slideshow from Don Coufal's Boom class

Jeff Wexler

I am curious if this link to my website works. Anyone interested, click on the link and let me know if it takes you directly to a slideshow (Quicktime movie) that we showed at Don's class last year. This is images only, no content from class, sorry.

http://jwsound.net/Site/dcboomshow.html

Thanks,  Jeff Wexler

It worked great for me.  The quicktime window came up along with the description, it loaded fine, I clicked on the play button and away it went, taking me through decades of sets I would love to have been on.  I'm using an IBM (sorry Jeff) ThinkPad through my wireless DSL connection here at home.

Those are some awesome images.  My compliments.  I hope we get to experience the entire presentation at some point.

John Blankenship

All good here.

Great photos. Any chance that one of those seminars would ever make it to Chicago, ever?

I don't think that will happen but I am working on doing some more of these things and also working on getting the video of the previous one available. All of these things were done by our Education Committee at the Union so there are some obstacles to making these available to everyone. I know Don would like it to be available for everyone, maybe even as a DVD or a download, so we are exploring those things.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Jeff,

Thank you fo your effort with regard to educational material. I personally find it very very valuble. For example the Lectrosonics seminar that was available through several discussion groups proved to be a huge hit. I would love to see more of that. You folks in LA and possibly NY have an educational commitee in place that facilitates the knowledge transfer from one generation of sound professionals to another, the rest of the country unfortunately is of left behind. A video format wheather DVD or a download would be an excellent start. Thank You.

• 2 weeks later...

hello everyone, hope everybody is doing well.

a couple questions and thoughts out there for all of us in JW's virtual world.

1-would anyone be interested in attending a Audio class. it would be in person for the L.A. crowd and on the web for the virtual crowd. (probably several different topics and on several different products)- maybe two levels (beginners and advanced)

if so please give me your comments or any thoughts you might have. 

2- any pro or semi pros who are in between gigs or out of work (maybe the local educational committee can get behind this ?? be interested in teaching a course on there favorite skill, topic or product. to share there knowledge and pass it on to aspiring mixers, who would like to "sharpen" there skills.

just a thought , because I get asked at least once a month, if there are any audio courses from customers I know and from customers on the phone. looking for any leads on this matter. maybe when "hollywood" starts to slow down for the holidays, we can get something going if there is enough demand.

second thought,

would anyone subscribe to a virtual tech web site. a step by step manual

feature, almost like a dvd ram but right to the main points. 1-forgot how to mirror a particular folder (click, there it is) forgot how to format a drive or ext dvd drive (click,there it is) forgot how to delete non circled takes (click,there it is) forgot how to set a TX to ifb mode (click,there it is)

the reason for this is, customers come in weekly with there products or call for the info that they need. some have to leave the set and jam over to the shop on there lunch break to dump a file or burn a dvd etc. (a mixer recently asked me if there was a tech site or a cheet sheet that they could find on the web)  I was thinking, if I was a mixer it would be cool if I had a tech site subscription, that I could be anywhere with internet access and most importantly at anytime at anyplace and get that info. its true manufactorers have there products and manuals on line. but some times it takes to long to navigate the website and your lucky to even find those points at all.

If there was a tech site with the info for the NLR's and mixers or wireless systems of the manufactorers that are being used today. to "cut to the chase" and find that particular info you need now and could get on a site designed just for the most important and common commands we use on these products, it might be cool for someone in singapore or australia or even a mixer in a downtown warehouse "soundstage" at 2:00 am and you could get that needed info in minutes and not hours.

most of you know me and know I have your backs what ever time it is or what ever day it is, I know a hand full of the mixers on this site have my cell # and know I will back them up no matter what, but the thought of a tech manual virtual step by step site might be cool.

thanks. 

ps,

I think the audio class might be a good thing.