Laptop mounts for the sound cart

Phil Palmer

This was touched on in the Rastorder sound cart thread and I want to explore it more.  I currently have my laptop mounted on a Ram Tough Tray.

http://65.102.174.116/rammount/productdetail.aspx?partnumber=RAM-234-3&searchTerm=ram2343&item=1

It has four mounting holes on the bottom, which I attached a plate, then a 5/8" receiver.  A little more hardware and there you go...it's on the cart.  The only problem is that it's a fixed mount.  I have to remove it for travel and storage.  I'd love a swing arm style with locking whatever...

Let's see some laptop mounts that folks are using on their carts.  Show and tell time...

Thanks,

~PWP

This was touched on in the Rastorder sound cart thread and I want to explore it more.  I currently have my laptop mounted on a Ram Tough Tray.

http://65.102.174.116/rammount/productdetail.aspx?partnumber=RAM-234-3&searchTerm=ram2343&item=1

It has four mounting holes on the bottom, which I attached a plate, then a 5/8" receiver.  A little more hardware and there you go...it's on the cart.  The only problem is that it's a fixed mount.  I have to remove it for travel and storage.  I'd love a swing arm style with locking whatever...

Let's see some laptop mounts that folks are using on their carts.  Show and tell time...

Thanks,

~PWP

The ones I saw were all custom -made.

Philip Perkins

I'm referring to the "swing-away" style mounts--is there an off-the-shelf vesion of those?

Philip Perkins

Not that I know of.  That's why I asked for some pictures or whatever.  To get an idea for a custom mount if I need to.

I know some people have crafted swing away mounts out of monitor wall mounts.  Some of these wall mounts have locking ability.  Might be something to rig up.

~PWP

Not that I know of.  That's why I asked for some pictures or whatever.  To get an idea for a custom mount if I need to.

Hi Phil,

Here's a few shots of my swing-out laptop tray -- extended, tucked under the mixer, and with it tucked under from above.  Advantages to it are that this is very lightweight and swings in and out well.  Disadvantages are that it's not sturdy enough to leave the computer on for anything but short moves, and it could use a more elegant fastening system than the fancy gaffer's tape you see in the photo.  Hope that helps!

nvt

post-176-130815074963_thumb.jpg

post-176-130815074967_thumb.jpg

post-176-130815074971_thumb.jpg

A Bogen Magic Arm with a monitor tray mounted on a Mafer gives solid support and you can position the laptop exactly where you want it.

Downers: It is heavy, and you need two hands to adjust it. No quick "swing out of the way" action.

You'll have to use heavy duty velcro on the laptop bottom to attach it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/325446-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_143N_Magic_Arm_Without_Camera.html

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/offonce/pid/3199

I haven't used this variable friction arm- it may allow one handed use.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/325444-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_244N_Variable_Friction_Magic_Arm.html

Funny this should come up as am typing this off my beta 0.l7 laptop mount.

My cart revolves around speedrail so I put a T that faces horizontally on the left front corner of the cart.

It isn't  tightened so it can rotate left and right. Off that comes a 12" pipe that ends in a right andgle that faces up.

Coming up from that is a 2" spud of speedrail that the plate for the laptop mounts, also un-tightened so it can rotate.

I have the same rig on the right side for sound reports and when I move far I pull the platters from the speedrail spuds and sing the arms to the side of the cart.

Pictures maybe soon if I can figure it out.

Scott Harber

Hi Phil,

Here's a few shots of my swing-out laptop tray -- extended, tucked under the mixer, and with it tucked under from above.  Advantages to it are that this is very lightweight and swings in and out well.  Disadvantages are that it's not sturdy enough to leave the computer on for anything but short moves, and it could use a more elegant fastening system than the fancy gaffer's tape you see in the photo.  Hope that helps!

nvt

That's pretty hip--I don't know how much more elegant it could be under the circumstances (which is what drives people to Mac Minis I guess).  Did you make that yourself?

One reason I'm still on a magliner/table style cart, despite the seductions of a vertical or case cart is that I often record to a laptop and like it firmly anchored with the connections protected in a way that they won't be stressed on a move.  I think Darren B had this pretty well worked out on his Metacorder rig.

Philip Perkins

That's pretty hip--I don't know how much more elegant it could be under the circumstances (which is what drives people to Mac Minis I guess). 

I am still considering a Mac Mini, but I want to see what next year's purported Apple sub-laptop looks like first.  I would like a more elegant solution than gaffer's tape in the meantime to secure the laptop to the tray -- hopefully I can find some clips or clamps that will work with what I've got without damaging the computer or tray.

Did you make that yourself?

No...I extensively modified my last cart every time I got an idea, and learned from that process that I'm better off opening my wallet than my toolbox when it comes to anything other than simple metalwork.  I'm pretty good with wiring and building electronics -- not so much with welding and wheel assemblies.  This laptop tray was commissioned as part of the custom cart I had built this last time.

One reason I'm still on a magliner/table style cart, despite the seductions of a vertical or case cart is that I often record to a laptop and like it firmly anchored with the connections protected in a way that they won't be stressed on a move.  I think Darren B had this pretty well worked out on his Metacorder rig.

I used a Magliner for years, but in New York it's just too difficult -- too hard to fit it in the inevitable tiny corners and too hard to carry it up stairs.  I still have it but now it's my follow cart (which can be left outside or downstairs from set).

Funny this should come up as am typing this off my beta 0.l7 laptop mount.

My cart revolves around speedrail so I put a T that faces horizontally on the left front corner of the cart.

Pictures maybe soon if I can figure it out.

Thanks Scott.  Would really like to see this mount and your speedrail cart design.

~PWP

Hello all,

Thanks for all the links and suggestions.  I am actually most interested in the swing out style of mount.  As I mentioned in my first post, I currently have a laptop mount that is in a fixed position.  This requires removal when moving the cart around.  I'd really like something that swings and locks into the cart in some way.

Here is my laptop mount...which is a Ram-Mount with some hardware store and grip equipment modifications.

Thanks...

~PWP

post-23-130815075071_thumb.jpg

post-23-130815075076_thumb.jpg

post-23-130815075081_thumb.jpg

I think the speedrail frame and platform for the rack cart design is a great way to go.  I looks very stable, well protected.

I had a speedrail cart for about seven years made of 3/4" rail.  Advantages were that it was very light, but disadvantages were that it did not hold up well to excessive bouncing and jouncing and a lot of weight.  After some years he little allen screws that close all the speed rail knuckles and joints were always coming loose and sections were always coming apart at inconvenient times.  I would replace the knuckles, screws and sometimes the rails themselves, but it took a lot of upkeep.  It was a stable cart for some years, but time and repeated off-roading adventures coupled with a lot of weight took its toll on the frame and wheels and axles and eventually I gave up on it. 

Scott's frame looks a bit more consolidated than mine was and he has less stuff on there, so hopefully he'll fare better.

Here's some pics of the rear wheel mounts. They are recessed from the sides to match the width of the boxes of the cart and set in towards the front to put the balance more forward making it easier to tip back on the beefier wheels.

Here's some pics of the back axel which is held by a piece of 1" stock cut the length of the speedrail set screws. Good times at metal shop.

Scott Harber

post-5-130815075138_thumb.jpg