Block 21 in LA, is it just ok or excellent?

beretta

I can usually find something to use on Block 21 in LA, but I am also finding that pretty much everyone has block 21 and so the airspace can get pretty crowded. A production I worked on recently wanted to use 2 sound guys running the Zaxcom wireless transmitters with SD card recording capability. They knew that I and the other mixer both had Lectrosonics and so production went out and rented 6 Zaxcom kits without consulting me or the other guy. Guess what? All 6 units were all on Block 21 and we had a hell of a time finding enough clear space for all of them to work.

I seem to have a lot of success with Block 22. Best thing anywhere especially in a major metropolitan area is to have a choices. I use Blocks 21,22,25 and 26 mostly and have always made it work for me.

I use Blocks 19 and 21, and typically can find at least a couple of dozen open channels with no intermod problems.

Interestingly, I've worked at the same downtown location 4 times in the last month, and several times I've discovered interference on certain frequencies that wasn't there the day or week before. Crap happens. I retune and move on.

I think the combination of having receivers with a tracking front end and well-positioned sharkfins can overcome a lot of marginal conditions.