Mc Mini

Daniel McIntosh

Does this new release indicate the Mac Mini may live a little longer?

http://www.apple.com/macmini/

BTW if one scrolls about half way down the page to the "Big Ideas" section there are links to mods and interesting uses of the Mini. Maybe a user here will post an unusual sound app. (I haven't incorporated a Mini on my cart yet.)

Does this new release indicate the Mac Mini may live a little longer?

BTW if one scrolls about half way down the page to the "Big Ideas" section there are links to mods and interesting uses of the Mini. Maybe a user here will post an unusual sound app. (I haven't incorporated a Mini on my cart yet.)

At the last big announcement event there was very little attention paid to the Mac Mini but it was in fact upgraded with faster dual core processors and higher capacity hard drives in the standard configuration. I think the ultimate destiny for the Mac Mini will be that it will be E-O-L (end of life) at some point in the fairly near future. It is an excellent machine but it may have trouble finding a real following with the general computing public. The Mac Mini's greatest value came from its small size and low price --- aimed particularly at those people who already had a keyboard, mouse and monitor. Now, with the incredible prices for the new full featured iMacs (with 20" and 24" displays) the overall cost of a new Mac Mini, a new monitor, keyboard and mouse, it just doesn't make sense.

For us, the Mac Mini is still a really useful computer because of its size and the possibility of reasonable DC powering and the use of smaller keyboards and monitors for cart use. The Mac Mini is quite an attractive option for those who do not wish to use a full laptop on their sound carts. The Mac Mini allows for more flexible placement of monitor display, keyboard and mouse, than the laptops. On the other hand, the laptop, with built in keyboard, trackpad and screen, there is nothing else to add (and the DC powering is already possible usually with a simple car adapter).

As for Mac software for cart based recording, there really is only 2 main choices that are in general use these days. That would be Metacorder from Gallery Software and Boom Recorder from Vos Games (Take Vos). Both are in fairly wide usage on many sound carts, either running off a Mac Mini or a laptop. Both of these software recording applications require the use of some hardware interface unit and there are several popular units in use (the MOTU Traveler being one of the most common).

Regards,  Jeff Wexler