skeleton crew, 3 on-camera principals.

Wish we could pay but the production has to spend zero money on crew to qualify for the festival. Food, credit and good karma are on offer.
  • Compensation: no pay

Posting ID: 3953787431

Posted: 2013-07-23, 5:26AM PDT

email to a friend

http://nobudgetfilmfest.com/

Reply xzzdn-3954145355@gigs.craigslist.org [?]  flag [?] : miscategorized prohibited spam best of 

Posted: 2013-07-23, 8:35AM PDT

Boom Mic Help Wanted $8/hr ( ((Downtown)))

We are looking for Boom mic help operate with our equipment. Call (646) 355-6351 to set up an appointment or please come by Today. We are located at 650 South Spring st suite 805.

• Compensation: 8/hr

Posting ID: 3954145355

Posted: 2013-07-23, 8:35AM PDT

Updated: 2013-07-23, 8:35AM PDT

email to a friend

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cwg/3955005405.html

$450 - Filming July 29th for 10 days. Location Sound Recordist Needed (Atlanta ) We are filming from July 29th - Aug 7th. Its an indie love film. Would prefer lavs. The budget is $450, food on set, imdb credit. Please send your work reel if you have one and a list of equipment you have. Thanks! i
  • Compensation: $450

Yes that's $450 total all in.  I guess $45/day all in isn't bad for a starving newbie.  After all it includes food too. <G>

Here's a new one - not from CL, but filmandtvpro, so the attitude is permeating everywhere:

http://www.filmandtvpro.com/us/job_view.php?uid=187690&c=&utm_source=jobalert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=job187690&

They have a celebrity, and they want a sound mixer who can handle him/her and be discreet, all for $200. Where do they get these people?

BK

Sorry, I couldn't resist - here's another one:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cwg/3956847402.html

I mean, where do we start?:

Seeking an experienced and professional Production Sound Mixer and Sound Recorder for commercial.

Job Description:
Record 4 separate channels of audio using high-quality and up to date sound equipment, preferably Sennheiser. Need 3 lavs and boom microphones.
Will be a large production with multiple background actors (100-110) & 3 Principlal Actors.
May need more equipment after we have met at the shooting location.
Production Date: Saturday, August 10th (One day ONLY)

Requirements:
Must be experienced and professional with over 3 years of experience
Must have up to date equipment; preferably Sennheiser sound devices
Must be available for production date on 8/10/13
Must be available to meet at shooting location this week
Must be willing to sign contract once position has been accepted

Compensation:
$400

Please submit ONLY if you meet ALL requirements.
Forward audio reels and recent work you've done to the email provided.