Intern Available

Thanks John. I do have a utility sound tech kit. I have everything but a multi tool. Do you prefer Gerber or Leatherman? My instructor prefers Gerber because he's old school and he likes that flick feature. I find that leatherman is sturdier and has less play in the pliers. The scissors are also more useful when cutting transpore tape.

The good news is, starting as a third, and even if you're called to boom, you don't need to have your own gear. For further reference, there is an older thread somewhere on here about what a boom op either should, or could, be expected to furnish. The bottom line requirement is "quite little," except for a great attitude and a willingness to work and stay focused.

The few things that would be helpful for you to provide are covered pretty well in that thread -- things like multi-tool, small flashlight, gloves (if you use them, many don't), your own preferred headphones (although, not usually necessary), and I believe there were a few other helpful suggestions. Hopefully, you can find the thread somewhere in the archives.

Many people (and I'm not saying you're in this category--it's a general, tangential comment) are in much too big a rush to purchase lots of equipment thinking that having the gear will make them a professional. 'Taint the case.

I'd also suggest getting to know your local vendor very well. If you don't have the money for the gear, and the production budget allows for it, then you can always rent. The guys at the Audio Department in Burbank have always been really good to me so I will always recommend them to anyone. If you have time one day you may want to stroll in there and get to know them. A good vendor's assistance and knowledge will be quite valuable as your skills and need for gear increases.

I rent from location sound. They give me a great student discount and the owner used to boom for my instructor back in the day. Today I rented a shotgun mic, and accessories from Sammys Camera. Mic, softie, shockmount, cables ond xlr to phono, phono to xlr all for $30

I'd also suggest getting to know your local vendor very well. If you don't have the money for the gear, and the production budget allows for it, then you can always rent. The guys at the Audio Department in Burbank have always been really good to me so I will always recommend them to anyone. If you have time one day you may want to stroll in there and get to know them. A good vendor's assistance and knowledge will be quite valuable as your skills and need for gear increases.

Doh, I'm the king of firing everything up the night before a shoot. Just double-checking every connection, getting backup cables, charging all the batteries, packing up all the cases, and making sure we have replacement gear if necessary is a huge chore. Troubleshooting track assignments, making sure we have all the expendables (lav mounts, gaffer tape, etc.), adapter cable, and so on is a real headache. I literally can't sleep unless I'm absolutely confident we've got everything on the truck we could possibly need.

I know what you mean smh. Its crazy but you can never be too sure rite?!

Doh, I'm the king of firing everything up the night before a shoot. Just double-checking every connection, getting backup cables, charging all the batteries, packing up all the cases, and making sure we have replacement gear if necessary is a huge chore. Troubleshooting track assignments, making sure we have all the expendables (lav mounts, gaffer tape, etc.), adapter cable, and so on is a real headache. I literally can't sleep unless I'm absolutely confident we've got everything on the truck we could possibly need.